[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baked Mac n' Cheese

darin3

I saw Bobby Flay do baked mac n' cheese on one of his Showdown shows. I knew I wasn't going to get as "fancy" as him when I tried it... but here's what I ended up doing:

3 cups of small shells pasta

5 "slices" of Velveeta

Cajun seasoning

1/4 cup of bread crumbs

1/4 cup of finely crushed Cheez-Its (I used Pepper Jack flavor)

1/2 cup milk

1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese (or so... :wacko:)

Boiled the pasta to al dente, mixed 1/4 of the milk and the Velveeta (I estimated here... just added enough Velveeta to where the pasta looked "covered") over low heat. Added a few dashes of Cajun seasoning (Tony's would work, but I used SLAP YA MAMA). :lol:

Put remainder of milk at bottom of 2" baking dish and spooned half of the shells into the baking dish. Layered some shredded cheese on top, them poured the rest of the shells on top.

Covered with foil and baked at 350 for 15 minutes, pulled it out and topped with a layer of shredded cheese and the breadcrumb/crushed Cheez-it mixture. Baked another 5 minutes covered and finally another 5 without the foil.

I thought it was fantastic. The wife thought I put too much Cajun seasoning in :tup: and that it was kind of bland. She thought it'd be better if you added a protein like tuna or ground meat. I'll try one of those next time.

Anyone else got any awesome "home-made" and/or baked mac n' cheese recipes?

Edited by darin3

I thought it was fantastic. The wife thought I put too much Cajun seasoning in :wacko: and that it was kind of bland. She thought it'd be better if you added a protein like tuna or ground meat. I'll try one of those next time.

Anyone else got any awesome "home-made" and/or baked mac n' cheese recipes?

i use bacon (or pancetta or prosciutto), and gouda or gruyere...while don't use velveeta.

i use bacon (or pancetta or prosciutto), and gouda or gruyere...while don't use velveeta.

At the end there I did dash some bacon salt on top and thought to myself that some chopped-up bacon would be nice to mix in.

And to me, mac n' cheese is kind of a white trash staple :wacko: so the Velveeta is kind of a key cog. Plus, wouldn't those other cheeses have more difficulty melting? I am a novice at cooking so I have no idea.

Try this one... http://www.corrundum.net/post/Baked-Mac-and-Cheese.aspx

If you can't find the Pecorino cheese, substitute a sharp flavored Italian cheese such as Fontina. You can turn this into a Shrimp Mac or a Lobster Mac by subbing in 1/2 cup of shrimp or lobster stock for a 1/2 cup of milk then adding 8 ounces of mini shrimp or chopped lobster.

Oh, you also must try the deep fried version of it the next day... http://www.corrundum.net/post/Fried-Mac-and-Cheese.aspx

Edited by Kid Cid

If you can't find the Pecorino cheese, substitute a sharp flavored Italian cheese such as Fontina. You can turn this into a Shrimp Mac or a Lobster Mac by subbing in 1/2 cup of shrimp or lobster stock for a 1/2 cup of milk then adding 8 ounces of mini shrimp or chopped lobster.

Oh, you also must try the deep fried version of it the next day... http://www.corrundum.net/post/Fried-Mac-and-Cheese.aspx

I can't remember if I topped it with or added Parmesan cheese or not. :tup: and yeah, lobster would be delicious...

and fried, you say? Hmmm... :wacko:

And to me, mac n' cheese is kind of a white trash staple :wacko: so the Velveeta is kind of a key cog. Plus, wouldn't those other cheeses have more difficulty melting? I am a novice at cooking so I have no idea.

it's not the snob in me, it's that i dislike velveeta..... the cheeses melt ok, just need to shred them first to help it along

Baked Cheeseburger Roni..... may have to do that next as Cheeseburgerroni was a college staple. Basically adding some browned ground beef (that you season as you like) to a box of Kraft mac N Cheese.

I like adding the bacon to it idea. May have to try that, though I think my kids will just stick to plain mac n cheese as long as they can.

Baked Cheeseburger Roni..... may have to do that next as Cheeseburgerroni was a college staple. Basically adding some browned ground beef (that you season as you like) to a box of Kraft mac N Cheese.

I like adding the bacon to it idea. May have to try that, though I think my kids will just stick to plain mac n cheese as long as they can.

Oh I've been eating ground beef in Mac n' Cheese since I was a toddler. :wacko: My mom used to make it - and would add stewed tomatoes - and I believe at that point it was called the All American Casserole.

I love me some mac n' cheese. :tup:

Oh I've been eating ground beef in Mac n' Cheese since I was a toddler. :wacko: My mom used to make it - and would add stewed tomatoes - and I believe at that point it was called the All American Casserole.

I love me some mac n' cheese. :lol:

My mom always called it American Chop Suey but yeah, that was a staple in the Cid household a well. :tup:

Good stuff here . . . my chef makes a shrimp mac and cheese with basil breadcrumbs that I cannot take off the menu, it is so popular.

I started making this one a couple months ago. Pretty basic, very tasty. I've got picky kids, so this is simple enough to feed everyone. And I can never get enough cheddar. Great for lunch the next day, too.

That looks f'in good. Unfortunately, mine took some work for reheating. I had to use a knife to portion it out :wacko: ... but I added some shredded chicken and Ro-Tel that my wife had left over from tacos and reheated it up, and it was fannnnntastic.

That looks f'in good. Unfortunately, mine took some work for reheating. I had to use a knife to portion it out :wacko: ... but I added some shredded chicken and Ro-Tel that my wife had left over from tacos and reheated it up, and it was fannnnntastic.

I bet Darin makes a damm good shit on a shingle

My mom used to make a mean baked Mac & Cheese when I was little and now my wife makes one that rocks even more...I will have to get her recipe and post it...I will say that she does include bacon in it :wacko:

RE: the fried mac n cheese you mentioned earlier - never made it myself, but it is an appetizer at Cheesecake Factory and it is delicious.

They have it at a wings joint called Pluckers here. It's pretty f'in good.

My mom used to make a mean baked Mac & Cheese when I was little and now my wife makes one that rocks even more...I will have to get her recipe and post it...I will say that she does include bacon in it :wacko:

Scooby makes a good one, too. I think it is very close to Alton Brown's except she uses other cheeses in addition to Sharp Cheddar.

American Test Kitchen had a good recipe. It involved White cheddar, Jack Cheese and some other things. Basically they melted the cheeses down in condensed milk to keep the cheese from breaking down too much. THey then poured this over the mac and baked. I always have to put tobasco in my mac and cheese, also cayenne gives it a good flavor.