[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cris Collinsworth to coach HS football

tazinib1

He gets to coach his son

Pretty cool for a dad to be able to coach his son...but yeah...that bolded comment made me double take what I just read.

People are doing different things as the NFL lockout drags on — some are finding alternate employment, others are going back to school to get their degrees, others are boxing and riding bulls, and most players are engaging in workouts they've put together with their teammates.

But what are you supposed to do if you're an NFL broadcaster, you're stuck waiting for play to resume, and you have very little faith in the idea that it will do so on time? If you're former Cincinnati Bengals receiver Cris Collinsworth, now one of the most respected voices in the business as part of NBC's "Sunday Night Football" crew, you go back to high school.

As a coach.

At his own site, FootballPros.com, Collinsworth said that he has accepted the offer of head coach Dale Mueller to become the receivers coach at Highlands High in Kentucky, where Collinsworth's son Jac just happens to attend and play. "I had already polluted his brain with most of my receiving advice," Collinsworth wrote. "But what the heck, the NFL will probably miss at least half of their season anyway, I agreed. Today is my first day. I just got the playbook and I feel like a first year rookie all over again. The plays are scrambled eggs in my brain, and I feel a little anxious. But, I love coaching. I coached many of these kids in the junior football league, and they always kept me entertained."

Great idea, but we're less than entertained by Collinsworth's notion that half the season could be lost. Especially since the 12-time Emmy winner is pretty dialed in when it comes to league matters, and probably wouldn't make a commitment like this unless he thought there was really something to a truncated season.

"I had a Xavier Soccer coach tell me that at least once a week he rolls the ball out on the field and steps aside," Collinsworth wrote. "He lets the kids play so that he can learn from them. He said they have a creative imagination that no adult could understand. I hope I can bring some of that imagination to Highlands HS. After four straight state football championships, there is only one way for the Highlands Bluebirds to go with me. Maybe the NFL will save me and actually play football, but if not, you will know where to find me on Friday nights. Go Birds!"

We can only hope the NFL will step in and let Collinsworth return to his primary job on time … but until then … sure. Go Birds! It's pretty cool that Collinsworth gets to coach his son, and the team will surely benefit from his experience. It's just too bad it's under these particular circumstances.

I just don't know any more. In the beginning, I was confident that these folks could amicably divide a $9 BILLION pie. Now I'm not too sure.

Yep, me too. My boy is a UPS driver and delivers to a handful of Steelers current and past. He always asks their opinion on the lockout. He is pretty convinced based on what they tell him that there will be no start of the season anywhere near normal. Lynn Swann seems to be the most outspoken on this issue with my boy and tells him that based on what he knows he will not be surprised at all if we do not have football this year. I find that to be crazy talk when I first heard it and questioned where the hell Swann was getting his info but as others weigh in I am starting to think he might be right.

Me, I am now wondering how a year without pro football would be. I will go to a lot more college games and pay a ton more attention to college. I think at this point I can live without it for a year.

Me, I am now wondering how a year without pro football would be. I will go to a lot more college games and pay a ton more attention to college. I think at this point I can live without it for a year.

I am wondering if the fellas in my local would be willing to try a year of college fantasy football...!

I'm getting real close to this myself ,,, it would be kind of nice to actually not be glued to the TV every Sunday

I'm getting real close to this myself ,,, it would be kind of nice to actually not be glued to the TV every Sunday

Screw 'em, I'm ready. Thing is, September through November is some of the nicest weather we get out here.

I think people must be looking at the snail-pace and lack of progress currently, because I don't think there's any way that they let this drag out to where they could potentially lose hundreds of millions or even billions out of the pie by alienating a large number of fans... Even if it didn't hurt TV ratings in the end (which it probably would if there were drops in FF and wagering in addition to interest), there would likely be drops in attendance and concessions, and even moreso for the absurdly overpriced $35 tee-shirts and $100-$250 spamshirts (not to mention that the players will start feeling the pressure of losing gamechecks too). In a tough economy where people had been more than generous towards the NFL, there are many angles they stand to lose more than they gain by dragging it out.

They're already seeing plenty of public backlash and resentment, but obviously they know that the fans will quickly forget about this squabble if football is played... However, if we lose 1/2 or the whole season, they have to know that they risk losing many casual and even hardcore fans that have built it into the golden-goose it is today. The last thing they want to do end up like the MLB over the last decade and a half.

Let's remember that it's only June 1st, with very few activities missed, and no game checks at risk yet. There simply hasn't been enough incentive to get a deal done yet, with far more incentive to gain as much leverage as they can before there's pressure to strike a deal. I don't care what Collinsworth believes, that's where we're at...

Maybe I'm being naive (it is in the hands of lawyers afterall), but in a game of which side will crack first, both sides are about to feel some real pressure to get this done, or risk losing more than the revenues they're currently fighting about..

Maybe I'm being naive (it is in the hands of lawyers afterall) . . .

Well, lawyers follow their clients' directions, especially with regard to settlement negotiations. If something doesn't settle, particularly when you are dealing with sophisticated parties, its usually not the lawyers fault.

Well, lawyers follow their clients' directions, especially with regard to settlement negotiations. If something doesn't settle, particularly when you are dealing with sophisticated parties, its usually not the lawyers fault.

Poor phrasing on my part. All I meant is that they've opted for the lengthy drawn-out legal process (which may be on the players more than the owners, but they too are surely planning to use these rulings for their own leverage if/when the next ruling is in their favor, and would opt to appeal if not), and this may well be the reason I'm being naive about them negotiating out a deal in time for the season.

However, a ruling on June 3rd for the owners might be a very positive step in getting this settled, when the players realize that what leverage and unity they have might be running thin...

Edited by delusions of granduer