[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me understand the interest in Plaxico Burress

Ditkaless, don't confuse personality/IQ with success playing against CBs in this softer version of the NFL.

I'm fairly certain this is solid advice. I have no idea what it means or the point of it, but my lack of understanding does not effect the level of advice.

Being fantasy relevant and being a decent NFL receiver are two wholly different things.

Agreed. He's too old, too slow, a cancer and headcase, but he's good enough to be on some teams roster. He just needs to be prepared to take the vet min.

Many Detroit radio callers are getting all excited about signing Burress. "Take the pressure off of Johnson."

Probably the same idiots that got excited when the Lions signed Daunte f'n Culpepper.

:wacko:

Even if his marginal talent level had not deteriorated in the past 2 years you have the problem that he was never a good worker or team mate. He is slow to pick up a system. That does not bode well for a year where training camp and OTA's will not occur. You will have a selfish, lazy, slow learner trying to pick up a system in a shorter time.

Couple this with the fact that it is Rosenhaus' M.O. to hold his guys out as long as he can to get the best deal possible (in his mind) and you have a recipe for disaster. Lazy, slow learners with new systems to learn in a short time cannot possibly afford to have a shorter time to learn due to contract squabbles.

Also, G.M.'s are going to have many contracts and free agents to resolve all at once. Which among them needs the added headache of Rosenhaus during unprecedented busy times.

I'm just not seeing anything remotely desirable about this situation.

Even if his marginal talent level had not deteriorated in the past 2 years you have the problem that he was never a good worker or team mate. He is slow to pick up a system. That does not bode well for a year where training camp and OTA's will not occur. You will have a selfish, lazy, slow learner trying to pick up a system in a shorter time.

Couple this with the fact that it is Rosenhaus' M.O. to hold his guys out as long as he can to get the best deal possible (in his mind) and you have a recipe for disaster. Lazy, slow learners with new systems to learn in a short time cannot possibly afford to have a shorter time to learn due to contract squabbles.

Also, G.M.'s are going to have many contracts and free agents to resolve all at once. Which among them needs the added headache of Rosenhaus during unprecedented busy times.

I'm just not seeing anything remotely desirable about this situation.

Are you talking fantasy or NFL? You are talking about a receiver that has had one season of 1,200 yards, another season of 1,300 yards, plus two seasons of 10+ touchdowns. Is he perfect? No. But will he be on his best behavior? Yes,, of course. I'm not drafting him until the 9th or 10th round, but he is definately a starting caliber wide receiver in the NFL, if not a 2nd or even 1st receiver. He is old, but why judge him before he proves otherwise? This is reminescent of people who said Michael Vick would never play in the NFL again...............and there were many on this board who said he was done..............but not Waterman..................

There is no way that I will touch Burress in any draft no matter where he goes. Someone else will always want him more than I do. The only thing I can think of why Burress is even getting mentioned is that Michael Vick has returned from the slammer and been successful. But he was only 28 when he left prison. Burress is 34 years old and has not played for two years. His YPC was already in decline. It doesn't even matter that he is a knucklehead who never did much more than around 70 catches for 1000 yards per season. The only receivers who will be older than Burress this year are Terrell Owens, Derrick Mason, Donald Driver, Torry Holt and Hines Ward. Only five guys and all of them are in decline and they've all been better WR's than Burress ever was.

I agree - Burress is something to talk about when there is nothing else. But he's not likely worth a mention when it all starts up.

Are you talking fantasy or NFL? You are talking about a receiver that has had one season of 1,200 yards, another season of 1,300 yards, plus two seasons of 10+ touchdowns. Is he perfect? No. But will he be on his best behavior? Yes,, of course. I'm not drafting him until the 9th or 10th round, but he is definately a starting caliber wide receiver in the NFL, if not a 2nd or even 1st receiver. He is old, but why judge him before he proves otherwise? This is reminescent of people who said Michael Vick would never play in the NFL again...............and there were many on this board who said he was done..............but not Waterman..................

Maybe I have his stats wrong. I see one 1200 yard season, and another where he was just over 1000, and then a whole bunch significantly lower. I don't see his 1300 yard season.

Are you maybe adding in his post season numbers as well?

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Here's a fun fact - Burress had his one decent yardage year when he had 1214 yards in 2005. The next best WR that year were Marvin Harrison, Terry Glenn, Chris Chambers, Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison. Above him were Donald Driver, Joey Galloway, Torry Holt, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Chad Johnson, Santana Moss and Steve Smith. Out of all of those 14 top WR from that year, only Fitzgerald and Boldin hold any promise this year. Almost half no longer play. Burress was pretty good SIX years ago.

But hey, I am sure he's lost nothing in the last two years and has reversed the effects of age he was already showing.

Maybe I have his stats wrong. I see one 1200 yard season, and another where he was just over 1000, and then a whole bunch significantly lower. I don't see his 1300 yard season.

Are you maybe adding in his post season numbers as well?

He had 1,325 yards receiving in 2002, which granted, was a long time ago. But he still put up decent numbers his last three full seasons. An average of about 70 catches for 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns over that 3 year span. I doubt he'll put up numbers like that again, but I can see him being a decent 2nd or 3rd receiver.

He had 1,325 yards receiving in 2002, which granted, was a long time ago. But he still put up decent numbers his last three full seasons. An average of about 70 catches for 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns over that 3 year span. I doubt he'll put up numbers like that again, but I can see him being a decent 2nd or 3rd receiver.

Sure enough. Look at that. I was using the stats page link from this site and it did not have his first three years of stats listed. I see his 1300 yard year now. That was a long time ago. I don't think it changes my position on him, but I am glad to see his correct stats cited. I apologize for any I mislead by referencing the stats from the player links from this site. It is important to be accurate, i should have double checked.

The only thing I'd argue against the age factor is that he has quite a bit less mileage on his wheels. He may not be anything like his former self, but I think with his size he could still possibly fit as a #2 on some teams and put up somewhat relevant stats in deeper leagues.

I'm fairly certain this is solid advice. I have no idea what it means or the point of it, but my lack of understanding does not effect the level of advice.

Please refrain from quoting waterman. I have him on ignore and it is circumventing my intentions.

TIA

Please refrain from quoting waterman. I have him on ignore and it is circumventing my intentions.

TIA

I'll try, but he is awefully quotable. In fact I have been extracting random clauses and occassionally full sentences from his posts and sending them to a fourtune cookie company. Yhey pay me 5 cents for each one.