[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL sunday ticket

frenzal rhomb

So all the above being said. Has anybody called to negotiate a better price on Sunday ticket yet? I guess with the lockout going, I'm not sure if now is the time to do it. Possibly it's the best time, I just figured I'd see if anybody has made the call.

My question is basically the same... when is the best time to call for renewel? My sub ends in Sept. so I am thinking about calling in August.

And yes, I love the REDZONE!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe I actually paid for that crap for several years. You end up just flipping back and forth and missing everything good. I've settled in with watching the network games, having my laptop fired up to track other games and my fantasy teams.

Or, on certain Sundays, actually leave the house and go enjoy the company of other fans and watch at a bar and watch games simultaneously on a couple TVs.

This.

• 2 weeks later...
So all the above being said. Has anybody called to negotiate a better price on Sunday ticket yet? I guess with the lockout going, I'm not sure if now is the time to do it. Possibly it's the best time, I just figured I'd see if anybody has made the call.

Okay...I finally called today. First lady I spoke with was the first level of customer support and while they are usually not super helpful I found this lady to be very helpful. I explained to her that I had gotten the renewal letter which stated that once the season (CBA gets settled) starts that I'd be getting billed $53.99 x 6 months. I explained to the DTV lady that basically the only thing keeping me with DTV was the NFL Sunday Ticket...and if I couldn't get a deal on the Ticket I have no reason to stay with DTV as I could go to cable or Dish or AT&T etc. She instantly says...no...no, that renewal letter (that we all got) is not correct. She wished they could be more personalized because previous customers would be renewed at the same price they paid last year...which in my case was 6 payments of $30 each. She said they are getting TONS of calls from Ticket subscribers and each of us is telling them the same thing - the renewal price is too high and unacceptable. She again told me I'd get billed only what I paid last year. I asked if I could get that in writing - she couldn't do that. She then transfered me to customer retention. The customer retention guy echoed the same thing that I would get billed $30 per month for 6 months but he couldn't put it in writing for me either but he assured me that when my billing started if it was an issue at all that I could call back and I'd get the discount for sure as I've been a customer for a number of years now.

So once I get my first bill I will know for sure but I am confident things will work out and at a much reduced price.

Good luck to all.

KO'd

If your reception keeps going in and out with wind, it needs adjusting. It should only go out during the worst thunderstorms and that is it.

You can haggle price to a point. I tried to get them to go down to 4 x $29.99 a couple years ago. They would do 4x $39.99, I told them I didn't need it.All you have to do is ask. You'll get a lower rate, just for asking.

I had 5 tv's at one point. To me, it wasn't worth paying for the package just to flip back and forth. They weren't all flat screens either. Ok, none of them were and I actually found a tv in the alley, but hey, it worked just fine. Trying to watch 5 games at once is a challenge, but so much fun!

You can haggle price to a point. I tried to get them to go down to 4 x $29.99 a couple years ago. They would do 4x $39.99, I told them I didn't need it.All you have to do is ask. You'll get a lower rate, just for asking.

So they did agree to the 29.99 or did you ask for it and just end up agreeing to the 39.99?

I just starting subscribing last year when they were including Sunday Ticket as part of the sign up. So I technically didn't pay for it last year. I'm sure they have me down for teh full amount so KO's experience makes me wonder if they can actually do something for me. :wacko:

So they did agree to the 29.99 or did you ask for it and just end up agreeing to the 39.99?

I just starting subscribing last year when they were including Sunday Ticket as part of the sign up. So I technically didn't pay for it last year. I'm sure they have me down for teh full amount so KO's experience makes me wonder if they can actually do something for me. :wacko:

I am in the same boat, Square. I am gonna wait til late August, closer to my subscription's end, before I test the waters. I just want to pay for the Ticket like I did last year, $60/per month for football AND TV AND premium movies. Instead of taking a little off the monthly, I want all the extra channels to be included.

Hmm... See I have another year on my subscription regardless, so I don't know if there is really any reason to wait. I think they overcharged me 10 bucks on my last bill and I have to call about that anyway. Maybe I'll see what I can get done the next time I get a chance. I figure I can always just say I'm going to rethink it and call them back some other time.

I'm just curious, but why is everyone paying 6 monthly payments for a service that is 17 weeks long?

First bill usually hits in August and last hits in January...I think that's DTV's way of billing us out in chewable chunks as opposed to 4 payments of $81 per month (if you paid full price)...I think it probably helps them sell the service to be able to break it up into smaller monthly amounts?

KO'd

I just got off the phone with the DirectTv customer retention dept. She told me that they really haven't put together any deals or discount packages for The Sunday Ticket yet and are waiting until the lock-out is over. Probably BS but she said last year was $315 or so and that I will be eligible for a discount when I sign up. I just got D-Tv in December but I have heard that you can negotiate deals on just about everything on the bill.

Her major selling point was that I could "kick back and relax in my own home to watch all the games."

My major selling point for a discount was that "if I go to a bar every Sunday it's like a mini-vacation from the wife and kids and still cheaper than paying for the full season of the Ticket."

Her response- "Right, right. I understand."

Just cancelled Sunday Ticket. Which the Ticket was pretty much the reason I went with Directv in the first place. Maybe I'll call back if/when the CBA gets hammered out and see about a discounted price.

Feels kinda like I just gave away the family dog or something...

Will probably cancel outright if the lockout goes into the season at all. Will only keep sunday ticket if I can get it close to half off. The teams I typically watch, I get a decent amount of their games on regional coverage. It was nice to have one year of every game, but with small children it's just not practical that I'll get to sit around and enjoy all that many games. I'd be psyched if I could pay $100 and just get every game from one team.

I totaly agree with you here. Two small kids for me. I get maybe on or two Sundays a year if I'm lucky to watch football all day. I miss it, but I would miss hanging out with the family more. I barley watch any TV anymore.

If your reception keeps going in and out with wind, it needs adjusting. It should only go out during the worst thunderstorms and that is it.

I had 5 tv's at one point. To me, it wasn't worth paying for the package just to flip back and forth. They weren't all flat screens either. Ok, none of them were and I actually found a tv in the alley, but hey, it worked just fine. Trying to watch 5 games at once is a challenge, but so much fun!

The idiots have been out twice, so you tell me.

Just cancelled Sunday Ticket. Which the Ticket was pretty much the reason I went with Directv in the first place. Maybe I'll call back if/when the CBA gets hammered out and see about a discounted price.

Feels kinda like I just gave away the family dog or something...

Lets just hope there are enough of us to make a difference.

with us, DTV charges us for the Ticket, but gives us premium free during the $50/month 6 month period, so it is still cheaper than cable and we get all the premium movies for 6 months. then after the 6 months period is over, we downgrade our plan to what is $50-$60/month so all year my cable bill is $60+ and I get the Ticket. Compared to our local cable company, it is a good deal.

with us, DTV charges us for the Ticket, but gives us premium free during the $50/month 6 month period, so it is still cheaper than cable and we get all the premium movies for 6 months. then after the 6 months period is over, we downgrade our plan to what is $50-$60/month so all year my cable bill is $60+ and I get the Ticket. Compared to our local cable company, it is a good deal.

I don't get the math. How are you paying $60/month while paying $50/month for the ticket? Even if you get the premium channels free the basic service is going to be at least $40/month.

Just trying to figure out if you know something I don't. My bill is close to $100/mo with 2 movie channels and several discounts applied.

I don't get the math. How are you paying $60/month while paying $50/month for the ticket? Even if you get the premium channels free the basic service is going to be at least $40/month.

Just trying to figure out if you know something I don't. My bill is close to $100/mo with 2 movie channels and several discounts applied.

they are doing the same promo from last year ... 50 per month for 6 months and you get the NFL ticket plus they throw in their premium service for free during the 6 motnhs, then when the 6 months are up you are allowed to change from the premium package, (b/c it will now cost you full price of 140 i think) to a cheaper plan of your choice. they have a plan for somewhere near 60/month. this does not include your receiver rents, etc.

they are doing the same promo from last year ... 50 per month for 6 months and you get the NFL ticket plus they throw in their premium service for free during the 6 motnhs, then when the 6 months are up you are allowed to change from the premium package, (b/c it will now cost you full price of 140 i think) to a cheaper plan of your choice. they have a plan for somewhere near 60/month. this does not include your receiver rents, etc.

Needs to be max $30 for 6mo like last year or I'm out. I'll update when I finally make the call.

I called in and told them that this 14 year customer was canceling his service. The rep asked why. I then pulled out the laundry list. I have Netflix and we are really digging it, we have had a few billing issues, always resolved but billing issues all the same, and the cost of Sunday Ticket (which was the reason I signed up in the first place) has gotten out of hand. "And anyway, whith those millionaires and billionaires fighting over my hard earned money I'm not even sure I am interested anymore." Okay, that was total BS, but I was prepared to sell it baby.

The settlement offer was $30 off for 6 months and a one time credit for all my billing issues. How much of a one time credit I asked in a droning voice. $100. Hem. Haw. I'll tell you what, make it a $200 credit and we're good. He wasn't authorized to issue that big of a credit, but he did hit his max of $150 for me. So basically now we have the Ticket for free. And as an added bonus when he tried to upsell me on the AT&T bundle I mentioned that I already had AT&T, and since we had become such good friends by then he extended me a $5 credit for two years on the "bundle." Biggest score ever. They must have sensed they needed to do that to keep me. Good for them. Good for you. Go forth.

I just called and mentioned the commercial that says the Sunday Ticket is now included and was told I would not be charged at all for the Sunday Ticket this year.At first she said it is included and was on auto renew and I would be charged.I then said no the commercial said it was now included with certain packages and it seemed like it would be no charge.She came back and said I would not be charged!!!!!

I just called and mentioned the commercial that says the Sunday Ticket is now included and was told I would not be charged at all for the Sunday Ticket this year.At first she said it is included and was on auto renew and I would be charged.I then said no the commercial said it was now included with certain packages and it seemed like it would be no charge.She came back and said I would not be charged!!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what package do you have?

I called yesterday and canceled Sunday ticket. The rep lady didn't offer me squat. Put me on hold for a bit as I assumed she was going to put some kind of counter together, than just came back and said "ok, we have that canceled for you". Kind of surprised. On the flip side they've been fooking up my free HD for life with autobill pay and they ended up crediting me 100 tacos so at least I got that. I'll wait until the season gets closer and then call and ask for a discount or remain off the plan. I get about half the games I want to see regardless and I can't chase rug rats all day Sunday and still watch that many games anyhow so it's a waste of money to pay full price. :wacko: