[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver Fans

Turf Smurf

Jake Delhomme - QB - Cleveland Browns Posted 6/6/11 4:15pm et

The Denver Broncos could show interest in Cleveland Browns QB Jake Delhomme if he is released after the lockout is over and they trade QB Kyle Orton.

Huddle Up: Broncos coach John Fox is familiar with Delhomme, and he'd be a decent backup plan to Tim Tebow if Denver does opt to unload Orton. More importantly, Delhomme is a veteran who not only knows what Fox likes to do offensively but would also be able to step in without much preseason work and run the offense.

:wacko:

Delhomme had heart and skills. He still might have them, pretty hard to evaluate him with the teams he had in his last couple years on the Panthers and the Browns.

He might have enough left in the tank that this isn't a terrible move.

Great move. Vet QB who knows the HC implicitly and has had some success at the NFL level to backup and help mature Tebow after Orton is traded, he won't have an ego issue if he is sitting behind Tebow, and he probably can be had at a very reasonable price.

I don't see any downside here. It's not like DEN would miss out on contention if Tebow's backup had to make an emergency start or two.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think Delhomme would be a nice mentor. I think it would be Tebow and then Delhomme/Quinn. I think Quinn has some life yet in that Elway thinks he's salvagable as a decent backup QB but they need a strong mentor on the sidelines and Delhomme has plenty of experiance reading defenses.

I see no problem with them signing him as a mentor or backup. Smart move IMHO getting a vet who knows the system and can help the rooks get up to speed fairly quick with the lock out giving them little to no time to learn the new system.

Not sure I get your bias, other than he sucks......

Bad fit anyway you slice it! :wacko:

Other than the fact that he left the Saints for a division rival? Really, I've got no hate for Delhomme, just still like to make fun of him being a Saints fan. :tup:

I think Delhomme would be a nice mentor. I think it would be Tebow and then Delhomme/Quinn. I think Quinn has some life yet in that Elway thinks he's salvagable as a decent backup QB but they need a strong mentor on the sidelines and Delhomme has plenty of experiance reading defenses.

As a Denver fan who thinks the Tebow experiment was/is a mistake, I can see bringing in a veteran for mentoring, support, and possibly a few emergency starts. But I thought Delhomme was one of the worst the last couple of years at 'reading' defenses. An insane amount of picks and horrible decision making is what sent him packing from Carolina, no? And that followed him to Cleveland where he couldn't beat out Colt. So I'm not sure he's the vet that I want 'teaching' any of my rookies.

Edited by The Hitter

Delhomme had heart and skills. He still might have them, pretty hard to evaluate him with the teams he had in his last couple years on the Panthers and the Browns.He might have enough left in the tank that this isn't a terrible move.

And the Broncos are better than these teams? Both had superior run games that should have taken the focus off of Delhomme, allowing him to be much more productive than he was. And both were similar (pourous) on defense, or possibly even better, than Denver.

As a Denver fan who thinks the Tebow experiment was/is a mistake, I can see bringing in a veteran for mentoring, support, and possibly a few emergency starts. But I thought Delhomme was one of the worst the last couple of years at 'reading' defenses. An insane amount of picks and horrible decision making is what sent him packing from Carolina, no? And that followed him to Cleveland where he couldn't beat out Colt. So I'm not sure he's the vet that I want 'teaching' any of my rookies.

Delhomme has surely fallen from grace over the last 2 seasons and isn't a solid QB these days but he did take the Panthers to a super bowl and has played decent over his career. He's been a QB that has always tried to thread the ball. Effective at times and intercepted at others.

I'm not praising him as a great QB by any means, but his career has been better than most QB's and is a good asset to help mentor these kids in the John Fox system. Who else is better the get Tebow up to speed than Delhomme?

BTW, 2004 he threw 29 TD's and threw 15 INT's. It wasn't until his last 2 season (the last with the Panthers I really don't blame him for) that he was over on his TD to INT ratio and Cleveland wasn't a team that offered him a whole lot of help. One of the reasons Hillis did so well was because of the rush packages they thrw at the QB. Beat the crap out of the QB and let them beat you at the RB but stop the passing game which most teams did. Both QB's (err, all 3) failed so you can't hang that hat on Delhomme alone.

BTW, 2004 he threw 29 TD's and threw 15 INT's. It wasn't until his last 2 season (the last with the Panthers I really don't blame him for) that he was over on his TD to INT ratio and Cleveland wasn't a team that offered him a whole lot of help. One of the reasons Hillis did so well was because of the rush packages they thrw at the QB. Beat the crap out of the QB and let them beat you at the RB but stop the passing game which most teams did. Both QB's (err, all 3) failed so you can't hang that hat on Delhomme alone.

Bear - I wasn't saying that Delhomme hasn't had a long career. But I think that longevity has created the perception in people's mind that he was better than he actually was. I thought pretty highly of him when he began his tenure in Carolina. But 2004 was forever ago. Hell, Shawn Alexander had 20 TDs and Culpepper had nearly 5,000 yards that year!! :wacko:

But Delhomme, other than providing some knowledge of Fox's schemes and offensive philosophies, is just not a good mentor QB.

And these stats prove that:

Since 2004...

Games with less than 200 yards = 35

Games with more than 300 yards = 9

(Granted, Carolina had one of the NFL's best rushing attacks and a run-first mentality during that time, but that goes both ways...it should also help his stats when he does throw. And he also had a top 5-10 WR in Smith during that stretch as well.)

Games with 2 interceptions = 15

Games with 3 interceptions = 2

Games with 4 interceptions = 5

Games with 5 interceptions = 1

Most AVERAGE NFL QBs end up with zero 4 int games. Maybe 1 in their careers. Delhomme has had 6 of those games!! And a few were in the most crucial games he's played in.

Like I said, I was a fan, and still think he could be a marginal spot player in emergency situations if your team just needs a warm body. And because I expect the Tebow situation to come crashing down over the next few seasons, I'm okay with him being a backup in Denver, as this would hasten the 'need' for a complete change at the position. But I just don't think that Delhomme is/was an above average QB as his longevity would suggest.

Delhomme has surely fallen from grace over the last 2 seasons and isn't a solid QB these days but he did take the Panthers to a super bowl and has played decent over his career. He's been a QB that has always tried to thread the ball. Effective at times and intercepted at others.

I'm not praising him as a great QB by any means, but his career has been better than most QB's and is a good asset to help mentor these kids in the John Fox system. Who else is better the get Tebow up to speed than Delhomme?

#1) Not many would say that Trent Dilfer, who took the Ravens to a title, would be a good mentor.

#2) See my previous post on Delhomme's 'decent' play.

#3) Threading the ball into drive-killing, game-ending interceptions is not what I want my QB's mentor to teach my young rookies.

Mulitple interceptions in games will kill an offensive game plan and divide a locker room in a heartbeat. I'd prefer not to add that to an already luke-warm situation with Tebow in Denver (unless we're just trying to sabotage the season to get to Andrew Luck next year! :wacko::tup: )

Edited by The Hitter

Can you name some of these people?

My point is made. I think he was average to below average. But I've seen others defend him as if he were a top half of the league QB every year he played. I never saw it at all.

Edited by The Hitter

Could you provide a link or name some of these others? I need to know if any of them are in any of my leagues.

Ever since the Cardinals playoff game Delhomme has been nothing but a horrible QB. Is he a nice guy and a decent leader on the field? Absolutely. Could he help Tebow in these categories? No question. So lets bring him in as a QB coach. But bringing him in as a backup means Denver has absolutely no backup. Quinn is no good and Delhomme is just as bad. He was so bad, a rookie came in and played better than he did on a team that had only one player on offense.

This has to be a joke.