[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did CBS Sportsline jack up their price, last year 89.99, this year $150!

euphy

please read the parts in bold.

and as for your customizable scoring...meh. Our CBS scoring is just fine. I don't need to award a running back an extra .0001 point for having his shirt tucked in. I can customize exactly what I need and want with CBS....standard WCOFS scoring with some bonuses for various things, which is what 95% of fantasy leagues are set up ...and CBS handles that just fine.

Just because our league is a $300 entry, it doesn't mean that we have a bunch of rocket-scientists. Its guys that $300 is a drop in the bucket for some fun. So no, an extra $70 in the winners hand is not worth losing all our league history, an archaic site that takes ages to load, real-time scoring that is 3-4 minutes behind, and re-inventing a wheel we already have.

You know, I'm really happy for you. You don't mind spending the extra money and you're happy with CBS. I'm not sure why you feel the need to fabricate so extensively in order to run down mfl - probably rationalizing spending the extra money - but if it gives you a woody and makes you feel better about spending your money at CBS, fabricate away.

:wacko:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'm really happy for you. You don't mind spending the extra money and you're happy with CBS. I'm not sure why you feel the need to fabricate so extensively in order to run down mfl - probably rationalizing spending the extra money - but if it gives you a woody and makes you feel better about spending your money at CBS, fabricate away.

:tup:

whats fabricated?

and as I mentioned, I use mfl for a few leagues where we have a couple gurus that have the time and knowledge to program a great site. Sad fact is, it does indeed take some extra time to load because of all the extra programming and graphics they wrote. But they are indeed cool.

As for the "realtime" scoring, even the most ardent mfl'er agrees its not real-time...it can sometimes be verrry slow. Again, for some leagues, thats fine. As long as its correct at the end of the day, no biggie for some. But on days that I am home, I kinda like to be able to click on the realtime link and know the data I am getting is actual, not 2-5 minutes behind. I will say I like the CBS ability to click on any player's stats, and it opens a new window to take me directly to their Gameday page, and I can see the virtual game in true realtime.

The history? I called mfl a few times in the past when they were offering great rates to switch over...and even their people said they couldn't bring my history over perfectly. All the stats, all head-to-head stats for the last 12+ years we've been with CBS for our main local, all the past trades that we sometimes like to refer to to make fun of guys for trading away a franchise player. If we switch over, we lose all of it.

So what part of my mfl downside did I fabricate?

whats fabricated?

an archaic site that takes ages to load, real-time scoring that is 3-4 minutes behind

Blatant. But like I said, if it makes you feel better about using CBS, knock yourself out.

whats fabricated?

and as I mentioned, I use mfl for a few leagues where we have a couple gurus that have the time and knowledge to program a great site. Sad fact is, it does indeed take some extra time to load because of all the extra programming and graphics they wrote. But they are indeed cool.

As for the "realtime" scoring, even the most ardent mfl'er agrees its not real-time...it can sometimes be verrry slow. Again, for some leagues, thats fine. As long as its correct at the end of the day, no biggie for some. But on days that I am home, I kinda like to be able to click on the realtime link and know the data I am getting is actual, not 2-5 minutes behind. I will say I like the CBS ability to click on any player's stats, and it opens a new window to take me directly to their Gameday page, and I can see the virtual game in true realtime.

The history? I called mfl a few times in the past when they were offering great rates to switch over...and even their people said they couldn't bring my history over perfectly. All the stats, all head-to-head stats for the last 12+ years we've been with CBS for our main local, all the past trades that we sometimes like to refer to to make fun of guys for trading away a franchise player. If we switch over, we lose all of it.

I converted over a 10 year league that was on CBS and I was able to bring over head to head stats and scores. I've got a pretty good history set up that captures everything but the trades. And for that matter CBS doesn't keep trades from year to year. They don't even keep the msg board.

I converted over a 10 year league that was on CBS and I was able to bring over head to head stats and scores. I've got a pretty good history set up that captures everything but the trades. And for that matter CBS doesn't keep trades from year to year. They don't even keep the msg board.

Incorrect on both.

I just clicked on our transaction report, and I can then click on any year I want.

here are some of the transactions from 2004...some are pretty funny:

11/26/04 5:25 pm ET Crusaders Smith, Antowain RB TEN - Added Duckett, T.J. RB ATL - Dropped $3.00

11/26/04 5:25 pm ET Crusaders Garcia, Jeff QB CLE - Added Henson, Drew QB DAL - Dropped $3.00

11/26/04 5:24 pm ET Crusaders Jackson, Steven RB STL - Traded from Flush Johnson, Chad WR CIN - Traded from Flush $5.00

11/26/04 5:24 pm ET Flush Dunn, Warrick RB ATL - Traded from Crusaders Mason, Derrick WR BAL - Traded from Crusaders $5.00

11/26/04 3:28 pm ET Flush Jurevicius, Joe WR TB - Added Patten, David WR WAS - Dropped $3.00

11/26/04 3:24 pm ET wolBeM Frerotte, Gus QB MIN - Added Losman, J.P. QB BUF - Dropped $3.00

11/26/04 3:23 pm ET wolBeM Branch, Deion WR NE - Added Moss, Santana WR NYJ - Dropped $3.00

11/26/04 3:19 pm ET Flush Jackson, Steven RB STL - Traded from The Stain McNair, Steve QB TEN - Traded from The Stain Patten, David WR WAS - Traded from The Stain Volek, Billy QB TEN - Traded from The Stain $5.00

11/26/04 3:19 pm ET The Stain Blaylock, Derrick RB NYJ - Traded from Flush Horn, Joe WR NO - Traded from Flush King, Shaun QB ARI - Traded from Flush Warner, Kurt QB NYG - Traded from Flush $5.00

11/24/04 9:23 pm ET Spiders Holcomb, Kelly QB BUF - Added Garcia, Jeff QB CLE - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 10:17 am ET Spiders Colts, DST DST IND - Added Titans, DST DST TEN - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 10:14 am ET Spiders Bears, DST DST CHI - Added Giants, DST DST NYG - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 10:10 am ET Spiders Williams, Ricky RB MIA - Added George, Eddie RB DAL - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET Rock Bouman, Todd QB NO - Claimed off waivers Frerotte, Gus QB MIN - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET Crusaders Bills, DST DST BUF - Claimed off waivers Packers, DST DST GB - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET One Putt Krenzel, Craig QB CHI - Claimed off waivers Schaub, Matt QB ATL - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET Flush King, Shaun QB ARI - Claimed off waivers Kitna, Jon QB CIN - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET Rock Hicks, Maurice RB SF - Claimed off waivers Chatman, Jesse RB SD - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET Rockets Taylor, Chester RB BAL - Claimed off waivers Green, William RB CLE - Dropped $3.00

11/24/04 1:49 am ET Crusaders Henson, Drew QB DAL - Claimed off waivers Carter, Quincy QB NYJ - Dropped

but you are right on the message board...it only goes back to 2008, which is more than I've ever needed or wanted to keep.

Blatant.

Whatever BB. I know some here have a financial interest in mfl, and thats OK. Not sure if you are one of them or not, but whatever.

There are plenty of threads on here that echo my thoughts: that if you have a highly customized home page, it can take a long time to load because of all the graphics. And if you don't customize it, it looks pretty simplistic for a pay site.

And the realtime scoring lag is common knowledge, and you know it.

The reason is that the MFL crowd acts as if you are a knuckle dragger if you use CBS. Point is , some people like and are comfortable with it . People act as if you are taking out a second mortgage to use cbs when in reality its is a mere bag of shells

they do keep the information, it's the commish that deletes it....aka me in my local...and I do delete them because there is usually some sort of angry banter between a few members that I try to wipe clean....

The reason is that the MFL crowd acts as if you are a knuckle dragger if you use CBS. Point is , some people like and are comfortable with it . People act as if you are taking out a second mortgage to use cbs when in reality its is a mere bag of shells
Good call.

I am commisioner of a league that uses CBS. Most of the guys in that league dont care enough about the extra cost to worry about moving to another site. CBS' interface is user friendly and they are familiar with it so (every year when I send out an email asking if anyone wants to switch to something else from CBS before I renew) most of the feedback I get is to just stick with it. Can we get more functionality cheaper? Sure. I am in another league that uses MFL and I think its a superior product especially when factoring in cost. If it were up to me, I'd move us over to MFL and put the $ savings toward increasing payouts or booze/food for the draft. But the guys in the other league are content with CBS so we have just stuck with it. And that is fine, too.

Whatever BB. I know some here have a financial interest in mfl, and thats OK. Not sure if you are one of them or not, but whatever.

There are plenty of threads on here that echo my thoughts: that if you have a highly customized home page, it can take a long time to load because of all the graphics. And if you don't customize it, it looks pretty simplistic for a pay site.

And the realtime scoring lag is common knowledge, and you know it.

The only person here that has done work for MFL is theeohiostate & I'm not sure he's actually paid by them or he just does work on the side for others in customization. The benefit of MFL over all others, still & always IMO, is their customer service. No one comes anywhere close. It doesn't hurt that they put out a great product with a lot of flexibility & at a lower cost than the majority of the pay sites.

ETA: As far as transferring league history, if the software doesn't accommodate a fluid transfer, all it takes is a message to MFL & they will do it for you... Probably within a day or so.

Edited by rajncajn

The only person here that has done work for MFL is theeohiostate & I'm not sure he's actually paid by them or he just does work on the side for others in customization. The benefit of MFL over all others, still & always IMO, is their customer service. No one comes anywhere close. It doesn't hurt that they put out a great product with a lot of flexibility & at a lower cost than the majority of the pay sites.

ETA: As far as transferring league history, if the software doesn't accommodate a fluid transfer, all it takes is a message to MFL & they will do it for you... Probably within a day or so.

Some of us have been around long enough to have witnessed the bait-and-switch by CBS when they offered their leagues for free, at a time when sites like mfl were starting to grow significantly, in an effort to break their competitors, only to see league prices jump to $99/season (way more than other services at the time) the following year after they had hooked a bunch of people. We also remember their weekly CBS server crashes and all the threads where people were locked out of their site on Sunday morning before the games started when CBS refused to upgrade their service sufficiently despite charging significantly more than almost every management service.

All that while, mfl did nothing but offer more and greater service for about the same price year after year; and had and still has customer support that is second-to-none.

Still, everyone has choices to make and some prefer CBS. That's okay, and if it's worth giving the extra money for the service, that's part of the beauty of doing business in a capitalist society. Making up untruths about mfl to make these people feel better doesn't wash, though - especially given the way CBS has done business in the past while mfl reliably held steady.

tos does it as a side business....I don't think he is paid by mfl...he customized our BoTH site, and it is phenomenal. Our Homerrs site, which tos didn't design, is a little less phenomenal, but still OK. I do believe the Huddle has a referral relationship with them, and they are pimped here moreso than any other football site I've been to...I thought sure there was a Huddler who was inside mfl. If not, I am mistaken and admit it.

Look, I'm not saying its a bad product. it just has some flaws, just like CBS does. I'm just not sure why those who are married to it are afraid to admit it. I will agree their customer service is very good. I have always been able to get a quick response from mfl. Problem is, its a feature that I very rarely need...and the more I think about it, I haven't needed customer service at CBS in years, so its hard to compare anyway.

To the bolded point....nope, they couldn't transfer all our history. I asked them at one point if it was possible, and the answer was a clean "yes, but it would take significant manhours to map over a dozen years of transactions...much of which would have to be done manually, since it couldn't be cleanly imported". This was a couple years ago, and I think I documented my experience in a thread. it was when mfl was drumming up new business, as was offering a super sweet deal (I think like $29 or something) to get CBSers to switch. Big John might be able to find the thread. Maybe things have changed in the last year or two, but at last check, they couldn't move everything over.

Point is, for only $6-7 per person, why even bother?

Making up untruths about mfl to make these people feel better doesn't wash, though - especially given the way CBS has done business in the past while mfl reliably held steady.

Others have the same problems with mfl

Cons for MFL - The downside of having everything able to be customized is that the site can be somewhat complicated, especially for the novice fantasy footballer. If your league is a simple work league, or one which is filled with the less "serious" type of fantasy football players, it might seem too "complicated" for some of them. If you want a site that offers advice, gives projections, etc., MFL might also not be for you.

I will say this. The geeks like MFL because it is easier to customize for scoring and cheaper. However, when I switched my local to it a few years ago, I got nothing but complaints. From issues with the fact that it looked like an eighth grader designed it in 1998 (which is true, it does look completely bootleg) to the fact that it didn't have as many stories and and insight and such for guys to read.

this year we went gave MFL a shot - and I gotta say we won't be going back next season.It's highly customizable which is why some people like it, but it's actually TOO customizable, and we've had nothing but problems this entire season. Add on top of that the poor live scoring - and although it's half the price CBS is, we're going back to CBS Sportsline next season..

sounds like a lot of us are speaking "untruths".

This was a couple years ago, and I think I documented my experience in a thread. it was when mfl was drumming up new business, as was offering a super sweet deal (I think like $29 or something) to get CBSers to switch. Big John might be able to find the thread. Maybe things have changed in the last year or two, but at last check, they couldn't move everything over.

:wacko: They still do that, but I don't think the price went that low, but they offer 50% off to switch from other sites. http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3132688

Wait, there's FF hosts other than myfantasyleague.com? :wacko:

+1

Then again, CBS is by far the best "other" site for FF, IMO. I like some of the features of MFL more than CBS, but that is just me. If MFL wasnt around tomorrow, I would have all my leagues in CBS.

Edited by bpwallace49

Others have the same problems with mfl

sounds like a lot of us are speaking "untruths".

I especially liked the part about how insightful CBS was regarding FF material.

mfl updates its live scoring every 30 seconds. Now if there are 5 year olds in a league, 30 seconds might be a long time to wait. But I'd expect adults who are actually watching football games (or presumably so) to be able to take their eyes off the living scoring screen and be able to manage 30 second update periods. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

As to the aesthetics of the site - CBS is hands down better, I'll freely admit that. But I guess I play FF with guys who prefer function and reliability over the site being pretty.

As far as utility - hey, there are either drop down or listed menus at mfl, your choice. After that, it takes an owner the ability to move a cursor over to a box to select options and then click enter. If that's too challenging for owners in league to do, I honestly don't quite know what to say.

But to re-emphasize yet again, if you'd prefer to pay extra for CBS - hey, it's your money.

Edited by Bronco Billy

We have used RTSports for years and have been happy with it. It's customizable and easy to set up. I just checked the price for the upcoming season and it's $62 with a returning league discount, $89 with no discounts. Our league has been using it since 2002. It has a nice archive section that automatically saves from year to year. We haven't had any major sanfus with the site.

I especially liked the part about how insightful CBS was regarding FF material.

Agreed...which is why I am member of the Huddle as opposed to getting my info and advice from CBS.

mfl updates its live scoring every 30 seconds. Now if there are 5 year olds in a league, 30 seconds might be a long time to wait. But I'd expect adults who are actually watching football games (or presumably so) to be able to take their eyes off the living scoring screen and be able to manage 30 second update periods. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

I'm shocked to hear its just 30 seconds. if thats the case, then I did indeed speak an untruth. Perhaps it just seems longer because, on a Sunday when I am home, I have my CBS league and MFL leagues open side-by-side on my laptop, and the lag on mfl is right in front of me. If I had only mfl leagues, it wouldn't seem so bad for sure.

As to the aesthetics of the site - CBS is hands down better, I'll freely admit that. But I guess I play FF with guys who prefer function and reliability over the site being pretty.
Other than the server issues a couple years ago which (sucked big time), CBS has been excellent in recent years. if I am not mistaken, mfl actually has had more "reliability" issues over the last couple years...just this past season, didn't the waivers process for a bunch of leagues falter? And people couldn't log on right before gametimes to change their lineups? I'll search for the threads, but I am sure mfl had a few glitches recently that makes your "reliability" argument moot.

ETA:

One

Two

...and that was just a quick "mfl problems" search....I would guess there have been others.

As far as utility - hey, there are either drop down or listed menus at mfl, your choice. After that, it takes an owner the ability to move a cursor over to a box to select options and then click enter. If that's too challenging for owners in league to do, I honestly don't quite know what to say.

its not the functionality of the site once you have it set up....its the process of setting up the site. As my link showed, for anyone other than those that want high-end customization, its a PIA compared to CBS. I'd like to think I am above average in my computer skills, but when I went in and looked at all the html programming theohiostate had to do to get our site looking phenomenal...well, there's no way on earth I could have done it.

But to re-emphasize yet again, if you'd prefer to pay extra for CBS - hey, it's your money.

I don't "prefer" to pay more....I'd prefer it to be less. I pay it because for our league's needs, its worth it.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Jeebus Bronco, it's really pretty simple. Many of us play (or played) in leagues with guys who are not as gung-ho as those who are on this site. So, yes, they find it helpful that the site they use to manage the league has a bunch of info. Is that where I would go for my info? No, but sort of smacks of arrogance to scoff at the notion of someone else finding that useful. So, you can either belittle your friends for having a life and not wanting to research player info on other sites, or you just give in and choose a site that they all prefer.

And I find it odd that some are so quick to dismiss the visual element. Why do webmasters have jobs? Because people like nice looking websites. Nearly every one of them would convey the needed info even if they looked like crap, but people tend to prefer visually appealing websites. Do you blend all your food up into a brown mess? Still gets the job done, right?