[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did CBS Sportsline jack up their price, last year 89.99, this year $150!

euphy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also remember their weekly CBS server crashes and all the threads where people were locked out of their site on Sunday morning before the games started when CBS refused to upgrade their service sufficiently despite charging significantly more than almost every management service.

Exactly when I as commish moved my local to MFL. To each their own, but we are extremely happy wth MFL and can't envision a scenario where we would move back to CBS.

Incorrect on both.

I just clicked on our transaction report, and I can then click on any year I want.

here are some of the transactions from 2004...some are pretty funny:

but you are right on the message board...it only goes back to 2008, which is more than I've ever needed or wanted to keep.

My bad. I didn't bother to move that stuff over so you are probably right in that they don't have an automated process for that level of detailed info to port over. However I did work with them last year on improving their tool for migrating over CBS data. I had issues where team names changed from one year to the next when I had an owner change out.

I still use the Monday morning newspaper and a pencil. The innernet is a fad and you are all fools for using it.

+1, my oldest league is still completely offline. Our scoring rules are so convoluted that even MFL cannot accommodate them. It's a hugh PITA, but worth it to play FF with the same group for decades.

Whatever BB. I know some here have a financial interest in mfl, and thats OK. Not sure if you are one of them or not, but whatever.

The only person here that has done work for MFL is theeohiostate & I'm not sure he's actually paid by them or he just does work on the side for others in customization.

Along with smithkt

I don't believe anyone here has a direct stake in the company. Hopefully that is not what swammi is suggesting.

TOS does indeed have a side business going creating custom league sites. Capitalism at it's finest. More power to him. He does great work. A few suggestions I would make to him if he reads this: watch the size of some of the flash and graphics. Not everyone has high speed internet Make sure your image/flash/script hosting service is reliable and fast. Be careful using third party scrollers and stuff. Usually the biggest source of page loading delays.

I personally have never taken money from any end users for any of the assistance I have provided over the years. I was sent a check once by MFL for some coding work I did for them on a few templates I don't think that would constitute a financial interest. It was just contract work.

Of course I have also created the few Huddle skins available free of charge.

CBS is a perfectly good site.

MFL is a perfectly good site.

I've never understood the pissing match that comes up in every one of these threads. My first choice will always be MFL, but use whichever suits your needs and wallet.

As far as the appearance issues on MFL, yes CBS looks better by default. Part of their advantage is that, beside color choices and the ability to move a few modules around, they have complete control over the league page design. This allows them to program a better default experience. By limiting the amount of customization, they can make a more advanced default layout.

On the MFL side they make it so flexible that in some ways it limits the out of box experience. They can't use complex nested tabs and other such advanced functionality for the default pages as it would then limit the full customization which TOS and the others leverage to create their custom coding.

I'm not sure I am doing a very good job of explaining this. Bottom line is, to make it possible for everyone to have a TOS like site without the need for "guru" ability, the commish setup would be even more complex than it is now. They would have to create a series of tools that might rival Dreamweaver. That is too much to expect. Best we can hope for is for some better looking skins than the ones they have now. Some of them are truly awful.

Real time scoring updates every 60 seconds on the league page. 30 seconds if you use Gameday. It's one of the suggestions I make to them every year. I'd like to see them push changes rather than pull them on page refreshes. I think that would eliminate this complaint. They have told me before that there are technical hurdles preventing them from doing so. I hope they can get around it some day, but in the mean time I can wait 60 seconds.

With MFL do you get a fancy War Board and stickers like with CBS??????

maybe that's where the extra money goes to..

:wacko: I had to point out this gem from the new guy, good stuff...

I will say this. The geeks like MFL because it is easier to customize for scoring and cheaper. However, when I switched my local to it a few years ago, I got nothing but complaints. From issues with the fact that it looked like an eighth grader designed it in 1998 (which is true, it does look completely bootleg) to the fact that it didn't have as many stories and and insight and such for guys to read.

I will say this, our basic office league used Yahoo for the first couple of years then switched to MFL for a couple of years. Then some of the owners decided they wanted all the money going to the pot so we switched back to Yahoo last season with nothing but complaints from everyone. This year we are switching back to MFL once & for all. Mind you, these aren't your typical FF geeks. In fact most of them are not what you would call computer savvy by any means.

I will say this, our basic office league used Yahoo for the first couple of years then switched to MFL for a couple of years. Then some of the owners decided they wanted all the money going to the pot so we switched back to Yahoo last season with nothing but complaints from everyone. This year we are switching back to MFL once & for all.

My abacus is better than yahoo :wacko:

+1, my oldest league is still completely offline. Our scoring rules are so convoluted that even MFL cannot accommodate them. It's a hugh PITA, but worth it to play FF with the same group for decades.

Color me curious...what are these rules?

I recently had to bow out of my original fantasy football league, which is still done by emailing your opponent your lineup and subsequent scores.

That league also had some weird scoring rules, some of which I'm not sure MFL would be able to handle. We had graduated scoring for TDs based on yardage, and had bonuses for 100+ rushing or receiving and 300+ passing. Also, we doubled TDs that were "non-traditional" (QB sneak, RB receiving TD, etc.).

I'll say it again: MFL is better for dynasty leagues and seems to cater to that kind of owner. CBS (or perhaps even ESPN) seems to be fine for just about any other user. Not saying one is better than the other.

:wacko: I had to point out this gem from the new guy, good stuff...

I will say this, our basic office league used Yahoo for the first couple of years then switched to MFL for a couple of years. Then some of the owners decided they wanted all the money going to the pot so we switched back to Yahoo last season with nothing but complaints from everyone. This year we are switching back to MFL once & for all. Mind you, these aren't your typical FF geeks. In fact most of them are not what you would call computer savvy by any means.

Fair enough, and, IMO, I prefer MFL anyways. But I'd prefer almost anything to Yahoo. I originally posted my bit to share first hand experience from dealing with the complaints from league-mates (most of whom were not as committed as those here), because I thought it merited mention. That, if you're in a league with non-geeks, you may get grief for the switch.

In general, if you're in a league with non-geeks, you're going to constantly battling anyway. Like on scoring. It was hell just getting full yardage bonuses as opposed to token point drops at 100yds and such. Then decimal scoring. Again, more battles. All the things that people here recognize as better and more fair ways to score the game. And, at least to me, scoring and actual game-play are the most important things to work for. If that means you stop pushing at the website, so be it. That's one I'm prepared to give up if it means I may get my way on some of these other things.

Start

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR/TE

Kicker

Defense

Teams win each week based on winning 4 of 7 catagories

1) Rushing yds

2) Receiving yds

3) Passing yds

4) TD pts

5) TD yds

6) Total Net Yards (Rush+Rec+Pass+Kick)

7) Defense (Net yds allowed)

The league is a blast, and we have spreadsheets to do the calcs, but it is all manual data entry and a PITA. This year I think we are going to do roster management online.

Edited by jetsfan

Start

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR/TE

Kicker

Defense

1) Rushing yds

2) Receiving yds

3) Passing yds

4) TD pts

5) TD yds

The league is a blast, and we have spreadsheets to do the calcs, but it is all manual data entry and a PITA. This year I think we are going to do roster management online.

I don't think I've seen that before. Pretty cool concept for being relatively simple.

My oldest FF league has been using CBS forever, and I kind of hope that we stay there. I have a strong suspicion that some of the franchise owners rely heavily on the CBS site for their FF rankings, waiver recommendations and weekly start/bench advice. I would like to continue to support that behavior. Not to mention that I also really like the live gameday updates. I also prefer watching football on the CBS network solely for the statisical updates throughout the game.

That said, my main preference for a host site is MFL (by a lot) when you factor in cost, functionality and customer service.

I got the same complaints when we moved from CBS to MFL last year. I dont get it. You click a box and hit submit, how is that so hard? It really is not any different from CBS. Why pay CBS 179 for the same thing you get with MFL for 89, not to mention the discounts.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Bronco Billy complaining about someone arguing for the sake of arguing is humor.

Glad someone else pointed that out. Obviously, I'm not one to talk in that regard. And, if someone wants to call me arrogant, that's one thing. Lord knows I've done plenty to deserve it. But for Bronco to "amen brother" that comment...

Start

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR/TE

Kicker

Defense

1) Rushing yds

2) Receiving yds

3) Passing yds

4) TD pts

5) TD yds

I bet if you reached out to customer service for a few of the main sites, they'd be able to tell you a) whether or not their site can support and :wacko: if they can, how to customize. Truth be told, I miss the days of pouring over the NY Post (what we used way back when!) during lunch on a Monday and manually calculating scores. In your case, however, a few emails / phone calls could be well worth your time.

Interesting set up, by the way.

I bet if you reached out to customer service for a few of the main sites, they'd be able to tell you a) whether or not their site can support and :wacko: if they can, how to customize. Truth be told, I miss the days of pouring over the NY Post (what we used way back when!) during lunch on a Monday and manually calculating scores. In your case, however, a few emails / phone calls could be well worth your time.

Interesting set up, by the way.

the problem is the 7 categories to win the week. I've tried pretty much every site out there. I am sure MFL could do it if they wanted to, but I don't think this scoring format has a lot of people playing it to warrant consideration.