[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3rd year WR worth grabbing...

Slugs3511

Now you're selectively highlighting partial sentences to 'prove' your point? *sigh*.

And you've selectively read more into the OP's question and taken it upon yourself to (once again) attempt to convice people you know more than they do.

Here is the text from the OP...

Most fantasy football guys and gals, know there are a couple of 3rd year WRs on teams that grab the spotlight and erupt in otherwise obscure ways....these are the players that most of the time can make you seem like a genius...

I was just curious in looking at some....Who do you or will you target in the mid to late rounds as a 3rd year WR?

I play in ppr leagues, so here are my top 3....

For me....

1. Butler

2. Knox

3. Armendola

Any thoughts....Remember, I will not include the likes of Britt, Nicks, or Wallace who have already shown improvements as great 2nd year WRs.....

Seems pretty clear to me the OP has chosen to ask about 3rd year WRs who may break out. Nowhere does he say "Lets talk about 3rd year players because they are the only ones worth looking at." In fact, he ackowleges some players who have already "broken out" prior to year 3 thus not fitting the topic.

Then you jump into the discussion (one hand feverishly typing another one of your many posts congratulating yourself for some achievement no one else but you acknowleges and the other patting yourself on the back for doing it). You seem to be wanting credit for basically pointing out that a player can emerge at any point in his career and most likely between years 2-4. Where should they send the prize for such groundbreaking work and would you prefer "Capt Obvious" or "NoSHAM WOW! Sherlock" engraved upon it? :wacko:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something that'd I'd be impressed with, Brent. Use your amazing insight and tell us which of the players listed on page one will break out in the next 2 years.

So far we have the following either starting for their team or putting up good enough stats that FFers will take notice before its late in FF drafts:

Crabtree

Maclin

Harvin

Nicks

Britt

Wallace

Collie

So find the 7 guys remaining on the list that you'll insist will break out this coming year, and then the 7 others who haven't broken out by the end of this year who will do it in 2012, along with some logic to explain your 14 choices..

That would be well worthy of discussion.

Edited by Bronco Billy

there is definitely a range and the sweet spot is the 3rd year, but it's years 2-4 or nothing...sometimes a WR breaks out in years 1 or 5 and they are in the minority...

Louis Murphy would have had a breakout year last year had he not been hurt, but I question his durability - period....

it's years 2-4 and the number in the middle is simple (year 3)...so that's what it is called "the 3rd year breakout"....but the breakout occurs anywhere between years 2-4 :wacko:

Edited by Avernus

Here's something that'd I'd be impressed with, Brent. Use your amazing insight and tell us which of the players listed on page one will break out in the next 2 years.

So far we have the following either starting for their team or putting up good enough stats that FFers will take notice before its late in FF drafts:

Crabtree

Maclin

Harvin

Nicks

Britt

Wallace

Collie

So find the 7 guys remaining on the list that you'll insist will break out this coming year, and then the 7 others who haven't broken out by the end of this year who will do it in 2012, along with some logic to explain your 14 choices..

That would be well worthy of discussion.

I have a better idea. Give me a list of all the WRs entering their 2nd, 3rd & 4th year this season. Omit the guys who have already produced breakout seasons and we probably need to set criteria for what defines a 'breakout' season. I will take that list and identify who I think will have a breakout season in 2011 (or beyond).

Actually, Lloyd was quite clear and frank about his career on the radio. He said it was simply that he was an idiot early on, then when he went to other teams, his reputation, which was no longer reality, simply followed him and he never received a legit chance, not even here in DEN until he got his first real chance in years.

When asked what he'd like to say to the teams that passed over him after he 'grew up', he said, "they can go Ginsu themselves." When asked the next day if he'd like to take that comment back, he said, "nope, they can go Ginsu themselves again."

He's awesome :wacko:

I hope he continues to play well, but I'm concerned that he may have peaked last year. I'll be surprised if he comes anywhere close to what he did last year. I felt like at the end of last year the Denver WR corps were in good shape, but now that I think about it more I'm a little concerned. Royal really has done nothing since his rookie year, and Lloyd could easily disappear next year. We'll see if last year's rookies can get it together or not. Hope I'm wrong about the group.

I have a better idea. Give me a list of all the WRs entering their 2nd, 3rd & 4th year this season. Omit the guys who have already produced breakout seasons and we probably need to set criteria for what defines a 'breakout' season. I will take that list and identify who I think will have a breakout season in 2011 (or beyond) and then (even when they dont break out) I will still tell you I was right because the models suggested they would break out and the conditions were right that they should have broken out and they will still break out- just not in the timeframe previously identified...

:wacko:

Here's the folks I think are worth discussing. Obviously some are easier to pinpoint. Finding the diamonds in the rough is the fun part.

1.10 Michael Crabtree 49ers - An obvious choice to improve this year.

1.19 Jeremy Maclin Eagles - Less obvious than Crabtree, but should develop well with Vick.

1.22 Percy Harvin Vikings - Minus the migraines he could be a big breakout star, irrelevant of who's at QB.

1.29 Hakeem Nicks Giants - Pretty much "already there".

1.30 Kenny Britt Titans - Minus the off-field and potential QB issues, he has a chance to develop more this year.

3.19 Brandon Tate Patriots - Minus Moss, has an opportunity to shine. Problem is, the Pats spread the ball around so much.

3.20 Mike Wallace Steelers - Like Nicks, he's pretty much already there.

4.7 Mike Thomas Jaguars - Maybe I got lost in the pissing match that broke out here, but this guy is probably the one that will develop the most out of the third-year WRs.

4.27 Austin Collie Colts - Could be a PPR god if he can avoid the injury bug.

5.4 Johnny Knox Bears - A nice, under-the-radar type who could end up being a solid #2 fantasy WR... thing is, you won't have to pay much for him.

7.24 Sammie Stroughter Buccaneers - Deep sleeper here. If Benn doesn't develop, Stroughter's probably next in line to pair up with Williams.

good stuff. Why Stroughter over Briscoe?

Just caught this, Ope:

link

Word from Bucs players is that second-year wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe, whom the team was forecasting as the number three receiver and a potential starter if Benn can’t go at the start of the season, has not been attending many of the offseason workouts.

Briscoe is talented, but was not a hard worker prior to the draft and many teams were put off by his soft frame, which caused him to slip to the sixth round where he was drafted by Cincinnati, and later signed by Tampa Bay. Some players, like Briscoe apparently, could have used some extra motivation by the coaching staff this offseason.

Wait, how did this thread get this far without Opie making his case for Eron Riley?

Ravens

WR Eron Riley (Duke)

I rostered Riley with late picks in 2 deep leagues. He's got some ability, but the BAL WR corps is getting awfully crowded lately. I'm pretty much to the point of giving up on him, since he had a spot to fill when BAL was WR-needy and couldn't get a sniff.

What about Bronco WR, Eric Decker? Anyone liking his prospects?

Not sure what to make of him. There's noise about his taking over Gaffney's spot as a starter, but I haven't seen any evidence so far as his being anything better than a decent kick returner who will get some spot duty as a WR. The LisFranc fracture spooks me a bit for potential in returning.

Regarding Riley, he is rostered with DEN right now. Liking Willis' chances of coming out of nowhere better, though.

I say Brian Robiskie. Two main reasons:

1. I just picked him up off of waivers in my dynasty league.

2. Look at his production late in the year last year. 3 TDs in the last 3 games. He's got size, speed, NFL pedigree, is on a team with a second year QB who showed promise last year and that has a glaring need to improve its passing game this year. The offense should improve overall with the addition of Hardesty to the running game, the further development of McCoy along with McCoy presumably staying healthy which he didn't do last year. Keep in mind that this will be Robiskie's third year, and he is still only 23 years old. If he fails to produce this year however, he will have competition at the position in the form of second round pick Greg Little.

Edited by Crazysight

• 2 months later...

Bumping to ask current opinions of Brandon Tate. A few people (myself included) had highlighted him as a possible breakout candidate this season. His situation has obviously changed (dropped by NE, picked up by Cinci) greatly. I see that he has been active for all three games this year and is returning punts and kicks but does not have any offensive stats. Has he been rendered exclusively a Special Teams guy now with Cinci? Any scenario you can see that would get him more playing time? I would think the injury to Shipley and/or impending discipline for Simpson might open the door for Tate to get some playing time at WR but maybe not :wacko:

Thoughts?