[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Rosenhaus fails drug test

bpwallace49

NFL | Terrelle Pryor's agent expects him to be first round pick

Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:57:46 -0700 Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor, said he expects Pryor to be taken in the first round of the 2011 NFL Supplemental Draft. "He is one of the most gifted quarterbacks that the NFL has seen. For anyone who questions where he's going to be drafted, I expect him to be a first-round pick in the supplemental draft," Rosenhaus said.

:wacko:

Was listening to Mike Mayock talk about this on NFLTA last night, and after having a good laugh about his statement, he made the point that this is exactly what agents do, drive up the player's percieved value, which can be even more important than his actual value.

Though yes, you'd have to be on crack to think that a team is going to give up their first round-pick next year to get him, but if you can create a buzz, you can definitely create a situation where a team might reach for him if they think others are looking to snag him...

Though with very little time and no combine, pro-day or anything to show his abilities to throw accurately and run an NFL offense, it's pretty doubtful Rosenhaus' statements are going to do much of anything for his draft slot.

I don't know much about the supplemental draft.

For instance:

How many players enter this draft?

Who is eligible?

How many rounds are there?

Why are no other players being talked about for this draft?

What is confusing is that I haven't heard about any players partaking in this year's supplemental draft except for Pryor. So the confusing part is that one would expect Pryor to be a 1st rounder since nobody else is being talked about regarding this supplemental draft other than Pryor, yet the consensus is that Pryor goes in the middle rounds :wacko: . So who is going in the early rounds and why aren't we hearing more about them?

Clarity is welcome.

Was listening to Mike Mayock talk about this on NFLTA last night, and after having a good laugh about his statement, he made the point that this is exactly what agents do, drive up the player's percieved value, which can be even more important than his actual value.

Though yes, you'd have to be on crack to think that a team is going to give up their first round-pick next year to get him, but if you can create a buzz, you can definitely create a situation where a team might reach for him if they think others are looking to snag him...

Though with very little time and no combine, pro-day or anything to show his abilities to throw accurately and run an NFL offense, it's pretty doubtful Rosenhaus' statements are going to do much of anything for his draft slot.

Ahhh, I see. So it seems that if a team wants player A via the supplemental draft, they must forfeit the following year's round/pick to acquire said player. That clears it up a little.

Still curious how many guys eligible and the eligibility requirements. And why didn't these players go in the regular draft. The only situation in recent memory that I've heard of this supplemental draft was with big Mike Williams from USC a few years back.

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformati...lementdraft.htm

The Supplemental Draft, is designed to allow underclassmen --who did not petition the league for early entry before the NFL Draft deadline but find themselves ineligible for the upcoming college season-- a vehicle for entering the NFL. The supplemental draft is held after the traditional NFL Draft and before each season begins.

The league uses a weighted three-step, semi-lottery system to determine the order of the supplemental draft as follows:

Teams with six wins or less participate in the first lottery for the top supplemental draft picks. The team that posted the worst record among that group is given a weighted advantage over the following team, with each team's "weight" being decreased on down the line until reaching the team with the best record in the group.

The second group consists of non-playoff teams and follows the same weighted system.

The third group consists of last season's 12 playoff teams and, again, follows the same lottery system.

After the order is determined, each team submits to the league the name of the player(s) they are interested in, as well as the round of the supplemental draft they would like to choose them in. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded rights to the player. If more than one team bids a pick from the same round, the team with the highest pick in the round wins out.

If a team uses a pick in the Supplemental Draft, they must forfeit their choice in the corresponding round of the next years NFL Draft

Anybody using a 1st round pick to take Pryor would be an idiot, regardless of how he turned out as a pro.

Ahhh, I see. So it seems that if a team wants player A via the supplemental draft, they must forfeit the following year's round/pick to acquire said player. That clears it up a little.

Still curious how many guys eligible and the eligibility requirements. And why didn't these players go in the regular draft. The only situation in recent memory that I've heard of this supplemental draft was with big Mike Williams from USC a few years back.

(Edit: people already posted how the SD works)

Though traditionally it's been used for guys who did not want to play for a particular team they were likely to be drafted by in the regular draft, which seems a bit classless, but apparently is within the rules. However:

As of the 1990 season, only players who had graduated or exhausted their college eligibility were made available for the supplemental draft. Since 1993, only players who had planned to attend college but for various reasons could not have been included in the supplemental draft.

I can't remember what was speculated about Michael Floyd before, but it's my understanding that it tends to be with guys who missed the previous deadline for the draft, but have decided now to go to the NFL.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Off the top of my heard the supplemental draft works like this . . .

Players are eligible if they did NOT declare for the NFL draft and now want to declare. Often this happens for kids kicked out of school for academics or "other" issues.

All teams put in "blind bid" waivers for whta round they want the kid for. If a team "thinks" they can get him with a 5th round pick, they then bid next year's 5th round pick for the guy, and he is a member of that team. If they get "outbid" by someone in a higher round, then they keep their pick, and it goes to the highest bidder. Ties are broken by the NFL draft order, before trades (so carolina is first, etc . . .Packers are last)

I am also disappointed that no one else here knows that. . . . . n00bs. :wacko:

Though traditionally it's been used for guys who did not want to play for a particular team they were likely to be drafted by in the regular draft, which seems a bit classless, but apparently is within the rules. However:

I thought that if taken in the regular draft, a team owned said player's rights until the following year.

actually, I don't think ties are broken by draft order, rather that if multiple teams with six or less wins bid on the same player with the same round, then it goes to a lottery situation. CAR doesn't automatically win any equal bid.

Take Luck for example, I imagine that every team with six or less wins will bid a 1st on him. They all have a chance at landing him, but the odds are, CAR isn't the team since they'd be playing against the field.

That is correct, and was quoted from a website earlier. I did mine all from memory.

I thought that if taken in the regular draft, a team owned said player's rights until the following year.

No, what I'm saying is that players would forego the regular draft and later enter the supplemental to go to their preferred team, in a slightly less scummy Elway or Eli sort of way. From the rest of that wikipedia article:

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Quarterback Bernie Kosar who had led University of Miami to its first National Championship in 1984 was earning his academic degree as a junior. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami he wanted to turn pro. At this time college players had to wait for their class unless they themselves graduated early.

A plan was devised by football agent A. J. Faigin[4] that was to get him to his preferred team, the Cleveland Browns. Faigin was representing former U of Miami QB and future Hall of Famer, Jim Kelly, then in the USFL, but whose NFL rights were held by the Buffalo Bills. The USFL was in its last days and Kelly would soon be available to the Bills. AJ Faigin's first step was to ask Bill Polian, the GM of Buffalo, if he would be willing to trade the number one Supplemental pick (worth next to nothing at that time) to Cleveland. Polian agreed and Faigin told the Cleveland Browns a trade was available. He next notified Kosar's father he should not formally submit his son's application for the standard NFL draft that was weeks away and declare only afterward; which would put him into the Supplemental Draft.

The result of Kosar’s withdrawal resulted in rare open warfare among NFL teams played out in the newspapers with threats of lawsuits between them, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. But as no rules were broken the Giants and eventually Minnesota had to back down. Kosar went on to lead Cleveland to five playoffs and three AFC Championship games. Following that season, the NFL instituted the current semi-random supplemental draft order.

The strategy devised by A.J. Faigin, to not declare for the NFL until after the regular draft, was subsequently used by other top players for various reasons. In some cases, it was because they did not want to play for the team that would have drafted them in the regular draft. For example, Brian Bosworth did not declare because he did not want to play for the Indianapolis Colts or the Buffalo Bills, the teams who drafted second and third that year. The Colts had offered him a 4 year, $2.2 million deal before the draft.[5] The Seattle Seahawks won the right to draft first in the supplemental draft, and later signed him to a 10 year, $11 million contract.[6] At the time that was the largest rookie contract in NFL history.

No, what I'm saying is that players would forego the regular draft and later enter the supplemental to go to their preferred team, in a slightly less scummy Elway or Eli sort of way. From the rest of that wikipedia article:

Understood...

Out of curiosity & because my Google search netted me only a web link that is blocked from work, :wacko: are there any real notable players that have been taken in the supplemental draft?

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformati...lementdraft.htm

Anybody using a 1st 4th round pick or better to take Pryor would be an idiot, regardless of how he turned out as a pro.

It's one thing to attempt to get into people's minds and get your guy bumped a little to enhance his potential pay a little. It's a whole different matter to make yourself look like you were at Happy Hour about 5 drinks too long. Rosenhaus didn't help his client, he made himself look like a complete fool by uttering such an over-the-top statement like this.

After watching what Wisconsin did to Pryor and then watching Dalton cut that same Wisconsin team apart, it's pretty easy to tell that even without the baggage that Pryor carries that he ought to be lucky to find someone who will use a 4th rounder on him. Add in the character flaws and he's sinking to a 5th rounder or lower.

It's one thing to attempt to get into people's minds and get your guy bumped a little to enhance his potential pay a little. It's a whole different matter to make yourself look like you were at Happy Hour about 5 drinks too long. Rosenhaus didn't help his client, he made himself look like a complete fool by uttering such an over-the-top statement like this.

After watching what Wisconsin did to Pryor and then watching Dalton cut that same Wisconsin team apart, it's pretty easy to tell that even without the baggage that Pryor carries that he ought to be lucky to find someone who will use a 4th rounder on him. Add in the character flaws and he's sinking to a 5th rounder or lower.

You're talking about the same guy who leaped into Plaxico Burress' arms like a left-behind lover upon his exit from prison. :wacko:

You're talking about the same guy who leaped into Plaxico Burress' arms like a left-behind lover upon his exit from prison. :wacko:

LOL, I would've to, only for the mere fact that Burress has been getting a ton of media attention which will also drive a team to think twice about getting him which would offer him at least one last nice little pay day which means a nice commission for the agent. He's hugging the money, not Burress.

He did a pretty decent sell-job for Willis McGahee, getting him into the first round after McGahee shredded his knee... :wacko:

The difference being McGahee was actually good and worthy of a 1st round pick before the injury.

Understood...

Out of curiosity & because my Google search netted me only a web link that is blocked from work, :wacko: are there any real notable players that have been taken in the supplemental draft?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8613681

Notable NFL Supplemental Draft picks

By Mark Paul, Yahoo! Contributor Network Jun 9, 4:40 pm EDT

The NFL Supplemental Draft is likely going to be in the headlines in 2011 because of Terrelle Pryor. Of course, it remains to be seen if Pryor will even be involved in the Supplemental Draft. The Ohio State quarterback still had college eligibility left, and usually the Supplemental Draft is only for those without it. Also, Pryor may have to play in the CFL or UFL for a year due to the NFL lockout. Add in that fact that Pryor might not be a highly regarded prospect, and all the hype could be for nothing. However, if Pryor does reach the Supplemental Draft, he will be among the most notable selections ever. Here is a look at the five most notable picks in the NFL Supplemental Draft.

1. Bernie Kosar - 1985

Kosar was a star quarterback at Miami. Through a series of strange events, Kosar didn't declare until after the regular NFL Draft was held despite the fact that he would have been a high pick. As a result, he wound up in the Supplemental Draft and was taken in the first round by the Cleveland Browns. Kosar played eight full seasons with the Browns, leading them to the playoffs five times. He also spent time in Dallas and Miami before retiring in 1996. It was a solid career for Kosar.

2. Cris Carter - 1987

Carter was ineligible for his senior year after signing with an agent. The Philadelphia Eagles took Carter in the fourth round of the Supplemental Draft. Carter would go on to play 16 seasons, including 12 with the Minnesota Vikings. He is a lock for the NFL Hall of Fame, catching 130 touchdown passes in his career.

3. Brian Bosworth - 1987

Bosworth is one of the most colorful personalities in football history. The Oklahoma star did not declare until after the draft, meaning he was part of the Supplemental Draft. The Seattle Seahawks selected him in the first round. Bosworth signed a huge contract with Seattle but never lived up to it. He was done with football just a few games into the 1989 season, done in by poor play, an even worse attitude, and a shoulder injury. A mediocre acting career followed.

4. Steve Walsh - 1989

In the midst of their worst era, the Dallas Cowboys took Walsh in the first round of the Supplemental Draft. They had already used a number one overall pick in the regular draft in Troy Aikman that year. Obviously, Aikman went on to a Hall of Fame career. In 1989, Walsh appeared in eight games and made five starts. He was sent to New Orleans during the 1990 season and bounced around between a total of six teams. He made 38 starts in his career.

5. Jamal Williams - 1998

Williams played at Oklahoma State. He entered the Supplemental Draft and was taken by the San Diego Chargers after being ruled ineligible for academic reasons. Williams played in San Diego through the 2009 season before moving to the Denver Broncos. He thrived as the nose tackle in San Diego's 3-4 defense, reaching several Pro Bowls and helping the Chargers defense become one of the best.