[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where & when did championship rings originate?

I know the Lombardi Packers got them. Was this a practice from earlier in other sports? Are there championship rings out there from the 1930's or 40's in pro, or even college sports? Does this go back to the Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, or Chinese? When and where did this practice start?

I know that it was 1893 when the first Stanley Cup ring was made. (Was the first Stanley Cup.) And the NFL NY Giants gave their first in 1922. Not sure about other sports or if the Greeks/Romans gave any out.

ETA: Nice one John.... I have to start typing faster. :wacko:

Edited by skylive5

I know the Lombardi Packers got them. Was this a practice from earlier in other sports? Are there championship rings out there from the 1930's or 40's in pro, or even college sports? Does this go back to the Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, or Chinese? When and where did this practice start?

According to this, the first NFL rings came out in 1922, the Stanley cup rings came out in 1893

It took you a whole 16 minutes to answer this, BJ. You are seriously slowing down, roomie...LOL!

I know that it was 1893 when the first Stanley Cup ring was made. (Was the first Stanley Cup.) And the NFL NY Giants gave their first in 1922. Not sure about other sports or if the Greeks/Romans gave any out.

ETA: Nice one John.... I have to start typing faster. :tup:

If you're going by John's link, there's a major discrepency in the "1922 New York Giants" world champion rings: the NYG didn't form until 1925, and the Bulldogs won the 1922 NFL. I'm GUESSING that site meant to type 1927 (since it's clearly a Giants ring), the year of their first championship - and 7 is a hand written number that COULD look like a 2. So that site is WRONG.

That's how rumors get started... :wacko:

If you're going by John's link, there's a major discrepency in the "1922 New York Giants" world champion rings: the NYG didn't form until 1925, and the Bulldogs won the 1922 NFL. I'm GUESSING that site meant to type 1927 (since it's clearly a Giants ring), the year of their first championship - and 7 is a hand written number that COULD look like a 2. So that site is WRONG.

That's how rumors get started... :wacko:

Good catch. :tup: