[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Experts Mock Draft tonight on MFL

j2v

The Huddle will be represented in the 2011 MyFantasyLeague Expert Draft No. 2 Live Draft tonight beginning around 8:00 p.m. central.

Public viewing (note: you must log in, and enter via the league homepage): http://www33.myfantasyleague.com/2011/ajax_ld?L=54951

Draft Grid: http://football33.myfantasyleague.com/2011...=54951&O=17

My quick reactions.

-Love getting a 16-round draft done in 75 minutes

-R4: Thought about going Gates, but was rewarded when Clark was still there in R5. Also thought about Collie here but thought he would last another round; was wrong on that.

-Decided in R6 there were enough QBs on the board to wait on the position. Took Cutler in R9 because both Flacco and Bradford have the same bye week and since I was planning to take two I didn't want to end up with two guys with the same bye. Both Flacco and Bradford ended up being available in R10, went with Flacco. IMO that's the cutoff for QBs; after Bradford, with the exception of Fitzpatrick it's a real mess--especially when I didn't get an elite guy as my regular QB1.

-Didn't like the WR options in R11 so took Cooley. In a PPR with a flex, he has real upside.

-TE is a deep, deep position. Gresham went in the 13th, Keller was still there; love both those guys in a PPR

-I know I'm not the only one who likes Danny Amendola as a Wes Welker type this season, but he went in the 7th round of this draft. That feels a tad aggressive even for me.

The results:

1.09 Johnson, Calvin DET WR

2.04 Jackson, Steven STL RB

3.09 Best, Jahvid DET RB

4.04 Williams, Mike TBB WR

5.09 Clark, Dallas IND TE

6.04 Jones, Felix DAL RB

7.09 Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

8.04 Thomas, Mike JAC WR

9.09 Cutler, Jay CHI QB

10.04 Flacco, Joe BAL QB

11.09 Cooley, Chris WAS TE

12.04 Shipley, Jordan CIN WR

13.09 Bennett, Earl CHI WR

14.04 Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Def

15.09 Bryant, Matt ATL PK

16.04 Gonzalez, Anthony IND WR

My quick reactions.

-Love getting a 16-round draft done in 75 minutes

-R4: Thought about going Gates, but was rewarded when Clark was still there in R5. Also thought about Collie here but thought he would last another round; was wrong on that.

-Decided in R6 there were enough QBs on the board to wait on the position. Took Cutler in R9 because both Flacco and Bradford have the same bye week and since I was planning to take two I didn't want to end up with two guys with the same bye. Both Flacco and Bradford ended up being available in R10, went with Flacco. IMO that's the cutoff for QBs; after Bradford, with the exception of Fitzpatrick it's a real mess--especially when I didn't get an elite guy as my regular QB1.

-Didn't like the WR options in R11 so took Cooley. In a PPR with a flex, he has real upside.

-TE is a deep, deep position. Gresham went in the 13th, Keller was still there; love both those guys in a PPR

-I know I'm not the only one who likes Danny Amendola as a Wes Welker type this season, but he went in the 7th round of this draft. That feels a tad aggressive even for me.

The results:

1.09 Johnson, Calvin DET WR

2.04 Jackson, Steven STL RB

3.09 Best, Jahvid DET RB

4.04 Williams, Mike TBB WR

5.09 Clark, Dallas IND TE

6.04 Jones, Felix DAL RB

7.09 Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

8.04 Thomas, Mike JAC WR

9.09 Cutler, Jay CHI QB

10.04 Flacco, Joe BAL QB

11.09 Cooley, Chris WAS TE

12.04 Shipley, Jordan CIN WR

13.09 Bennett, Earl CHI WR

14.04 Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Def

15.09 Bryant, Matt ATL PK

16.04 Gonzalez, Anthony IND WR

1.09 Johnson, Calvin DET WR - Love it

2.04 Jackson, Steven STL RB - Don't like it (jmho). He scares me every year and I aways avoid. I would have went Matt Forte.

3.09 Best, Jahvid DET RB - Don't like. Huge upside but injury prone. I would have went Miles Austin here and said "championship".

4.04 Williams, Mike TBB WR - Don't like it (jmho). Surely a smart pick, I just have a hunch that he has a down year. I would have went DeAngelo Williams and spouted a cocky laugh.

5.09 Clark, Dallas IND TE - Love it! Great value pick. A++

6.04 Jones, Felix DAL RB - Love it!! Great value again. HUGH upside!

7.09 Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB - Great value pick.

8.04 Thomas, Mike JAC WR - Great value pick. I'm always scared of JAX WRs though.

9.09 Cutler, Jay CHI QB - Love it! Great value pick, top 5 potential if leagues doesn't punish for ints.

10.04 Flacco, Joe BAL QB - Great value. I'm not a Flacco fan but I inherited him in a dynasty. So I'm pulling for him.

11.09 Cooley, Chris WAS TE - Great value. HUGH upside especially considering flex options.

12.04 Shipley, Jordan CIN WR - Neutral

13.09 Bennett, Earl CHI WR - Don't like, jmho

14.04 Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Def - Great value. PHI defense is always near the top.

15.09 Bryant, Matt ATL PK - He's a kicker

16.04 Gonzalez, Anthony IND WR - Has upside if Collie's problems persist or any other injury for that matter. Of course, he likes the ambulance too.

All in all I think you drafted a good team and you really hit in the later rounds but I'd be worried about your 2-4 round picks. Obviously, it's personal preference and stat wise, you can't argue with those picks.

Thanks for sharing. Good read :wacko:

Edited by Brentastic

1.09 Johnson, Calvin DET WR - Love it

2.04 Jackson, Steven STL RB - Don't like it (jmho). He scares me every year and I aways avoid. JMHO

3.09 Best, Jahvid DET RB - Neutral. Huge upside, injury prone.

4.04 Williams, Mike TBB WR - Don't like it (jmho). Surely a smart pick, I just have a hunch that he has a down year.

5.09 Clark, Dallas IND TE - Love it! Great value pick. A++

6.04 Jones, Felix DAL RB - Love it!! Great value again. HUGH upside!

7.09 Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB - Great value pick.

8.04 Thomas, Mike JAC WR - Great value pick. I'm always scared of JAX WRs though.

9.09 Cutler, Jay CHI QB - Love it! Great value pick, top 5 potential if leagues doesn't punish for ints.

10.04 Flacco, Joe BAL QB - Great value. I'm not a Flacco fan but I inherited him in a dynasty. So I'm pulling for him.

11.09 Cooley, Chris WAS TE - Great value. HUGH upside especially considering flex options.

12.04 Shipley, Jordan CIN WR - Neutral

13.09 Bennett, Earl CHI WR - Don't like, jmho

14.04 Eagles, Philadelphia PHI Def - Great value. PHI defense is always near the top.

15.09 Bryant, Matt ATL PK - He's a kicker

16.04 Gonzalez, Anthony IND WR - Has upside if Collie's problems persist or any other injury for that matter. Of course, he likes the ambulance too.

All in all I think you drafted a good team and you really hit in the later rounds but I'd be worried about your 2-4 round picks. Obviously, it's personal preference and stat wise, you can't argue with those picks.

Thanks for sharing. Good read :wacko:

I didn't love the SJax pick either. Was hoping Nicks or White might swing back, but they didn't. Considered Michael Turner and in most cases probably would have taken him there even though it's a PPR. But Jackson still has no one threatening to take his touches, so I went that route. I do like Williams but as mentioned above if I do that R4 pick over it's probably Gates or Collie. I really thought Collie would last at least another round; I'll have to recalibrate my thinking. Bennett in R13 will likely be a starter and already has the relationship with Cutler; in a year where there will be a ton of QBs unfamiliar with their wideouts, it's as good a dice roll at that point as any.

Overall, I agree that this draft contained a lot of value picks, but it is definitely not top heavy and will need to be well coached to succeed.

Didn't analyze everything but first looks scare me on this team.

Below average at QB (unless Flacco has a breakout year which I doubt)

Below average at RB (agree that Jackson is still the horse but I'm down on him that high, Felix Jones has been gonna break out every year but it hasn't happened)

Very good at WR (Calvin could be the top WR in the league this year...If Williams picks up where he left off you are set here)

TE is potentially very good (If Clark is all the way back then it's a great pick as we know that Manning loves the TE position. However Tamme picked up the slack in great fashion when Clark got hurt and may provide a threat if Clark isn't 100%)

It's the peril of taking a WR in the first round. Maybe it's better to snag Jones-Drew or Gore there and then Nicks slips to you in round 2. Not a fan of the 9th position so I'm not sure how good a team can be picked at that spot.

What are the roster requirements? If this is a PPR league starting 2-3 RB, the team at #12 got the apparent steal of the draft early on in MJD at 2.1. Andre Johnson was the first WR again and you can't argue against it, but in my experience picking a WR early in the first round generally leaves very little room for error in most typical scoring formats.

Last year we debated bout getting Andre Johnson at #4 in WCOFF and it was an ultimate blessing we didn't. AJ was on the lower end of top 10 WR scoring, but value wise it generally hurt respective teams moreso than a RB that may have been available who hit 6 - 10 scoring at their respective position.

We did a statistical breakdown of success on teams who picked a WR first and it wasn't pretty. However, those who picked Randy Moss during the Tom Brady record setting year looked very solid (of course Moss slipped in drafts that year and went early in the first the year after). I'm becoming more convinced that many experienced FF owners look for too much of a home run in the first round instead of taking more strategical reaches in the subsequent rounds. The high stakes money (and local lower stakes money) I've won is generally due to rounds 4 and/or 5 through 8 with a shot of luck from rounds 9 through 12.

I'm surprised Peterson wasn't first.

McCoy at 1.4 :wacko:

Mendenhall at 1.8...this must be non PPR :tup:

Edited by bushwacked

I didn't love the SJax pick either. Was hoping Nicks or White might swing back, but they didn't. Considered Michael Turner and in most cases probably would have taken him there even though it's a PPR.

What are the roster requirements? If this is a PPR league starting 2-3 RB, the team at #12 got the apparent steal of the draft early on in MJD at 2.1. Andre Johnson was the first WR again and you can't argue against it, but in my experience picking a WR early in the first round generally leaves very little room for error in most typical scoring formats.

Last year we debated bout getting Andre Johnson at #4 in WCOFF and it was an ultimate blessing we didn't. AJ was on the lower end of top 10 WR scoring, but value wise it generally hurt respective teams moreso than a RB that may have been available who hit 6 - 10 scoring at their respective position.

We did a statistical breakdown of success on teams who picked a WR first and it wasn't pretty. However, those who picked Randy Moss during the Tom Brady record setting year looked very solid (of course Moss slipped in drafts that year and went early in the first the year after). I'm becoming more convinced that many experienced FF owners look for too much of a home run in the first round instead of taking more strategical reaches in the subsequent rounds. The high stakes money (and local lower stakes money) I've won is generally due to rounds 4 and/or 5 through 8 with a shot of luck from rounds 9 through 12.

I always take a WR in the 1st round unless I have a top 3-4 pick and can get ADP. This approach works well for me consistently. But I'm also extremely risk averse in the first 3 rounds, I don't go for homeruns, I go for the guy who has the highest probability for success which is why I usually go WR. IF ADP and the like are gone and I must choose between a Calvin/Andre/Wayne type guy or a Mendenhall/Turner type, I'm going stud WR every single time. The variance in the top 10 RBs from year to year is more extreme than WR - or at the very least, I am a better judge of which WRs are less risky. Plus, I personally think that RBs are a bigger injury risk which points me toward WR even more in that 1st round. Many times I go WR/WR in rounds 1 & 2 because it's still less risky for me. I also think it's easier to pick sleeper RBs in rounds 3+ than sleeper WRs and because the turnover in RBs is more frequent, it's a wiser move to lock down stud WRs early and stockpile RBs with upside later. That's just my approach and it works for me. I can't remember the last time I haven't come out ahead cumulatively in all my fantasy leagues.

Looking at the team that picked first (Jason Sarney/Fantasy Phenoms), he easily did the best in my opinion:

QB Michael Vick (Orton)

RB Arian Foster, Shonn Greene (Daniel Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mikel Leshoure, Danny Woodhead)

WR Dwyane Bowe, Johnny Knox (Braylon Edwards, Steve Smith CAR, Plaxico Burress)

TE Aaron Hernandez

I mean he has arguably the No. 1 QB, No. 1 RB, Top-5 WR...and he has great depth with Greene, Thomas, Leshoure at RB and Knox, Edwards, Smith and Burress?!??!