[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many players are on your Dynasty Roster?

Curt Dallas

I'm curious as to the size of different dynasty league roster sizes. I've never played in a dynasty league and I'm just wondering how much player knowledge I would have to have to try and compete in a dynasty league. Please include if you have IDPs or Taxi squads.

There's a solution for that when you get started... Do everything you can to get the best players in only some positions. Like I bet your current knowledge is good enough to know who the best QBs and TEs are, so if you were in a startup dynasty draft, spend an earlier pick on the best ones and don't worry about researching sleeper QBs and TEs.

In year one, do the same with either RBs or WRs... just get the best ones for one position -- eg. RB, and then don't worry about learning whether Woodhead can climb to a starting role over BJGE, Vereen, and/or Ridley.

Get the best RBs, for example, and then start learning about potential depth/sleepers for the WR. Like should you roster Blair White since Wayne is older and Garcon, Gonz, and Collie all have injury concerns, so maybe Blair White is the starter in week eight?

Then in year two start learning about all the RB depth/sleepers.

By then, you'll forget your wife's name, her birthday, where you left the car, whether your underwear is clean or not... all cuz you now know Jeremy Williams in on PHI's practice squad.

I'm not sure how the IDP owners manage all that data.

I think the biggest learning curve to those new to dynasty is judging value of draft picks to current players

Ive seen many noobs get stuck in the basement because of trading future draft picks for vet players with only a year or two left at a high level of play.

Our 12-team non-IDP league has 19-man rosters and 8-man taxi squads. It's a nice balance. For example, I was still able to get Hillis off waivers a few days before the season began last year.

wow 8 man taxi ,,, interesting

are you allowed to move a player to taxi after he has been on an active roster ,,, either on your team or someone elses ?

are you allowed to move a player to taxi after he has been on an active roster ,,, either on your team or someone elses ?

Not in any of my leagues. Once activated, they can't return to the taxi squad of any team.

The easy answer to your question is, you're pretty much going to want to look at every skill player on every team & at the very least be familiar with them. If it's IDP, then you're also going to want to become familiar with teams defensive schemes in order to be able to judge which players will typically score better. Such as, in a 4-3 defense, the MLB is usually the best player to have followed by the WLB & DE's. DT's usually don't score well in any defensive scheme & neither do SLB's, but there are always exceptions. In a 3-4 however, your ILB's are typically the best scoring options, followed by your rush OLB's and in a 3-4 defense, you're DE's are typically much lower in production & the NT is not worth rostering. There are some very good write-ups here on the boards & on the main site on schemes, I'm sur esomebody can dig them up for you.

I've heard of at least a couple leagues where you're allowed to activate/deactivate players at any time (I assume they still have to be in their first 3 years though), and it just makes little sense to me. It would seem to serve almost the exact same purpose as the bench, and thus would make more sense to just add roster spots instead.

If a player is worth cracking your lineup, and not just a stash developmental prospect, then IMO, they have no business on your DTS.

How many roster spots would seem to be kind of league/lineup-size specific, and I might recommend starting smaller and then expanding rosters, or at least the DTS. I would say the minimum number of DTS spots should be at least as many as rounds in your rookie draft, and again maybe expanding it in time, so that you have a place to keep all of your developmental prospects. (This is more important if it's contract dynasty, so you don't waste all their contract years on the developmental ones)

Edited by delusions of granduer

From our rules concerning Taxi

4.7 Taxi Squad Transactions

1) During the NFL season a team may place a player on the Taxi Squad if the player is inactive for any reason other than injury, including bye weeks. The cost of a Taxi Squad is $5 charge per move.

2) If a player remains on a Taxi Squad for more than one week of the NFL schedule then the player will be locked to the Taxi Squad until the end of the season.

3) A team may only have a maximum 2 players on the Taxi Squad list at anytime.

4) All players must be moved back on to a team’s active rooster at the end of the PSDL season (Section 2.2). If a team does not have enough transaction money to move the player back to their active roster, the player will be released to the free agent pool.

Started off as 6-man taxi, we upped it to 8.

The first year, we could add any player to taxi provided he had not been in the league for more than three years. (He also could not have been on an active roster if it was during the season.) Since then, only rookies are allowed on taxi squad, and they cannot have been on an active roster.

I'm gonna guess that the flaw is that you bid on players who aren't DTS eligible and then get mad about it? :wacko:

Nope..limiting DTS to rookies is assinine. Just because a player was never rostered and has only played in the league 2 years, doesn't mean he can't be DTS. I hate leagues that imploy this dumb@ss rule. It needs to be overhauled.

Wow 8 man taxi squads? You guys are playing Elementary leauges. Most of my BoTH leauges imploy 12 man taxi squads. Get a grip fella's and learn how to play dynasty.

Wow 12 man taxi squads ? 30 man taxi for me..............

There is a flaw in that scheme...let me see if you can spot it.

No flaw at all......a taxi is for drafting rookies in my league...if a rookie is undrafted you can pick him up and taxi him as well as long as you don't ever start the guy in a game.

If they are 2nd year player they just simply go on your roster......not like there are any FA's anyway ...35 man rosters, 30 man taxis x 12 teams........65 x 12 = very low FA pool.

So the flaw is what again ? Best league out there running my son there are no flaws in my leagues.

No flaw at all......a taxi is for drafting rookies in my league...if a rookie is undrafted you can pick him up and taxi him as well as long as you don't ever start the guy in a game.

If they are 2nd year player they just simply go on your roster......not like there are any FA's anyway ...35 man rosters, 30 man taxis x 12 teams........65 x 12 = very low FA pool.

So the flaw is what again ? Best league out there running my son there are no flaws in my leagues.

Hey pal...get this straight. A taxi is for develpemental players correct? So if a player goes undrafted in the league and you pick him up a year later, he requires a contract per your rules correct? That is bullSHAM WOW!. Any player not rostered under 3 years of contracted duty should be eligible for the taxi squad.

as funny as it may sound, anyone who is first getting into dynasty IDP, I would recommend picking up one of the yearly NFL mags that come out such as Athlon or Lindy's. it won't offer much in terms of fantasy, but its a great starting point because it covers virtually every player for every team.

To get back to the original question, we have 64 active player rosters with 8 player Taxi Squads. Right now we have 10 teams but would like to expand to 12 next season.

This doesn't create the small amount of free agents that you might think as our positions include:

Head Coach

QB

RB

WR

TE

Team Offensive Line

PK

PN

DT

DE

LB

CB

S

Also, not all rosters are maxed out due to salary cap and contract year limitations, and some of the owners just don't take advantage of the ability to keep as much depth as they can.

We start 22 players weekly.

For our league qualification to the TS means having the players' annual salary below a certain threshold. Once a player is active, he may not move back to the TS.

Edited by FishyCommish

To get back to the original question, we have 64 active player rosters with 8 player Taxi Squads. Right now we have 10 teams but would like to expand to 12 next season.

This doesn't create the small amount of free agents that you might think as our positions include:

Head Coach

QB

RB

WR

TE

Team Offensive Line

PK

PN

DT

DE

LB

CB

S

We start 22 players weekly.

For our league qualification to the TS means having the players' annual salary below a certain threshold. Once a player is active, he may not move back to the TS.

That sounds interesting.

I'd like to know how you score coaches and O-line.... might want to get into that if you ever expand, never heard of anything like it.

I'm in an IDP where we have 45 man rosters and 15 man taxi(only 2 years)... we start a full 11 man defense and a combination of 7 offensive starters.

Another is 50 man rosters with 20 man taxi(3 years)... same line up requirements.

Both are 12 team leagues.

HC score is simply determined using the point differential from the game for the week. It's not a linear scale though.

Offensive line gets points for rushing and passing yards, offensive points, first downs, successful 3rd and 4th down conversions. Negative points for sacks allowed and failed 3rd down conversions.

Our league involves auction bidding on free agents, a unique rookie draft system, salary cap, IDP, an Restricted Free Agent system at the beginning of the offseason (with Franchise designation), expansion draft for new owners, graduated salary penalties for cutting players.

If you are interested let me know. Or if anyone else is. I'm the commissioner.

Edited by FishyCommish

okay, here it goes.......remember you asked for this, and i can't believe i'm replying at 1 am.......between paperwork......but i take my football seriously. I have played ff since 1996, yes you heard me right :wacko:...... dial up internet........and believe me, tough picking up players while your netzero (was a poor student at the time) drops your connection.

20 players........and became a dynasty league for 7 years or so now....10 team league

we start.....1 qb, 1 rb, 1wr, 1 te, 1 k, 4 idp.....yes idp............the other half of the game.

we also start 3 flex.......rb/wr

8 bench players.........

we keep 4 players at present..........max 3 per position...........may change to 2 pending league votes this year.....ie. this year i keep rodgers/jennings/charles.........and probably one of sidney rice or ryan torain......and somehow won my league last year in the last wk....

we also have to declare our keepers sometime before the draft.....and last year as commish , i made it too early....and didn't know the rb situation in houston at the time....i had slaton and had foster.........so decided not to keep either.......thus making a guaranteed season difficult....but somehow managed to win still.....

stats:

passing: 1 pt/ 30 yds, -3 per int, -3 fum lost, +2 per 2 pt conversion

rec/run: 1 pt/15 yds

kick: 1 pt /extra pt, +1 bonus for 50 plus fg, -1 for missed pat or missed fg under 30 yds

def: 1 pt solo tacke, 0.5 tackle assist, 2 pt/sack, 3 pts/ int, 2 pt/ff, 3 pt/fum rec, 4 pts i think for safety and blocked punt/fg