[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys' Williams loses his girl, and the ring

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/07/06/11...2&GT1=39002

DALLAS — Cowboys fans have seen a few airmailed footballs slip through Roy Williams’ fingers the last three seasons.

Now it seems the receiver has let a $76,600 engagement ring that he mailed slip through his grasp — and he wants it back.

According to a lawsuit filed last week, Williams mailed the ring along with a recorded wedding proposal to Brooke Daniels, a former Miss Texas USA.

When Daniels turned down his proposal, Williams wanted his ring back. Just ship it back, hopefully with postal insurance, right?

No problem, except that six weeks after sending her the ring, Williams said in affidavits that Daniels said she lost the ring.

Williams reported the loss to his insurance agency, which investigated and found that the ring was in the possession of Daniels’ father, Michael Daniels.

Michael Daniels told the Odessa American that Williams said he didn’t want the ring back.

“He said (to Brooke Daniels), ‘I’m not like a lot of people, I don’t want the ring back. You’ll eventually come back to me,’ ” Michael Daniels told the newspaper. “And she didn’t.”

Williams, who declined comment, was a prep football star at Odessa’s Permian High, the football-obsessed school and community chronicled in the novel and movie “Friday Night Lights.”

Daniels is from Tomball, near Houston. In addition to winning Miss Texas USA in 2009, she was also named Miss Photogenic during the contest. She placed in the Top 10 in the Miss USA pageant that year, the same pageant that sparked controversy when Miss California’s Carrie Prejean, the runner-up, said she lost the title because of her response to a question on gay marriage.

The elder Daniels said neither he nor his daughter said the ring was lost and that he would return it to avoid a lawsuit.

Under Texas law, engagement rings fall under the “conditional gift rule” which requires the person who accepted the ring to return it if they broke off the engagement. If the person who gave the ring broke it off, they give up any claims to the ring.

Since there was never an actual engagement, the legal claims might prove a little hazy — and what a star-studded courtroom that would be if the disagreement ever got that far. It has all the elements of a juicy novel or a TV movie.

A football star, a beauty queen and $76,600 diamond ring — no place but Texas.

He mailed it? Why didn't he propose during halftime of a basketball game like every other loser?

and.

Why didn't he just send out a UPS call tag to have it shipped back to him.

Edited by MikesVikes

Googled her. Nice.

I don't know anything about Texas law, but my money is going to be on the hot white girl as opposed to the black bust who looks to be getting shipped out of Dallas. If he was going to remain a starter there maybe he has a shot, but not now.

I kid because I care.

I'm curious how well he knew this girl. Were they a couple, or was this some weird stalkerish kind of behaviour? Did he way overstep his bounds or was her reaction unreasonable? Did she know this proposal was coming, or at least have reason to anticipate it, or was it about as anticipated as a proposal from me might have been?

Weird story.

What kind of fricken tool proposes by mail? :wacko:

This. Among the more socially retarded things I've heard. Followed up by, "could you drop the ring in the mail?" OK, maybe if you're a soldier or something and you're stuck overseas. Something like that, I suppose. However, I would think that someone would only do even that if they were 100% certain that the answer was going to be yes.

OK, a few things. I understand that some proposals get turned down, for obvious reasons. And, I also suppose that, in some cases, unlike "I'm not ready yet", that could result in breaking up the relationship. As in, the two people obviously have much different goals. One wants to settle down and have a family, the other doesn't. Something like that. Mind you, I'd hope if that was the case, you'd suss that out before you popped the question, but whatever.

However, would a spurned proposal be so bad that you couldn't actually go see the girl and get the ring back? I mean, I'd like to think that you'd still at least be on friendly terms if you were far enough along in your relationship that one of you actually thought about marriage. Then again, that assumes that you're not so much of a Showtime Rotisserie that you propose by mail.