[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SLEEPERS

Crazysight

This is my short list of what I consider to be potential sleepers for this coming season, although I will probably add to it before long. I'll just concentrate on my top wideout sleepers for now, as the RB sleepers I have in mind are more of a stretch. Keep in mind that I am in a deep dynasty league so what is/isn't considered a sleeper should vary depending on what type of league you're in.

I'll start off with 3 receivers who all have traits that I can't resist pursuing. They are all young, tall, fast and athletic. In all 3 cases they at one point in time were considered to have great potential, but injuries have thus far affected their careers.

Danario Alexander

Chaz Schilens

Brian Robiskie

Of the 3 I like DX the best, as he was a real stud in college prior to his serious knee injury. Robiskie was too, though DX at full health is bigger and faster than Robiskie. DX is also however the biggest injury concern, having to undergo several surgical procedures just to get him back to where he currently is. He is also in the best passing offense IMO.

Edited by Crazysight

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, mid-season they cleaned him up after playing a few games.

I am not a doctor, but everything I read about his knees are severely negative.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Those knees are shot.

And once you've had 900 knee surgeries, even a clean up is a big deal.

I picked him up last year and traded him as soon as I could. Good story, glad he made it to the NFL, but I don't see a productive career as a key player.

Well we'll see at any rate. He is only 22 years old, so if his knee isn't completely shot his youthful regenerative ability may just be able to get him back. He did have the cleanup but was still able to come back and have himself a nice 6 reception, 99 yard receiving effort against the niners at the end of the season. He is high risk, but a very high ceiling if he ever does pull the comeback off.

Edited by Crazysight

Schilens I will add may be cut before the season even begins at this point if he doesn't show something. Though I would cut Heyward-Bay first, I doubt the raiders would drop him now just because they won't want to lose even more face than they already have over that pathetic selection..

I guess this is where we differ. I think his ceiling is low. It's not if his knee will fail him, but when. And I think it happens early on. Even at 22, he has the knee of Javon Walker.

You may well be right, I'm not saying you aren't, but the rams organization have been approaching it correctly from the beginning by being cautious with him, only slowly adding workload as he tolerates it.

You may well be right, I'm not saying you aren't, but the rams organization have been approaching it correctly from the beginning by being cautious with him, only slowly adding workload as he tolerates it.

IIRC, he wasn't drafted by the Rams but signed after the draft. This tells alot about his knee because he was GREAT on college.

Differing reports on him as of right now. Bradford has said he looks much faster in their workouts and more explosive than last year. DX has been stating that his knee is doing much better. Then there's the report from 101 ESPN St. Louis' Tony Softli, who claims DX has been dragging "that leg" in practice. To that DX reportedly tweeted: "Line em up!! I'm ready!!! By the way nothings "dragging" over here"

Even if the knee issues never goes away and inevitably do shorten his career, if he should start the year off strongly he could still at the very least still be a "sell high" type candidate.

Edited by Crazysight

Differing reports on him as of right now. Bradford has said he looks a lot better in their workouts and more explosive than last year. DX has been stating that his knee is doing a much better. Then there's the report from 101 ESPN St. Louis' Tony Softli, who claims DX has been dragging "that leg" in practice. To that DX reportedly tweeted: "Line em up!! I'm ready!!! By the way nothings "dragging" over here"

Even if the knee issues never goes away and inevitably do shorten his career, if he should start the year off strongly he could still at the very least still be a "sell high" type candidate.

If I were DX and my knee was a hamburger, i'd tell reporters my knee is fine too.

You're welcome. I'm hoping to make it 2 years in a row with the preseason sleeper picks on my team. Last year I held BGE from the prior year (actually held him for 2 straight seasons I believe) and then drafted Peyton hillis in the 4th round of our rookie/free agent draft (preinjury to Hardesty). They both worked out pretty well for me.

This is basically going down my DTS list, so don't laugh for pimping my own players. I just have a habit of snatching up WRs with potential during the season, especially if I can stash them on my DTS.

I picked up DX last year. He's got plenty of opportunity, a great QB and all the ability to make him a great player. Perfect sleeper material IMO if he can just keep healthy. Also like Ajirotutu for the same reasons. Another super deep sleeper with injury concerns is Victor Cruz. He looked really good in preseason last year before coming up lame with a hamstring injury. He's also been spending time with the QBs in the off season trying to come back up to speed. With the current flux of the WR position in NY, I think there could be an opening for him.

A few others, but very limited with their QB situations:

Armanti Edwards

David Gettis

Leonard Hankerson

You're welcome. I'm hoping to make it 2 years in a row with the preseason sleeper picks on my team. Last year I held BGE from the prior year (actually held him for 2 straight seasons I believe) and then drafted Peyton hillis in the 4th round of our rookie/free agent draft (preinjury to Hardesty). They both worked out pretty well for me.

[Muto]That's my boy!![/Muto]

Another couple I'll add: Jermichael Finley (regardless of whether TEs are mandatory) and Montario Hardesty.

:wacko::tup::lol:

How on earth is J.Finley a sleeper and Hardesty is way too talented to be considered one.

Here...I'll help you out on this. I'll give you one and only one sleeper cause I like to see others do their own homework. Ready? Pay attention cause this a true sleeper: Andre Roberts

There ya go. Don't say I didn't help ya.

:wacko::tup::lol:

How on earth is J.Finley a sleeper and Hardesty is way too talented to be considered one.

Here...I'll help you out on this. I'll give you one and only one sleeper cause I like to see others do their own homework. Ready? Pay attention cause this a true sleeper: Andre Roberts

There ya go. Don't say I didn't help ya.

Well to answer your question, sleepers are supposed to actually have a decent chance to perform well in fantasy leagues. Now I'll throw it back on you, how exactly is Roberts supposed to be a true sleeper, ie somebody one might expect to do well fantasy wise? A rookie, only 5'11, drafted by THE CARDINALS, good speed though short of blazing, does seem to be pretty well polished for a rookie though. In a productive offense led by a competent QB I could see a guy like that doing well, but its hard for me to believe he's got any chance at ever competing on my fantasy team with the likes of D Bowe. Lloyd, gates, etc unless something radically changes about the whole of the Cardinals offense this year.

Finley IS a potential sleeper in a league like mine, which is NOT a tight end mandatory league, and so tight ends are often times overlooked unless they have the potential to perform on a par close to that of a top WR. He also missed most of last year due to an injury, as you know I'm sure. Hardesty is talented and well known, but he's playing behind Hillis, and so is apt to be overlooked or undervalued, especially considering Hilliis injury and fumbling concerns, that he is coming off of a torn acl, that Cleveland has an underrated offensive line that is one of the best in the league and an offense led by a second year QB who showed flashes last year and that will likely only get more productive.

Edited by Crazysight

To put that in a different light, consider that Larry Fitzgerald, one of the best wideouts in the league and future HOFer, played in every single game last year, yet only managed to finish 11th among wide receivers in my league last year due to the pathetic cardinals offense. Things could change if a significant upgrade happens at QB for the Cards, but until that time the ceiling for any player in that offense is pretty limited.

Edited by Crazysight

Well to answer your question, sleepers are supposed to actually have a decent chance to perform well in fantasy leagues. Now I'll throw it back on you, how exactly is Roberts supposed to be a true sleeper, ie somebody one might expect to do well fantasy wise? A rookie, only 5'11, drafted by THE CARDINALS, good speed though short of blazing, does seem to be pretty well polished for a rookie though. In a productive offense led by a competent QB I could see a guy like that doing well, but its hard for me to believe he's got any chance at ever competing on my fantasy team with the likes of D Bowe. Lloyd, gates, etc unless something radically changes about the whole of the Cardinals offense this year.

Roberts is not a rookie.

Marvin Harrison was 5'-11' with good but short of blazing speed

If WRs have to compete with Bowe and Lloyd to be worthy of rostering in your league, I can only assume you play in a start-1 WR league where TEs are considered as WRS. You might want to venture out and try a bit more challenging leagues.

I guess we all have a different definition of what a sleeper is ,, so I will give you mine.

Sleeper = not expected to be drafted at his position until after your # 1 & back up has been drafted

For RB's in a league where you are required to start 1 you would expect a sleeper not to be taken by a team until after all teams have their RB1 & RB2

For WR's in a league where you are required to start 2 you would expect a sleeper not to be taken by a team until after all teams have their

WR1

WR2

WR3

Sleeper