[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Number of playoff teams in your league

i_am_the_swammi

In our 16-teamer, we are in the midst of deciding how many teams should make the playoffs. some interesting arguments being made for a variety of options.

Got me thinking what might be the most common way to do it for 16 teams? 12 teams?

In our 16 team league, we have four divisions. Each division winner gets in, plus two wild-cards.

In my 12-teamer, 4 teams make it: two division winners, next two best records.

What say you?

In general, the "fairest" way to determine who should play in the play-offs is to have as few divisions as possible. Leagues that rely on attendance and fan interest realize that rivalries and such are also important and are prepared to sacrifice that "fairness" for the sake of generating regional and/or traditional battles.

The same does not likely apply to fantasy teams where I know I'd be pissed if some dude with a crappy record who happens to be fighting it out against the 3 other worst teams in the league got in ahead of me despite having a worse record. Mind you, I'd be pissed if I was a team that whomever the NFC West sent in at 8-8 got in ahead of me, but at least I'd realize there's a financial reason for the divisions.

In other words, I don't see much of a reason for even having divisions in FF at all. Provided, of course, there's few enough teams that everyone gets to play everyone at least once.

Were I to do a 16 team league, I'd schedule one double header (or 2 if you want to avoid week 17 final), so that everyone got to play everyone. Put everyone in one large division and take the top 6 teams, 1 and 2 getting a first week bye.

With 12, I'd play through week 14, with each team playing 3 of the teams 2x, and then take the top 4 in a two week play-off.

If you also have a prize for division winners/best regular season record, then I am all for having a couple extra teams make playoffs, say 6 in a 12 teamer and 6 or even 8 in a 16 teamer.

No regular season prize then I prefer less teams make it in so those that showed they had the better team over the course of the season have the better shot at prize money, not just the team that gets hot at just the right time.

I also like having a "toilet bowl" bracket to keep more teams active throughout.

So, if you have a 12 teamer, top 6 teams go into the playoffs, bottom 6 go into the toilet bowl where there is a prize for the winner of that bracket, be it cash or the #1 pick in a keeper league, etc.

Lots of options to keep it competitive and keep more teams pushing with a reason to play to win every week.

This may sound kinda screwey to you right off the bat...

But with a 16 team league you can play double (or triple headers) headers every week.

During the first 15 weeks you would have played EVERY team twice (or three times).

Best two teams make the Superbowl and play week 16.

If the league is well balanced the last two weeks will be more exciting than any playoff game woulda been.

It may even come down to a tie breaker for a spot in the SuperBowl.

(That makes triples neat because there is a 2 out of 3 for head to head)

Think it through before casting the idea away as too radical.

Multiple games in a single week for your team expands what you watch on game days!

I prefer fewer playoff teams than most, like 4 teams and rarely more, just for the purpose of making the regular season matter. I'd rather keep things alive for the non-playoff teams with weekly prizes and/or a toilet bowl than have half (or more) of the league make the playoffs.

for 12 teams, a good setup is 3 divisions, 14 week regular season where you play your division-mates twice and all other teams once, then the 3 division winners and one wild-card make the two-week playoff.

If you also have a prize for division winners/best regular season record, then I am all for having a couple extra teams make playoffs, say 6 in a 12 teamer and 6 or even 8 in a 16 teamer.

No regular season prize then I prefer less teams make it in so those that showed they had the better team over the course of the season have the better shot at prize money, not just the team that gets hot at just the right time.

Agreed.

In our 16-teamer, our current system has prizes for the top four finishers. It guarantees the top two seeds get a prize, since they get a bye in Week 13.

2.1 League Format

2.1.1) The PSDL will consist of a single league of fourteen (14) teams.

2.1.2) The league will be comprised of two (2) divisions of seven (7) teams each.

2.2 League Calendar

1) The PSDL season shall be defined as the Tuesday before the first scheduled NFL game of the NFL season,

and run through week 16 of the NFL season.

a) From weeks 1 season to week 13 of the NFL, each FSDL team plays all other teams once.

:wacko: The PSDL playoffs will be conducted from Weeks 14 through NFL week 16 of the NFL season.

c) All teams will be in contention for the high single game prize from Weeks 1 through Week 16.

2) The PSDL league office will be closed and the league inactive from week 17 of the NFL regular season

until 7 days after the completion of the Super bowl.

3) ThePSDLoff-season is defined as the second Monday after the completion of the Super bowl until the Tuesday prior to the first schedule NFL game of the next season.

4) In event that any of the schedule events above are cancelled, the commissioner reserves the right to make the appropriate ruling(s) to insure the continued existence of the PSDL.

2.3 Playoff Format

1) Six teams total will qualify for the playoffs.

a) The team within each division with the most victory points upon the completion of the regular season will be declared the regular season division champion, and receive a bye in the first round of the playoffs.

:tup: The two non-division champions with the most victory points within each division will also qualify for

the playoffs.

c) The final two teams to qualify for the playoffs will be the top two remaining team with the most victory points, regardless of their division placement.

2) The division winners will receive the top two seeds, with the team with the most victory points receiving

the top seed. The four remaining teams qualifying for the playoffs will be seed according the their victory point total.

2.4 Playoff Schedule

Week 14: #3 vs #6; #4 vs #5 Byes: #1 and #2

Week 15: #1 vs lowest winning seed from week 14; #2 vs remaining week 14 winner

Week #16: two winning teams from week 15

I run a 10-team league so maybe my input isn't helpful. We have two 5-team divisions. 6 teams make the playoffs--the 2 division champs and the next 4 teams with the best records. So one entire division can make the playoffs, although it's never happened. The 2 division champs have 1st-rd byes while teams 3-6 play each other in Wk 14. Then semifinals in Wk 15 and then the Super Bowl in Wk 16. It's perfect.

Instead of a "toilet bowl" to keep things interesting for non-playoff teams, I utilize a $25 weekly payout to the team with the high score each weekend. For our 13-week regular season, that's $325 up for grabs. Works well. Money talks.

In general, the "fairest" way to determine who should play in the play-offs is to have as few divisions as possible. Leagues that rely on attendance and fan interest realize that rivalries and such are also important and are prepared to sacrifice that "fairness" for the sake of generating regional and/or traditional battles.

The same does not likely apply to fantasy teams where I know I'd be pissed if some dude with a crappy record who happens to be fighting it out against the 3 other worst teams in the league got in ahead of me despite having a worse record. Mind you, I'd be pissed if I was a team that whomever the NFC West sent in at 8-8 got in ahead of me, but at least I'd realize there's a financial reason for the divisions.

In other words, I don't see much of a reason for even having divisions in FF at all. Provided, of course, there's few enough teams that everyone gets to play everyone at least once.

Were I to do a 16 team league, I'd schedule one double header (or 2 if you want to avoid week 17 final), so that everyone got to play everyone. Put everyone in one large division and take the top 6 teams, 1 and 2 getting a first week bye.With 12, I'd play through week 14, with each team playing 3 of the teams 2x, and then take the top 4 in a two week play-off.

This. Playing every other team is the key to me. Equalize the playing field. And no divisions. Then, and in my opinion only then, do teams #1 and #2 deserve a bye. Otherwise an 8 team playoff is best. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by The Hitter

This may sound kinda screwey to you right off the bat...

But with a 16 team league you can play double (or triple headers) headers every week.

During the first 15 weeks you would have played EVERY team twice (or three times).

Best two teams make the Superbowl and play week 16.

If the league is well balanced the last two weeks will be more exciting than any playoff game woulda been.

It may even come down to a tie breaker for a spot in the SuperBowl.

(That makes triples neat because there is a 2 out of 3 for head to head)

Think it through before casting the idea away as too radical.

Multiple games in a single week for your team expands what you watch on game days!

Great idea! I'd love this format.