[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Owners ratify settlement

DMD

Wow, you guys hate the players so much that it's difficult to imagine you going out of your skull should one of them make a SPECTACULAR play for the team you favor, once things start back up.

I'm pretty sure that'll happen though.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opinions based upon substantial expertise in a field that one has worked in for decades weigh a lot more than those of someone who discounts that experience completely on a FF MB.

IMO, of course.

In fairness such negotiations are not central to what I do. I still spend most of my time in court. I just spent the last three days in court representing the Department's interests in discovery matters being addressed in a unified appeal in a capital case. Court is still what I do mostly.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Wow, you guys hate the players so much that it's difficult to imagine you going out of your skull should one of them make a SPECTACULAR play for the team you favor, once things start back up.

I'm pretty sure that'll happen though.

:wacko:

So you can't distinguish between the business and the entertainment sides?

In fairness such negotiations are not central to what I do. I still spend most of my time in court. I just spent the last three days in court representing the Department's interests in discovery matters being addressed in a unified appeal in a capital case. Court is still what I do mostly.

I also know for a fact that your time as a DA has involved substantial negotiations in an effort to avoid spending taxpayer money in the courts while still trying to advance justice and/or taxpayer rights, dependent on what kind of case you were dealing with. That doesn't preclude other negotiations in which you have been an important player.

Humility is noteworthy, but also downplays the extent of your capability, knowledge, and experience.

This whole matter fascinates me. As I understand it the players left negotiations with an eye towards perhaps ratifying the agreement even before the owners. They had in their possession something to ratify.

The players decided to study the deal and to not act on Wednesday. The fact that they were studying the deal means they had something to study.

The players choose not to act, understanding that the owners were scheduled to meet and vote on the matter Thursday.

The Owners showed surprising unity on Thursday. The speculation that small market teams might sgtand opposed in some numbers, if not enough to derail matters proved unfounded.

Upon announcing the vote, a vote at which the players had no representation, the players instantly Knew, or so they maintain, that the vote was not on the document they had approved in principal enough to suspend negoatiations and call both sides together for a vote. How they could know this is beyong my comprehension, particularly since they maintained quite publically that the owners had not sent them what they themselves already had upon suspending the negoatiations, elseways how would they have had anything to study or to take under consideration.

Assuming that the owners did alter language or terms and vote on something completely unagreed to i fail to see why the players did not come together and vote on the actual proposal. It seems to me that had they done so they would have put themselves in a unique position in front of the courts to argue the owners bad faith and their own good faith. They could easily have presented both documents, along with forensic computer analysis to show when the documents were drafted, as well as the testimony of many of their player reps in the room at the end of the last negotiation.Instead they ran with a cock and bull story. They compounded that b.s. with the line that they have so much respect for the dead wife of an owner that they could not do business. Does anybody really buy their respect for the owner, or the owner's dead wife, given their conduct and statements pertaining to ownership?

I think it is time for an explanation from the players, or from those who doubt the owners, as to how this could concievably, even in imagining, have gone down as the players alleged. It just doesn't add up to me, but perhaps I am missing something. What am I missing?

I think it is time for an explanation from the players, or from those who doubt the owners, as to how this could concievably, even in imagining, have gone down as the players alleged. It just doesn't add up to me, but perhaps I am missing something. What am I missing?

Smell test on players' story:

EPIC FAIL

Really, really unfortunate that this would be their position given where it appears how far the negotiations/agreement have gotten at this point. The only possible conclusion is that the players had been negotiating and then agreeing on a contract that they had no intention of approving in the first place, otherwise as you stated so clearly they would have produced both documents and pointed out the change in language which would be well documented and undeniable at this time.

Edited by Bronco Billy

They compounded that b.s. with the line that they have so much respect for the dead wife of an owner that they could not do business. Does anybody really buy their respect for the owner, or the owner's dead wife, given their conduct and statements pertaining to ownership?

That's not true. The players merely said that they would not be making any more statements yesterday "out of respect", and with De Smith attending the funeral, obviously had something to do with them not being able to get much progress done yesterday... That in no way shape or form implies that they are using Myra Kraft's death for anything, or that they were claiming to stop working for it.

Not to defend the players too much, and I'm really not sure what their prerogative is here, but let's not get caught up in a Bronco Billy overdramatization to try to demonize them over something that didn't happen. That's running what what little we know and inventing stories to prove a point.

It seems important to you to make the epistemological point. Having made it do you now care to share with us what you actually think. Are you in any way buying the b.s. the players are selling? Can you tell us how their position, a position I notice they are now backing away from as they reposition their argument, makes any sense?

I'd rather just hang off your nutsack, if you don't mind, a la Bronco Billy.

Act 1: Tuesday last , Negotiating table

Scene 1: A conference room in a large hotel. The room is split in half by an acrylic wall. On one side sit the owners, their lawyers, and Goodell and staff in plush chairs made from the bones of ex-players and uphostered with the dreams of blue collar fans. The air is smoke-filled from cuban cigars. The table is resplendant with suckling baby being served. On the other side, sitting on gym equipment salvaged from T.O's driveway are the player reps with phones set on insta-tweet. They are accompanied by their lawyers from Dewey Cheatem & Howe and their accountants from Reilly, Bigg, Grubbers, O'Cash. DeMaurice is resplendant covered only in oil,wielding a sword of justice, and with one foot resting on a footstool that appears to be Drew Rosenhaus.

Roger G: Well DeMaurice, I have heard you speak with the depompitious of love, and I have heard your righteous concerns.

Footstool: You better believe they are righteous.

DeMaurice: Shut up drewstool. Now Rog, do your guys agree in principal to the terms we have written out long hand on that yellow legal Pad?

Roger G: Of course Dee.

DeMaurice: And do you agree to the supplimental clauses written on the bar napkin from the stip club the other night?

Roger G: Which night?

Demaurice: Amateur night at that place with the Thai chick.

Roger G: Oh yeah baby!

DeMaurice: And to the clause on the back of Cy's laundry ticket?

Roger G: That too good buddy.

DeMaurice: Well then put them all together with the laundry ticket inserted for page three, and with the napkin for page 117 and we have a deal.

Roger G: Will do Dee: Say, does any body have an envelope, I don't want to lose any of this stuff before my sexretary can type it all up on her IBM Selectric. This is the only copy we have.

DeMaurice: Yeah, and don't loose Cy's laundry slip. He needs it to pick of his jacket and to expense the cost of dry cleaning out that stripper perfume from the other night. High priced accountants hate it when you lose their dry cleaning tickets or parking vouchers. They just love documenting expense reports.

Heath Evans and Vonnie (simultaneously): We can't find an envelope, but here's a Micky D's bag. The floor around Mankin's leg press machine is full of them.

Vincent Jackson: What about my two fitty? I want my two fitty.

Everybody but the footstool: Shut up bitch!

Demaurice: We will call together our coven this wednesday for a vote on the document we do not have, Saturday at the latest, unless Kraft's wife dies and then it will be sometime when our manhood has been reasserted.

Roger G: And we shall have the klavern convene on Thor's day to the same holy purpose. Let us solemnize the agreement in the traditional way.

Scene 2: Whereupon all file one by one from the room, each debasing Drew Rosenhaus in the way customary to their people either through annointing his head with urine or through dick slapping his face.

Cut to exterior of the negotiating room in an internal hallway of the building. Demaurice approaches Mort, Clayton, and sad little Adam self abusing to pass the time while viewing a picture of his phone, on his phone. All three scamper forward to see who can be the first to attach their lips to Demaurice's manroot of truth.

DeMaurice: Go forth and proclaim the truth. We shall have a vote of the coven on approving the document I now hold in my hand. The vote shall occur Wednesday, or there abouts. Ring forth the good news, I have saved football.

Heath Evans: For the Real fans.

All present: Damn Skippy!

All present except Vincent Jackson: Shut up Vince

Cy from Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe (who is different from Cy from Reily Bigg Grubbers O'Cash): But you have no document.

Demaurice: Question not my ways or you will become an ottoman to match my Rosenhaus foot stool.

Scene 3: NFL offices. Wall-papered in c-notes.

Roger G: Come here Toots. Take off that Erin Andrews mask and type up this agreement. Be sure to toss out the laundry ticket and the napkin and insert the super secret player degrading clauses instead. Muuwwahhhhaha!

Jeff Pash: Yes Master!

Act 2: Same negotiating room. The players equipment has been removed as has the pile of McDonalds bags from Logan Mankins area. Jerry Jones is SHAM WOW!-faced drunk and crapping on a Jimmy Johnson poster. Al Davis is seated upright in a black box with wheels. The front face of his box has three lights, none currently on.

Scene 1:

Roger G (Resplendant in white robe and pointy cap): I call this meeting of the klavern to order. I announce we have completely altered the proposal as previously discussed. Let's pass this sucker and then we will own their very souls. They will be our slaves through eternity.

All but Al Davis: Aye!

Al Davis: A light flashes furiously on the front of his box while his ear falls rotting from his head and fluid collects on the floor around his conveyance.

Roger G: The vote is 31 to Al. Send forth the Word!

Scene 2: Inside the coven cave Heath Evans rematerializes having teleported through several dimensions back from his spy mission at the owners klavern.

Heath: It is just as we have forseen. Us having not voted this Wednesday on what we have not had, they went ahead and screwed us by voting on the prearranged schedule. Those sneaky bastards! Who knew they would keep to the negotiated plan.

Logan Mankins: They screw you at the drive through!

All, including Vincent Jackson: Shut up!

Demaurice: Call forth the psycophants. We must announce the perfidy of the League in voting before us on that which we never had, but were going to vote on after explaining the contents we never had to the players. How dare they vote before us after allowing us an opportunity to vote first. Quick, someone, mix the Kool Aid, fire up your twitter accounts! This means war.

Act 3. Bristol Conneticutt. ESPN Offices

Scene 1:

Herm Edwards: Hey look everybody. Someone has delivered this delicious purple drink to our set and it tastes just like Koolaid. Drink up!

Everybody: Shut up Vincent Jackson!

Herm Edwards: I'm not Jackson!

Everybody but Tom Jackson: Well you're black and are far too loud. Are you Steven A. Smith?

Herm: No!

Everybody but Chris Berman who is trying to motorboat Suzy Kolbers perky A's: Well then you are Keyshawn or Michael Irving.

Herm: Go Ginsu yourselves!

Scene 2: Prebroadcast production meeting

Assistants: But this story makes absolutely no sense. How could the players have been getting explanations on, and be preparing to vote on, a document they never had. Also, how could they know that the owners had changed the terms if they never had the document and had not yet recieved the owner's copy ?

Herm: Shut up Stat boy. God, you are as annoying as Vincent Jackson.

Scene 3. Set of Sportscenter

Herm: We bring you now the players koolaid. Lets cut to Mort.

Mort: Tastes good, this cool purple beverage. Over to you John.

John Clayton, (shaking Adam Scheffter off of his leg). Very refreshing Mort. Now over to you Adam

Scheffter: I gots a phone! Real fans know what me and Heath Evans are saying. Word to those who are into planking, this years Icing of Bros.

Scene 4: A "Real Fan" drinking a beer and with no koolaid in his house is watching Sports Center

Real Fan: Damn I hope its Suzy, Erin, Rachel, or Sage on tonight. I need to rub one out.

TV: (Herm is pouring koolaid)

Real Fan: That makes no G.D. sense

TV: Drink up

Real Fan: I see.

The curtain drops and the rest of us who have not had any of the purple drink go home thirsty.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

That's not true. The players merely said that they would not be making any more statements yesterday "out of respect", and with De Smith attending the funeral, obviously had something to do with them not being able to get much progress done yesterday... That in no way shape or form implies that they are using Myra Kraft's death for anything, or that they were claiming to stop working for it.

Not to defend the players too much, and I'm really not sure what their prerogative is here, but let's not get caught up in a Bronco Billy overdramatization to try to demonize them over something that didn't happen. That's running what what little we know and inventing stories to prove a point.

So the union didn't make statements about Myra Kraft, or is it that you believe that all the players are in such deep grief that they can't manage to get together today or tomorrow and work through this? Instead, you swallow their poorly created fairy tale right down to the root. How exactly does their meeting dishonor her, again?

Oooh. I think I just excited myself... :blush:

Edited by Bronco Billy

So the union didn't make statements about Myra Kraft, or is it that you believe that all the players are in such deep grief that they can't manage to get together today or tomorrow and work through this? Instead, you swallow their poorly created fairy tale right down to the root. How exactly does their meeting dishonor her, again?

Oooh. I think I just excited myself... :blush:

Where did they say that they weren't still reading, meeting and discussing or even still voting on the proposal? There's even still talk that they could come to a vote this weekend... You're seriously making a mountain out of a mole hill. Here is what was said, and you can tell me if it sounds like they're planning on not working through the weekend:

“Player leadership is discussing the most recent written proposal with the NFL, which includes a settlement agreement, deal terms and the right process for addressing recertification,” Mawae said. “There will not be any further NFLPA statements today out of respect for the Kraft family while they mourn the loss of Myra Kraft.”

Now would you care to show me where there's any indication, other than De Smith attending the funeral, that says that they haven't been meeting or discussing this? I'm pretty sure you can't, because everything on my Rotoworld feed says that things are still continuing on, like Vincent Jackson deciding not to seek a settlement, and other necessary things like that... I don't know if they're being unreasonable or not in holding this up, but despite your reach in demonizing them for not making statements out of respect on the day of the woman's funeral, neither do you.

Act 1: Tuesday last , Negotiating table

Scene 1: A conference room in a large hotel. The room is split in half by an acrylic wall. On one side sit the owners, their lawyers, and Goodell and staff in plush chairs mad from the bones of ex-players and uphostered with the dreams of blue collar fans. The air is smoke-filled from cuban cigars. The table is resplendant with suckling baby being served. On the other side, sitting on gym equipment salvaged from T.O's driveway are the player reps with phones set on insta-tweet. They are accompanied by their lawyers from Dewey Cheatem & Howe and their accountants from Reilly, Bigg, Grubbers, O'Cash. DeMaurice is resplendant covered only in oil,wielding a sword of justice, and with one foot resting on a footstool that appears to be Drew Rosenhaus.

Roger G: Well DeMaurice, I have heard you speak with the depompitious of love, and I have heard your righteous concerns.

Footstool: You better believe they are righteous.

DeMaurice: Shut up drewstool. Now Rog, do your guys agree in principal to the terms we have written out long hand on that yellow legal Pad?

Roger G: Of course Dee.

DeMaurice: And do you agree to the supplimental clauses written on the bar napkin from the stip club the other night?

Roger G: Which night?

Demaurice: Amateur night at that place with the Thai chick.

Roger G: Oh yeah baby!

DeMaurice: And to the clause on the back of Cy's laundry ticket?

Roger G: That too good buddy.

DeMaurice: Well then put them all together with the laundry ticket inserted for page three, and with the napkin for page 117 and we have a deal.

Roger G: Will do Dee: Say, does any body have an envelope, I don't want to loose any of this stuff before my sexretary can type it all up on her IBM selectric. This is the only copy we have.

DeMaurice: Yeah, and don't loose Cy's laundry slip. He needs it to pick of his jacket and to expense the cost of dry cleaning out that stripper perfume from the other night.

Heath Evans and Vonnie (simultaneously): We can't find an envelope, but here's a Micky D's bag. The floor around Mankin's leg press is full of them.

Vincent Jackson: What about my two fitty? I want my two fitty.

Everybody but the footstool: Shut up bitch!

Demaurice: We will call together our coven for a vote on the document we do not have this Wednesday, Saturday at the latest, unless Kraft's wife dies and then it will be sometime when our manhood has been reasserted.

Roger G: And we shall have the klavern convene on Thor's day to the same holy purpose. Let us solemnize the agreement in the traditional way.

Scene 2: Whereupon all file one by one from the room, each debasing Drew Rosenhaus in the way customary to their people either through annointing his head with urine or through dick slapping his face.

Scene: Exterior from room in an internal hallway. Demaurice approaches Mort, Clayton, and sad little Adam self abusing to pass the time while viewing a picture of his phone on his phone. All three scamper forward to see who can be the first to attach their lips to Demaurice's manroot of truth.

DeMaurice: Go forth and proclaim the truth. We shall have a vote of the coven on approving the document I now hold in my hand. The vote shall occur Wednesday, or there abouts. Ring forth the good news, I have saved football.

Heath Evans: For the Real fans.

All present: Damn Skippy!

All present except Vincent Jackson: Shut up Vince

Cy from Dewey, Cheatem, & Howe: But you have no document.

Demaurice: Question not my ways or you will become an ottoman to match my Rosenhaus foot stool.

Scene 3: NFL offices. Wall-papered in c-notes.

Roger G: Come here Toots. Take off that Erin Andrews mask and type up this agreement. Be sure to toss out the laundry ticket and the napkin and insert the super secret player degrading clauses instead. Muuwwahhhhaha!

Act 2: Same negotiating room. The players equipment has been removed as has the pile of McDonalds bags from Logan Mankins area. Jerry Jones is SHAM WOW!-faced drunk and crapping on a Jimmy Johnson poster. Al Davis is seated upright in a black box with wheels. The front face of his box has three lights, none currently on.

Scene 1:

Roger G (Resplendant in white robe and pointy cap): I call this meeting of the klavern to order. I announce we have completely altered the proposal as previously discussed. Let's pass this sucker and then we will own their very souls. They will be our slaves through eternity.

All but Al Davis: Aye!

Al Davis: A light flashes furiously on the fromt of his box while his ear falls rotting from his head and fluid collects on the flour around his conveyance.

Roger G: The vote is 31 to Al. Send forth the Word!

Scene 2: Inside the coven cave Heath Evans rematerializes having teleported through several dimensions back from his spy mission at the owners klavern.

Heath: It is just as we have forseen. Having not voted on what we have not had they went ahead and screwed us.

Logan Mankins: They screw you at the drive through!

All, including Vincent Jackson: Shut up!

Demaurice: Call forth the psycophants. We must announce the perfidy of the League in voting before us on that which we never had, but were going to vote on after explaining the contents we never had to the players. How dare they vote before us after allowing us an opportunity to vote first. Quick, someone, mix the Kool Aid, fire up your twitter accounts! This means war.

Act 3. Bristol Conneticutt. ESPN Offices

Scene 1:

Herm Edwards: Hey look everybody. Someone has delivered this delicious purple drink to our set and it tastes just like Koolaid. Drink up!

Everybody: Shut up Vincent Jackson!

Herm Edwards: I'm not Jackson!

Everybody but Tom Jackson: Well you're black and are far too loud. Are you Steven A. Smith?

Herm: No!

Everybody but Chris Berman who is trying to motorboat Suzy Kolbers perky A's: Well then you are Keyshawn or Michael irving.

Herm: Go Ginsu yourselves!

Scene 2: Prebroadcst production meeting

Assistants: But this story makes absolutely no sense. How could the players have been getting explanations on, and be preparing to vote on, a document they never had. Also, how could they know that the owners had changed the terms if they never had the document and had not yet recieved the owner's copy ?

Herm: Shut up Stat boy. God, you are as annoying as Vincent Jackson.

Scene 3. Set of Sportscenter

Herm: We bring you now the players koolaid. Lets cut to Mort.

Mort: Tastes good, this cool purple beverage. Over to you John.

John Clayton, (shaking Adam Scheffter off of his leg). Very refreshing Mort. Now over to you Adam

Scheffter: I gots a phone! Real fans know what me and Heath Evans are saying. Word to those who are into planking, this years Icing of Bros.

Scene 4: A "Real Fan" drinking a beer and with no koolaid in his house is watching Sports Center

Real Fan: Damn I hope its Suzy, Erin, Rachel, or Sage on tonight. I need to rub one out.

TV: (Herm is pouring koolaid)

Real Fan: That makes no G.D. sense

TV: Drink up

Real Fan: I see.

The curtain drops and the rest of us who have not had any of the purple drink go home thirsty.

The best piece of literature here since beer30's welcome to newbies.

Where did they say that they weren't still reading, meeting and discussing or even still voting on the proposal? There's even still talk that they could come to a vote this weekend... You're seriously making a mountain out of a mole hill. Here is what was said, and you can tell me if it sounds like they're planning on not working through the weekend:

“Player leadership is discussing the most recent written proposal with the NFL, which includes a settlement agreement, deal terms and the right process for addressing recertification,” Mawae said. “There will not be any further NFLPA statements today out of respect for the Kraft family while they mourn the loss of Myra Kraft.”

Now would you care to show me where there's any indication, other than De Smith attending the funeral, that says that they haven't been meeting or discussing this? I'm pretty sure you can't, because everything on my Rotoworld feed says that things are still continuing on, like Vincent Jackson deciding not to seek a settlement, and other necessary things like that... I don't know if they're being unreasonable or not in holding this up, but despite your reach in demonizing them for not making statements out of respect on the day of the woman's funeral, neither do you.

How's that purple drank, GB?

link

No clear timeline for labor deal as players vet owners' proposal

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network

NFL Network Insider

Published: July 22, 2011 at 11:28 a.m. Updated: July 22, 2011 at 11:38 p.m.

NFL Players Association lawyers and officials are digesting the league's proposal for a new collective bargaining agreement, but there are several concerns regarding language and other matters the players consider unresolved, numerous sources with direct knowledge of the situation said Friday.

Conversations with player representatives and NFLPA officials revealed no sense that a vote on ratification was imminent, instead indicating that more time will be necessary to reach an agreement on the deal approved by owners Thursday.

Some player reps have advised their teammates that it could take several days to reach a point where the NFLPA is comfortable agreeing to terms with the league and beginning the union recertification process. Of course, that could change if major gains are made in negotiations.

Back to work for front-office execs More than 100 executives and GMs, such as Kansas City's Scott Pioli, attended a four-hour tutorial Friday in Atlanta, addressing everything ranging from new salary-cap rules to free agency. More ...

Meanwhile, over 100 team executives and general managers gathered Friday in Atlanta, where they were briefed on the rules for the upcoming league year. Officials were advised that team facilities will not be open to players Saturday, as was part of the proposal made to players.

"We were told that the lockout was still in place; that's the way we handle it," said John Elway, the Denver Broncos' executive vice president of football operations. "We're just waiting."

Indeed, the language and league-year dates in the owners' proposal were "contingent upon ratification of the agreement by the players prior to these dates."

According to one player rep, the NFLPA sent an email saying the next plan was to talk Monday. However, NFLPA spokesman George Atallah denied that such an email was delivered.

"There is no timetable for any conference call," said Atallah, who explained the players are going over the documents and lawyers are discussing the remaining issues.