[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roy Williams and Barber released by DAL

alexgaddis

AdamSchefter: Busy day in Dallas: Calvin Watkins reports the Cowboys have told WR Roy Williams they will be releasing him.

Tough year for Roy. First, he gets his wedding proposal turned down, and now the Cowboys have shown him the door.

Tough year for Roy. First, he gets his wedding proposal turned down, and now the Cowboys have shown him the door.

Roy,Barber, and Davis are gone. Looks like they plan on keeping Colombo which I agree with. It would be tough to cut Colombo, it still may happen but he is a very tough cut IMO.

Cutting Roy is probably the right thing to do because of the money involved here, though I would like to see him come back for alot less money.

Im just not sure Id want to rely on Bryant staying healthy, and Ogletree as the #2 WR if Bryant is out. Though Witten is really the #2 WR on this team, so maybe it wont be that bad after all. I just think Roy can still help this team.

Roy,Barber, and Davis are gone. Looks like they plan on keeping Colombo which I agree with. It would be tough to cut Colombo, it still may happen but he is a very tough cut IMO.

Getting conflicting reports on that

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/...-williams-brown

We're hearing conflicting reports on Marc Colombo, who'd be a $2.4 million savings, so stay tuned on that

Cutting Roy is probably the right thing to do because of the money involved here, though I would like to see him come back for alot less money.

Im just not sure Id want to rely on Bryant staying healthy, and Ogletree as the #2 WR if Bryant is out. Though Witten is really the #2 WR on this team, so maybe it wont be that bad after all. I just think Roy can still help this team.

Why? One injury and you are worried? tell you what send him over to my Giants and I will be happy to worry.

PS: Bryant is # 1 WR before seasons over ( or possibly when it starts)

Roy? Really? Hmmm I thought the cap accelerated hit was too high to let him go.

From ESPN ...

"None of the cuts qualifies as a huge surprise, though there was some thought that Williams might represent too big a cap hit. But as Calvin reported Monday, designating Williams as a June 1 cut makes him a $5 million savings this year instead of a $12.9 million hit as we had previously thought."

Why? One injury and you are worried? tell you what send him over to my Giants and I will be happy to worry.

PS: Bryant is # 1 WR before seasons over ( or possibly when it starts)

He was also hurt in training camp, and has played very little football the past 2 seasons. that is usually a recipe for injury. I think it would be better to maintain depth at this position until he is at the level we think he can be, instead of before he gets there.

Roy Williams is an All-Al Davis type WR. Former top draft pick, off the charts measurables... I know alotta Raider fans didn't feel Al would be able to control himself and expected the Raiders to take him rather than Gallery the year they came out.

Dallas was $19 million over the cap. There was no way they were keeping either player.

DMD, are you down with letting Roy go? I may be holding on, but after Romo got the ball to him early last season I was hoping for one more shot at busting out a huge three-wide set on everybody this year. I know we need $ for Free, but thought we wouldn't gain much cap space this season by dumping him now.

DMD, are you down with letting Roy go? I may be holding on, but after Romo got the ball to him early last season I was hoping for one more shot at busting out a huge three-wide set on everybody this year. I know we need $ for Free, but thought we wouldn't gain much cap space this season by dumping him now.

Thing is that Dallas has to let some big money players go to get under the cap - they still have to sign rookies too. There was no question that RW was not pulling his weight. I think he is marginally better than Ogletree or Hurd but with Austin, Witten and Bryant already ready to catch passes, Williams is only marginally needed anyway.

• 1 month later...