[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hawks will not re-sign QB Hasselbeck

bushwacked

Sounds like that wacky Pete Carroll has some great plans alright. :wacko:

In all due respect, Carroll almost completely flipped the roster upside down last year after 2+ miserable seasons. The meager 2010 championship in the NFC worst and an unexpected playoff win against New Orleans year doesn't necessarily indicate future success. However, the 2010 Hawks were a near equivalent of a recent expansion team. While the 2010 roster lacked depth and talent in many positions on the field; it was a more entertaining, motivated, and ultimately better product since 2008, and arguably since 2007 (granted you almost have to forget about the entire last half of the 2010 regular season to buy into the "better product" claim).

Is Carroll a one-hit wonder, again, and out of the league in 1-2 years? Maybe. This homer will almost certainly wait another year or two to weigh in too heavily. The former "superstar" Hawks GM (currently and gainfully employed by the Bears) ran a superbowl team into the ground in two short seasons. I''m more hopeful than I was at this time last year. Not much to lose at this point in being a cautiously optimistic homer.

It's painful to say it with how much I like Hasselbeck, but I think both Jackson and Whitehurst might be better QB's at this point. Last year Matt had 12 TD's and 23 Turnovers. Really I would be surprised if Whitehurst or Jackson didn't do better than that. Still, a sad day in Seattle nonetheless. Best QB in Seahawks history, best leader in Seahawks history. Thanks for ten of the most exciting sports years I've ever seen in this city. Best of luck to him. I hope he can land the Minnesota gig. Tennessee might be okay. Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have quarterback competition. Hugh Millen reminded me of a football truism today...."if you've got two quarterbacks, you've got none".

For the past three years or so I've been saying it's time to move on at QB, and that some horrible, horrible days were coming if we neglect the future of the QB position. Touchdown Jesus!

I'm surprised to find Seattle fans thinking this. I thought Zorn was respected more than Hasselbeck.

Or Kreig?

Another option. Me, viewing the team from afar I would have assumed either held more respect than Hasselbeck. They just seem to me more associated with the francise somehow. I get that Hasselbeck did get the team to the big game once, but he just never seems to me to have bleed for the team the way the others did.

It's good to know how Seattle fans feel about him.

I dont see how not resigning Hass will put them at 1-15. They did win the week 17 playoff game against the Rams (who everyone loves) with Whitehurst under center. And if it is Jackson, his numbers are much better than Hass's.

It all depends on who they bring in via FA. They have the 2nd most cap space so they will be spending some money real soon.

with the roster overhaul, new QB, they aren't going to be good, so I would rather be piss poor and challenge Carolina for Luck.

I think Charlie, Tavares and Leinart can help us get there.

not a fan of Jackson at all - Whitehurst hasn't shown anything.

Another option. Me, viewing the team from afar I would have assumed either held more respect than Hasselbeck. They just seem to me more associated with the francise somehow. I get that Hasselbeck did get the team to the big game once, but he just never seems to me to have bleed for the team the way the others did.

It's good to know how Seattle fans feel about him.

Hasselbeck had a very special connection with the fanbase here. He's just such a good guy. Smart, well-spoken and actually really funny. I've never seen another athlete here that could handle the media like he cna. He's the quintessential, take no-credit, pass it to his teammates kind of guy. For a while there, he was damn, damn good. Zorn and Krieg are beloved here, but Matt gets much of the credit for taking us from lovable losers to a mainstay in the playoffs.

He's just such a good guy. Smart, well-spoken and actually really funny. I've never seen another athlete here that could handle the media like he cna.

I was always somewhat surprised he never got more national endorsement deals. His sense of timing and humor on the camera was orders of magnitude better than, say, Peyton Manning.

Hasselbeck had a very special connection with the fanbase here. He's just such a good guy. Smart, well-spoken and actually really funny. I've never seen another athlete here that could handle the media like he cna. He's the quintessential, take no-credit, pass it to his teammates kind of guy. For a while there, he was damn, damn good. Zorn and Krieg are beloved here, but Matt gets much of the credit for taking us from lovable losers to a mainstay in the playoffs.

That, and Hass led the Seahawks to a Superbowl which, as much as they are also beloved, Zorn and Kreig never accomplished.

i can't believe the seabirds are going to go with Whitehurst and TJax. I can't believe they gave TJax an $8 million contract and they're paying whitehurst a decent amount of money too. They could actually have gotten a decent qb with all that cash.

I'm a lifelong Hawks fan and I consider Hasselbeck to be one of the best in franchise history. The guy was a warrior the whole time he was the Hawks starting QB. Played hurt every year it seemed. Led the team to their only Superbowl appearance and won a lot of playoff games. I'd put him right behind Walter Jones, Largeant and Cortez Kennedy. Absolutely a Top 5 Seahawk imo. And he's gonna make a hell of a broadcaster or analyst when he retires. Very bright and charismatic personality.

i can't believe the seabirds are going to go with Whitehurst and TJax. I can't believe they gave TJax an $8 million contract and they're paying whitehurst a decent amount of money too. They could actually have gotten a decent qb with all that cash.

Who? McNabb or Palmer? Who else was available? The Hawks currently have approx $12 million left on the books for Charlie and Tavaris combined. Hass just signed for $21 millions and has thrown 44 INTs to 33 TDs over the last 3 seasons.

There is a method to the perceived madness, I think it's all about establishing an option for a mid-term QB while investing in the offense at other positions in the mean time. Charlie has one more year on his contract. He's got that long to prove that he's a starter, a competent backup, or an afterthought. Same for Tarvaris, only his two year clock starts one year later

Two guys with an opportunity to become a mid-range option while the Hawks go for a potential long-term guynext year.

Seattle didn't draft a QB of the future, so it made no sense to nearly double the QB investment into Hass who might not even make it through 2 more seasons.

Edited by bushwacked

Who? McNabb or Palmer? Who else was available? The Hawks currently have approx $12 million left on the books for Charlie and Tavaris combined. Hass just signed for $21 millions and has thrown 44 INTs to 33 TDs over the last 3 seasons.

There is a method to the perceived madness, I think it's all about establishing an option for a mid-term QB while investing in the offense at other positions in the mean time. Charlie has one more year on his contract. He's got that long to prove that he's a starter, a competent backup, or an afterthought. Same for Tarvaris, only his two year clock starts one year later

Two guys with an opportunity to become a mid-range option while the Hawks go for a potential long-term guynext year.

Seattle didn't draft a QB of the future, so it made no sense to nearly double the QB investment into Hass who might not even make it through 2 more seasons.

Yep, pretty much right on. They could have gotten Orton or Vince, but they would have probably had to pay enough money to be locked into that guy for 3-4 years, meaning they would have very little chance of ever having an elite QB during Carroll's stay. If you're a new coach, do you really want to hook your future to Orton or Carson Palmer or whoever else you think might have been available? They didn't want to sign anybody that would hinder them from getting their guy in next year's strong QB draft class. Whitehurst will be off the books next year, and Jackson the year after. This leaves their QB future wide open. I wouldn't have wanted to commit to Palmer/McNabb/Hasselbeck for three years. They might struggle this year, but their long-term plans aren't hurt by the Jackson signing. I'm fairly comfortable with it.

Edited by Seahawks21