[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nnamdi Asomugha to Jets?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully them resigning Holmes might spell an end to this deal.

Can you imagine having those 2 shutdown corners on each side? That's like the equivalent of having Fitz and Calvin to throw the rock to, but without even needing a QB for them to be game-changers... Just look at the exotic blitzes and things that Revis already allows them to do..

Thankfully them resigning Holmes might spell an end to this deal.

Can you imagine having those 2 shutdown corners on each side? That's like the equivalent of having Fitz and Calvin to throw the rock to, but without even needing a QB for them to be game-changers... Just look at the exotic blitzes and things that Revis already allows them to do..

Everything I'm hearing says that them quickly coming to terms with Holmes means that Asomugha is even more of a lock - now they know exactly how much money they have to play with.

Everything I'm hearing says that them quickly coming to terms with Holmes means that Asomugha is even more of a lock - now they know exactly how much money they have to play with.

:wacko:

Just saw that right after I posted:

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Jets will "focus" on signing free agent Nnamdi Asomugha "for the next 12 to 14 hours."

Lombardi reports that the Jets' approach "all along" was to get Santonio Holmes locked up first, and be aggressive for there. He is convinced Asomugha can fit under the Jets' cap because of the NFL's new "soft" salary limits. There are also strong indications that Asomugha would take less money to play in New York.

Interesting twist I wasn't expecting.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the 49ers have jumped into the race to get free agent Nnamdi Asomugha under contract.

Lombardi calls the Niners the Jets "main competition," and assures "they are in it strong." San Francisco can clear a large amount of salary cap space by releasing Nate Clements, a move that would surely happen on Thursday if a deal with Asomugha was reached. Writers on the 49ers beat have been slightly skeptical of an Asomugha pursuit, but never ruled it out.

Interesting twist I wasn't expecting.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the 49ers have jumped into the race to get free agent Nnamdi Asomugha under contract.

Lombardi calls the Niners the Jets "main competition," and assures "they are in it strong." San Francisco can clear a large amount of salary cap space by releasing Nate Clements, a move that would surely happen on Thursday if a deal with Asomugha was reached. Writers on the 49ers beat have been slightly skeptical of an Asomugha pursuit, but never ruled it out.

not sure why Nmadi would go there, I mean they can easily make the playoffs in that division, but they have no chance at success in the playoffs.

It would keep him on the West coast. Not sure if that's a factor or not though.

i doubt it, if he's interested in playing in NY and willing to take a paycut to do so.

Edited by delfamdelfam

What basis do you have to go on when he is on record as saying he'd love to pair with Revis and play for Rex Ryan?

I'm saying I doubt he cares if he stays on the West Coast(meaning I doubt the 49er rumours are true). If he's willing to go to NY I don't the east or west coast matters to him. I just don't see how the 49ers are seriously in the running for Nmadi.

What basis do you have to go on when he is on record as saying he'd love to pair with Revis and play for Rex Ryan?

That plus this:

Multiple reports suggest Asomugha is willing to leave money on the table to sign with playoff contender, and Rex Ryan's squad fits the bill. Asomugha also has designs on an acting career, which may give the Jets yet another edge.

However, if he wants to go into acting, I say he should sign with the Vikings or the Jaguars. That would allow him to move to Hollywood much sooner :wacko:

It would be awesome for NYJ. You can get two great RB or WR for a team but they just diminish each other. Two great CBs mean opponents won't hardly be able to pass at all and pretty much nothing beyond short passes. I would like to see what it would be like. It could be amazing from a pure football view.

I said "I doubt it" in reference to BearBroncos saying if staying on the West Coast was a factor or not. Obviously it's not a factor if he wants to go to NY. That's why I don't get how 49er's are in contention, they're not a serious playoff contender.

I said "I doubt it" in reference to BearBroncos saying if staying on the West Coast was a factor or not. Obviously it's not a factor if he wants to go to NY. That's why I don't get how 49er's are in contention, they're not a serious playoff contender.

Ah gotcha. My reading comprehension sucks today... Yes, there is pretty much only one reason he'd go to the 9ers instead: $$$

is money a factor yet, I've heard it wasn't?

Well no one is going to just come out and say they don't care who they play for, and just want the biggest pay day possible...

Maybe he is completely genuine that he'd take less to play for a competitor (especially since he'll be making jack regardless), but let's not kid ourselves. Cash is almost always a factor.

(ETA: Or are you talking about the Jets? Unless they get really creative, I'd have to imagine he'll have to take some sort of cut under what SF can offer)...

Edited by delusions of granduer

It would be awesome for NYJ. You can get two great RB or WR for a team but they just diminish each other. Two great CBs mean opponents won't hardly be able to pass at all and pretty much nothing beyond short passes. I would like to see what it would be like. It could be amazing from a pure football view.

Agreed...and I would love to see what Rex could cook up scheme-wise. We'd almost certainly get more pressure on the QB, if only by default!

(ETA: Or are you talking about the Jets? Unless they get really creative, I'd have to imagine he'll have to take some sort of cut under what SF can offer)...

Tweet today indicated that Jets management has informed certain players that they will need to restructure contracts. I think the Jets want this guy and are going all out to make it happen. I mean, seriously...with Homes back and Nnamdi opposite Revis, who else would they really need???

Tweet today indicated that Jets management has informed certain players that they will need to restructure contracts. I think the Jets want this guy and are going all out to make it happen. I mean, seriously...with Homes back and Nnamdi opposite Revis, who else would they really need???

a pass rusher?