[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nnamdi Asomugha to Jets?

Tweet today indicated that Jets management has informed certain players that they will need to restructure contracts. I think the Jets want this guy and are going all out to make it happen. I mean, seriously...with Homes back and Nnamdi opposite Revis, who else would they really need???

try a running game. having the lead is no good if you can't run the ball and get first downs. and Sanchez should not be expected to throw 30 times per game.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a pass rusher?

Yeah, I always thought this was a priority after Holmes as well.

But am now thinking that the Revis Nnamdi Continent would be so well guarded that:

a) QB has one less option to throw to,

b ) no o-line could hold a pass rush back for as long as it would take for coverage to break down, and

c) The above plus Rex's schemes should inherently put more pressure on QB.

Add up all three and I am sure that Shawn Ellis, Bryan Thomas, and Calvin Pace should easily be able to ratchet up the pressure.

Is my thinking flawed here?

Edited by The Wolf

try a running game. having the lead is no good if you can't run the ball and get first downs. and Sanchez should not be expected to throw 30 times per game.

?? Jets ranked 4th in NFL last season. No major changes there so no reason to expect they won't still be one of the top ground attacks again this year. Barring anything unforeseen.

the thought is scary as a patriots fan.....and all along ive wanted the pats to go after malcolm floyd....the jets landing nnamdi would just make that move more neccessary imo

but as ive watched that playoff loss...and watched what the patriots did in the draft....i think the patriots have made some moves in order for them to become a power running team when they need to be.....maybe in reaction to the jets playoff loss....they went and got younger and more athletic at tackle.....and now have two young tackles in vollmer and solder....mankins will be there this year....they drafted the mammoth marcus cannon, once thought to be a 2nd round talent, in the 5th...and if hes recovered from cancer treatments he could be a factor....went and got a versatile young back in vereen(vereen is very strong too)...and a between the tackles grinder in ridley.....looks like a team that wants to be able to line up and pound it at you if they want to

?? Jets ranked 4th in NFL last season. No major changes there so no reason to expect they won't still be one of the top ground attacks again this year. Barring anything unforeseen.

when you run the ball 530+ times a year and only average 200 yards passing, then sure your gonna rack up some rushing yards. LT is older, suprised at the begginning of the year but slowed down and showed his age 2nd half of year. McKnight only had 1 catch in the playoffs and less than 40 carries all year. Greene showed he is merely average at running the ball. Maybe you get by with that, but it only gets harder every year (the defenses in your division could not have been weaker last year).

Wouldn't Deangelo Williams look good in a NYJ Jersey?

SI_PeterKing Peter King

Mailbag: Rex loves him some Nnamdi, and the feeling is mootual, from what I hear: spam.ly/ogVbFi

Five things I think I think about the opening frenzy of the Summer of Frenzy:

1. I think the Jets and Nnamdi Asomugha is a real story. For those who think the cap would prohibit it, understand this: The Jets could let free agents Antonio Cromartie and Braylon Edwards walk -- those two would be $10 million to $12 million on the cap, potentially, in 2011 -- and they could re-do the contracts of Mark Sanchez and Darrelle Revis, and they could whittle linebacker David Harris' 2011 cap hit from $10 million to about $7 million by turning his one-year deal into a multiyear contract. If you don't think Rex Ryan is pushing for this, you're crazy.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1TKRJPwIO

Edited by The Wolf

when you run the ball 530+ times a year and only average 200 yards passing, then sure your gonna rack up some rushing yards. LT is older, suprised at the begginning of the year but slowed down and showed his age 2nd half of year. McKnight only had 1 catch in the playoffs and less than 40 carries all year. Greene showed he is merely average at running the ball. Maybe you get by with that, but it only gets harder every year (the defenses in your division could not have been weaker last year).

Wouldn't Deangelo Williams look good in a NYJ Jersey?

Not any more:

@michaelombardi: DeAngelo Williams stays in Carolina 5 years 43 mil 21 guarenteed.

Somewhere, Taz (and those of us who loved Mike Goodson this season) is crying...

Edited by The Wolf

I said "I doubt it" in reference to BearBroncos saying if staying on the West Coast was a factor or not. Obviously it's not a factor if he wants to go to NY. That's why I don't get how 49er's are in contention, they're not a serious playoff contender.

There's a home town connection. Nnamdi went to Cal across the bay and has a foundation that he's very involved with. There's a lot of hope that Harbagh will develop this into a playoff team and a big weakness has been pass D and QB pressure. If the niners want him they could drive up the price and make it competitive and that's not considering the home town discount.

People thought Harbaugh was going to the Dolphins with the owner flying across country throwing money at him, and he took the lower niner offer to stay home.....you never know. People love living in the Bay Area despite the EQ's and being the most expensive place to live.

It would keep him on the West coast. Not sure if that's a factor or not though.

There's a home town connection. Nnamdi went to Cal across the bay and has a foundation that he's very involved with.

This.

Nnamdi does tons of humanitarian work in CA, and works with thousands of Bay Area kids each year.

Would this outweigh winning a Superbowl? Probably not. But it's definitely something he's considering.

I thought The Matador was lauded as the perfect fit in this defence! Now he could be cut? Wow.

Actually I'm not surprised that any team would want to part ways with this doofus that uses his privates like a rainbird!

I know Nnandi is one of the best and a great person to boot, but to be honest, I don't see how he adds that much to the defence as it relates to cost and how they could spend the money in other areas. Was Cro really burned that often last year that they NEED to make this move?

Both Nnamdi and The Matador are similar players from what I have seen. Neither are very physical, though anyone is tougher than Cro. They are both very athletic and can cover a lot of space.

I'm not saying it is a bad move by any means, but there is a bang for the buck factor that makes me :wacko: From what I could tell last year, there were not a lot of people throwing on the Jets anyway :tup:

Both Nnamdi and The Matador are similar players from what I have seen. Neither are very physical, though anyone is tougher than Cro. They are both very athletic and can cover a lot of space.

:wacko:

Asomugha is able to play very physically when asked. He spent years playing exclusive man-to-man on Gonzalez when Gonzo was in his prime at KC.

I thought The Matador was lauded as the perfect fit in this defence! Now he could be cut? Wow.

Actually I'm not surprised that any team would want to part ways with this doofus that uses his privates like a rainbird!

I know Nnandi is one of the best and a great person to boot, but to be honest, I don't see how he adds that much to the defence as it relates to cost and how they could spend the money in other areas. Was Cro really burned that often last year that they NEED to make this move?

I'm not saying it is a bad move by any means, but there is a bang for the buck factor that makes me :wacko: From what I could tell last year, there were not a lot of people throwing on the Jets anyway :tup:

This is a good post. It really doesn't make sense for any team to spend big $$$ on a CB because they don't have that big of an effect on the game. A pass rusher is a bigger need. CBs don't touch the ball like offensive players do and can basically be taken out of a game by being avoided. Obviously having 2 top notch CBs would make it tough for opposing offenses to avoid. Plus, iirc, Cromartie was pretty darn good last year.

Also, I didn't realize that Asomugha is 30 and CBs do fade in their 30s - not as drastically as RBs but also not as gradual as WRs (who seem to do well into their mid/late 30s). I guess my point is that not only does this trade make little sense from a value perspective, you're also getting a guy past his prime. We don't know how much he will cost but my guess is that whoever signs him probably could have got more value for those dollars.

There's a home town connection. Nnamdi went to Cal across the bay and has a foundation that he's very involved with. There's a lot of hope that Harbagh will develop this into a playoff team and a big weakness has been pass D and QB pressure. If the niners want him they could drive up the price and make it competitive and that's not considering the home town discount.

People thought Harbaugh was going to the Dolphins with the owner flying across country throwing money at him, and he took the lower niner offer to stay home.....you never know. People love living in the Bay Area despite the EQ's and being the most expensive place to live.

ESPN ticker shows that Gore plans to hold out for new contract. If SF was making a run at Nnamdi, toes this throw a wrench in their plans?

Your Raider-fu is weak.

Aso was a safety in college and can be very physical... he has a nice highlight real lighting up screens and such in the NFL.

Probably the surest tackler on the team for years...

I do agree that signing a 30 year old CB to a mega contract isn't all that prudent though.

Edited by byron2112

:tup:

Asomugha is able to play very physically when asked. He spent years playing exclusive man-to-man on Gonzalez when Gonzo was in his prime at KC.

But Vincent Jackson and Gates owned him :wacko:

What's the worst that happens in the pursuit?

They dont get him, and they resign Cro and Edwards?

Or

They sign him, and then take Randy Moss off that FA for cheap, and possibly see how low edwards will go to stay a jet

'nother good point. Cro is just hitting his prime and will get better this year and next. I'm starting to become convinced this whole rumor is a smoke screen and will not happen. Jets seem like a smart team and this pickup makes zero sense really.

Are there any good pass rushers they could be eyeing? That seems like the best move for the Jets.

What's the worst that happens in the pursuit?

They dont get him, and they resign Cro and Edwards?

Or

They sign him, and then take Randy Moss off that FA for cheap, and possibly see how low edwards will go to stay a jet

Does it matter, this team will be lucky to lose another AFC Champ game next season. They have become the yankees, trying to buy or acquire as many stars from other teams as possible. Will be fun to watch REX CHOKE on his brash words again next year. Cant Wait. :wacko:

This is a good post. It really doesn't make sense for any team to spend big $$$ on a CB because they don't have that big of an effect on the game. A pass rusher is a bigger need. CBs don't touch the ball like offensive players do and can basically be taken out of a game by being avoided. Obviously having 2 top notch CBs would make it tough for opposing offenses to avoid. Plus, iirc, Cromartie was pretty darn good last year.

Also, I didn't realize that Asomugha is 30 and CBs do fade in their 30s - not as drastically as RBs but also not as gradual as WRs (who seem to do well into their mid/late 30s). I guess my point is that not only does this trade make little sense from a value perspective, you're also getting a guy past his prime. We don't know how much he will cost but my guess is that whoever signs him probably could have got more value for those dollars.

I disagree. The Jets defense really utilizes the press corners, which disrupts the receivers routes and throws off the timing of the offense. If you have good press corners, you can dictate what the offense will do. By having good press corners, it allows Ryan to stack the line and disguise his defenses, but most importantly, it allows the linebackers to break free for sacks. The press corners don't have to get to the ball, but they have a major influence and impact on the game. Their tight coverage prevents the quick short passes and makes the play take a lot longer. Not everyone can play press-man coverage well.

'nother good point. Cro is just hitting his prime and will get better this year and next. I'm starting to become convinced this whole rumor is a smoke screen and will not happen. Jets seem like a smart team and this pickup makes zero sense really.

Are there any good pass rushers they could be eyeing? That seems like the best move for the Jets.

Alotta Raider fans are hoping to replace Nnam with Cromartie and his parade of bastard children.

He's just the kinda athlete at corner that Al loves.

Edited by byron2112

I disagree. The Jets defense really utilizes the press corners, which disrupts the receivers routes and throws off the timing of the offense. If you have good press corners, you can dictate what the offense will do. By having good press corners, it allows Ryan to stack the line and disguise his defenses, but most importantly, it allows the linebackers to break free for sacks. The press corners don't have to get to the ball, but they have a major influence and impact on the game. Their tight coverage prevents the quick short passes and makes the play take a lot longer. Not everyone can play press-man coverage well.

Do you think that an aging Aso justifes the uptick in salary he will command over Cromartie (who should get better)? I don't. IIRC - and I don't pay as much attention to defense as I'm in no IDP leagues - didn't Cromartie play his best against more physical WRs?

Do you think that an aging Aso justifes the uptick in salary he will command over Cromartie (who should get better)? I don't. IIRC - and I don't pay as much attention to defense as I'm in no IDP leagues - didn't Cromartie play his best against more physical WRs?

Cromartie was inconsistent, but he did get better. With one year under his belt, he could be even better. I don't think 30 is that old. They want to win now, so maybe they think Nnamdi will give them the edge.

There was talk he wanted to play for the Bolts as well. Playoff calibre team in Cali and all. There was no real interest because of the HUGH money and the 30 plus thingy.

I know it is tempting as a Jets fan to think this is a good thing, but I still think they are better off loading other roster spots with the money and staying with The Matador. Aso is NOT a "press corner", at least not any more. He will shut down almost anyone with a variety of styles and techniques, but does have trouble at times with the bigger WRs.

This is one advantage that I see Cro has being on the other side of Revis. You can use Revis to shut down the #1, and then use Cro to lock up on the other guys big men. Both are listed as 6-2/210. You get more years out of Cro, who is also the better raw athlete.

Between the two, I would want Aso in a perfect world. But that is because I like him (yes Raider fans, I have liked a Raider player or two over the years.) :wacko: The Mad Stork, Belitnekoff (sp), Otto 00, and Aso). He is a young man of character and honour. Cro is a wuss and has no honour.

Despite my personal feelings about the two, I still don't see this as being the best move for the Jets.