[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Value for Redskins?

delfamdelfam

With Beck looking like the starting QB in Washington and all their options in FA dwindling, does Washington have any fantasy value this year.

QB(Beck,Grossman,?): no value here

RB(Torain,Helu): could be value, but is it worth drafting these guys early not knowing which one will get the majority of carries.

WR(Moss,Armstrong,Hankerson): again, value here but with no QB how much can they really contribute, especially since some are deep threats

TE(Cooley,Davis): probably the most value here with a inexperienced QB

Clemens to Stallworth and MKelly all day!!! The last time we had a genius coach who knew something and saw something in a player or players that NOBODY else in the entire league knew/saw, we ended up with Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews at QB and Jacquez Green, Chris Doering, and Willie Jackson at WR.

Hmmm...Fire McNabb at QB....Hire Beck, Clemens, and Grossman at QB......Hire Stallworth at WR....I've seen this movie before.

It's early in the FA season (thought it is a short season). Let's hope the Shanny's have some tricks up their sleeves or I am going to live in the "Red Zone" all day on Sunday.

Arrogance Kills.

Edited by SpinalTapp

I agree that there isn't any top-tier fantasy football talent on the Skins, but there are some roster-worthy guys. In my 10-team non-PPR league last year, Santana Moss finished as the #24WR and surprisingly enough, Anthony Armstrong finished as the #32WR. Could be good bye-week fill-ins or useful if you have to start 3WR.

Torain has potential if he can stay healthy, but I wouldn't grab him before the 7th or 8th round at the earliest, depending how your draft goes. And although Roy Helu is getting a TON of hype, don't forget about Keiland Williams. Last year he had 65 rushes, 39 receptions, and scored 5 TDs, so he's been in the fire and proven his worth. It will be interesting to see if Helu can supplant Keiland as the #2 RB.

And while we have quality TEs in Cooley & Davis, there's so much depth at TE this year that there's no point in drafting either one early, unless you just really want a Skin on your team.

And if that's the case, I think Graham Gano is the guy to grab. I expect a lot of stalled drives inside the 20, which means lots of FG attempts. Gano actually had the 6TH MOST FG ATTEMPTS LAST YEAR; unfortunately, he missed 11 of them. It was only his first full season as a starting K, so hopefully his accuracy will improve this year.

• 1 month later...
Looked like Shanny was leaning towards Beck but then Grossman sat out the last preseason game with the other starters so not sure what to think..

A sudden attack of mental clarity? Grossman isn't sexy by any means, but regardless of what Shanny thought about Beck in his rookie draft (and Shanahan hasn't been exactly the greatest evaluator of college QBs over his career), maybe he's seen that this kid just can't put together a NFL career. It's a simple matter of very mediocre capability vs incapability.

As far as FF value, if Helu is there in the last round or two of my draft and I'm looking for flyers, this kid is at the top of my list. What Shanahan doesn't know about QB evaluation, he's pretty much the best in the league at finding RBs who can absolutely thrive in his system. Helu has all the qualifiers about being a surprise 1200+ yd rusher and Shanahan loves speed at the position, almost to the point of being irrational about it at times (Tatum Bell/Quentin Griffith, anyone?}. Torain, when uninjured, has the plowhorse one-cut deceptive burst tenaciousness that made some Shanahan RBs very good rushers in the NFL, but Helu has what makes Mike drool - a serious case of the quicks.

Edited by Bronco Billy

don't forget about Keiland Williams. Last year he had 65 rushes, 39 receptions, and scored 5 TDs, so he's been in the fire and proven his worth. It will be interesting to see if Helu can supplant Keiland as the #2 RB.

:wacko:

Williams got his walking papers yesterday.

Grossman started the third pre-season game and sat out the fourth pre-season game - all typical signs that he will be the starter in Week 1. However, all local media reports have Beck as the starter, even though he was shaky, at best, versus the Bucs 2nd string defense in the last pre-season game.

Grossman knows the offense better and is the lower risk starter - problem is, the coaches know what he is and what he possibly could be (his upside is limited). Beck represents much more risk but also much more upside as he has yet to hit his failure point in Shanny's system.

Shanny's actions point to Grossman starting. Everyone's gut instincts and insider reports point to Beck starting. You know Shanny would love to be the first coach to implement a QBBC system.

It is Shanny - your guess is as good as mine. I would like to see Beck start and see what he can do.

:wacko:

Williams got his walking papers yesterday.

Well, when I made my original post it was way back on July 27. And obviously a lot has happened since then!

As for fantasy value, again I point to the Kicker, Graham Gano. He was a perfect 10-for-10 this preseason and the Skins offense has a history of stalling in the red zone. Yeah, kickers are a dime a dozen and Gano finished last in FG percentage last year, but he had 35 opportunities. He's looking decent so far this year and should be better in his 2nd year.

Also, and I've mentioned this all over the forums already, but keep an eye on the Skins D. They are VASTLY improved and have a great schedule against mediocre QBs--Tarvaris Jax, Alex Smith, Ryan Fitz, Chad Henne, McNabb, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford (decent but still only in his 2nd yr and installing a new offense). Plus in their division, the Cowboys O-line is in flux, Eli has been a turnover machine, and the Eagles o-line appears awful. I see lots of sacks and turnovers for the Skins D this season. Seriously, look at the schedule and make a mental note to keep an eye on them! Oh, and KR/PR Brandon Banks has shown he can take it to the house on several occasions. Another plus.

Edited by OCSkins

Grossman started the third pre-season game and sat out the fourth pre-season game - all typical signs that he will be the starter in Week 1. However, all local media reports have Beck as the starter, even though he was shaky, at best, versus the Bucs 2nd string defense in the last pre-season game.

Grossman knows the offense better and is the lower risk starter - problem is, the coaches know what he is and what he possibly could be (his upside is limited). Beck represents much more risk but also much more upside as he has yet to hit his failure point in Shanny's system.

Shanny's actions point to Grossman starting. Everyone's gut instincts and insider reports point to Beck starting. You know Shanny would love to be the first coach to implement a QBBC system.

It is Shanny - your guess is as good as mine. I would like to see Beck start and see what he can do.

"Breaking" News - Shanny names Grossman starter for Week 1. Not a shock as all of Shanny's actions pointed to this.

Well, when I made my original post it was way back on July 27. And obviously a lot has happened since then!

As for fantasy value, again I point to the Kicker, Graham Gano. He was a perfect 10-for-10 this preseason and the Skins offense has a history of stalling in the red zone. Yeah, kickers are a dime a dozen and Gano finished last in FG percentage last year, but he had 35 opportunities. He's looking decent so far this year and should be better in his 2nd year.

Also, and I've mentioned this all over the forums already, but keep an eye on the Skins D. They are VASTLY improved and have a great schedule against mediocre QBs--Tarvaris Jax, Alex Smith, Ryan Fitz, Chad Henne, McNabb, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford (decent but still only in his 2nd yr and installing a new offense). Plus in their division, the Cowboys O-line is in flux, Eli has been a turnover machine, and the Eagles o-line appears awful. I see lots of sacks and turnovers for the Skins D this season. Seriously, look at the schedule and make a mental note to keep an eye on them! Oh, and KR/PR Brandon Banks has shown he can take it to the house on several occasions. Another plus.

You know you're a fan of a sad team when people ask who has fantasy value for them and the first player you mention is their kicker! Like you said,"dime a dozen..."

I understand this thread was started back in July but no one has mention Tim Hightower???

I have a feeling he's going to have a great year in the skins run first offense. He is also listed at the starting RB. I have seen him going really late in both of my leagues (I grabbed him in one and missed him by 3 picks in the other) Both I think were in the 7th or 8th rd.

Also think Santana Moss is worth drafting although I see him as more of a #2 WR.....

I understand this thread was started back in July but no one has mention Tim Hightower???

I have a feeling he's going to have a great year in the skins run first offense. He is also listed at the starting RB. I have seen him going really late in both of my leagues (I grabbed him in one and missed him by 3 picks in the other) Both I think were in the 7th or 8th rd.

Also think Santana Moss is worth drafting although I see him as more of a #2 WR.....

Sure Hightower has fantasy value ... but only if you can figure out when all the planets and moons align correctly; i.e. which game days will Shanny choose to start him AND which of those days will coincide with a good performance by Hightower. Good luck with that.

You know you're a fan of a sad team when people ask who has fantasy value for them and the first player you mention is their kicker! Like you said,"dime a dozen..."

Well, the question was about fantasy "value". Kickers are a crapshoot every year and they're all taken in the last round anyway. Gano attempted the 6th most FGs last year (35) and was a perfect 10-for-10 in this preseason. 10 FGs made in 4 games, pretty nice. Since he plays for a "sad" team, he gets overlooked so I simply wanted to point him out. I'd certainly love to own a kicker who consistently gets 2-3 FG attempts a game.

Besides, winning fantasy football is about having the highest scoring TEAM, and last time I checked, kickers are part of every team.