[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears Trade Greg Olsen to Panthers

keggerz

I am seriously baffled by the Bears' efforts this week as far as trading. While I do think Knox is going to breakout this season, I still think the Bears need a legit #1 WR. Why we didn't go after a Rice or Ocho? I understand that Rice is somewhat unproven still having only 1 truly good season. But he's young, big and put up Elite stats in 2009. Ocho is a precise route runner and has never had any type of serious leg injury (iirc). At 33, I believe he still has a good 2 years left in the tank and I can just imgaine his potential with Tommy Terrific :wacko:

The release of Olsen makes sense because Martz historically does not use his TEs. Olsen's average stats from last season were probably his ceiling with Martz calling the plays. And honestly, Olsen is not that good - very, inconsistent and not very tough, imo. We need blockers to allow time for Cutler and that's what Martz pushed for and apparently got his way. This team is an elite WR away from true contention and we haven't done didley in pursuing it. My fear is that the Bears covet, former Martz player, Roy Williams :tup:

I am seriously baffled by the Bears' efforts this week as far as trading. While I do think Knox is going to breakout this season, I still think the Bears need a legit #1 WR. Why we didn't go after a Rice or Ocho? I understand that Rice is somewhat unproven still having only 1 truly good season. But he's young, big and put up Elite stats in 2009. Ocho is a precise route runner and has never had any type of serious leg injury (iirc). At 33, I believe he still has a good 2 years left in the tank and I can just imgaine his potential with Tommy Terrific :wacko:

The release of Olsen makes sense because Martz historically does not use his TEs. Olsen's average stats from last season were probably his ceiling with Martz calling the plays. And honestly, Olsen is not that good - very, inconsistent and not very tough, imo. We need blockers to allow time for Cutler and that's what Martz pushed for and apparently got his way. This team is an elite WR away from true contention and we haven't done didley in pursuing it. My fear is that the Bears covet, former Martz player, Roy Williams :rofl:

:tup:

Olsen was getting better before Martz got to Chicago. 54 catches, 574 yards and 5 scores... then a nice move up to 60 catches, 612 yards and 8 scores.

I think he's incredibly tough. :lol:

If the Vikings don't land Braylon Edwards, I could see the Bears going after him. Or Williams. Both of which would be blah.

:wacko:

Olsen was getting better before Martz got to Chicago. 54 catches, 574 yards and 5 scores... then a nice move up to 60 catches, 612 yards and 8 scores.

I think he's incredibly tough. :tup:

If the Vikings don't land Braylon Edwards, I could see the Bears going after him. Or Williams. Both of which would be blah.

That 60 catch 8TD season was a big result of Cutler force-feeding him the ball. I remember watching games where Cutler would look his way often, usually resulting in incomplete passes or ints. My point is that his numbers were decent but his targets were really high.

That 60 catch 8TD season was a big result of Cutler force-feeding him the ball. I remember watching games where Cutler would look his way often, usually resulting in incomplete passes or ints. My point is that his numbers were decent but his targets were really high.

108 targets that year. Johnny Knox had 99 targets under Martz's scheme last year, with 51 catches.

108 targets that year. Johnny Knox had 99 targets under Martz's scheme last year, with 51 catches.

I dunno what to tell you. I watch every Bear game as I'm sure you do too - and Olsen always struck me as over-hyped. I've seen him drop easy catches more frequently than I'd like. I've seen him have problems getting open, usually gets jammed at the line. When I watch Bear games I seem to do most of my yelling at Olsen. Sometimes you have to go beyond the stats and from what I've seen of him, I'm happy he's gone, especially coupled with Martz's system which doesn't utilize pass-catching TEs.

I dunno what to tell you. I watch every Bear game as I'm sure you do too - and Olsen always struck me as over-hyped. I've seen him drop easy catches more frequently than I'd like. I've seen him have problems getting open, usually gets jammed at the line. When I watch Bear games I seem to do most of my yelling at Olsen. Sometimes you have to go beyond the stats and from what I've seen of him, I'm happy he's gone, especially coupled with Martz's system which doesn't utilize pass-catching TEs.

Maybe it's because I'm not as immersed in the Chicago media, but I never got the sense Olsen was over-hyped.

Martz's system may have not utilized pass-catching TEs in the past, but I got the feeling that in Year 2 of the Martz system in Chicago could have meant different and better things for Olsen. I guess Martz disagreed and it led to the trade.

They absolutely need a taller, go-to WR now.

Maybe it's because I'm not as immersed in the Chicago media, but I never got the sense Olsen was over-hyped.

Martz's system may have not utilized pass-catching TEs in the past, but I got the feeling that in Year 2 of the Martz system in Chicago could have meant different and better things for Olsen. I guess Martz disagreed and it led to the trade.

They absolutely need a taller, go-to WR now.

Absolutely and we got it in Roy Williams :wacko: He could be OK but I'm still pissed we didn't go after Ocho or Rice. Roy Williams' best season was under Martz in Detroit so maybe he can work his magic with him in Chicago. Either way, I won't be drafting Roy Williams EVER AGAIN.

Considering that they only have 2 linebackers under contract in Briggs and Urlacher, I like the trade for Conner to play at SLB.

Plus a 3rd, as that defense is getting long in the tooth and they need to restock through the draft.

Considering that Martz doesnt know how to use the LB position, I guess that is good value :wacko: But I remember hearing that the Patriots offered a 2nd last year and the bears said no . . .