[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Malcom Floyd

tazinib1

Well, if the Lions just resigned Nate Burleson, I don't think that I'd be doing cartwheels.

Floyd has been there for many years. he's developed into a solid WR and created a good rapport with Rivers.

i don't think most Charger fans would be comfortable with the talent and depth we had at WR without Floyd there.

and Floyd fits our style. he's big and can get downfield. but above all else, he's an organizational guy and he can

be counted on. in a short training camp season that can't be underestimated.

and sometimes its just nice to keep the good guys on your team.

WQhat scares me about Floyd is the fact zthat while he had 77 targets last year, he could only catch 37 passes. That is a pretty crappy % overall . . .

I did not know this. This stat seems to go against what I remember of his play in 2009- 20010. What I remember was a lot of balls caught that I thought would not be. IIRC many of those were long gains that led to scores. I for one am really pleased that he signed here instead of Baltimore and a sampling of our sports talk shows belie the same sentiments. There has to be a reason for this besides straight out homer-ism don't you think? We love our Chargers here but we are also the first to cry foul when AJ loses another great player or refuses to sign a key free agent we think will get us over the hump. There is more to Floyd in SD than you are aware of. Although your stat shows a crappy %, I believe he will be a key contributor if healthy.

WQhat scares me about Floyd is the fact zthat while he had 77 targets last year, he could only catch 37 passes. That is a pretty crappy % overall . . .

Actually its 74/37 :wacko:

What those stats don't reveal is he only dropped 2 passes for a 50% catch rate. Weather or not those other passes were off there mark or were defended is not known and I'm unaware of where to get that information. What I do know is, of the passes he caught, he averaged a robust 19.4 YPC..which was good enough for 4th in the league. Count the 6 TD's and you can see why we are excited to have him back.

Actually its 74/37 :tup:

What those stats don't reveal is he only dropped 2 passes for a 50% catch rate. Weather or not those other passes were off there mark or were defended is not known and I'm unaware of where to get that information. What I do know is, of the passes he caught, he averaged a robust 19.4 YPC..which was good enough for 4th in the league. Count the 6 TD's and you can see why we are excited to have him back.

Those stats reveal a lot. What is that in comparison to other SD players? The answer is he had the worst target to catch ratio on the team. So Rivers cant throw to the 6'5'' guy? :wacko: The "drops" count is completely subjective, I have never bought into how that is computated. Yes his YPC is high . . . so is Anthony Armstrongs. I see Floyd as being very similar to Lee Evans in his catch ratio and YPC.

He is a solid 3rd/4th option in that offense, and a solid counterpoint to Vjax. Good resigning my San Deigo, but it aint like they signed a franchise player . .

I don't get the excitement. Floyd ain't nothing special.

I agree

Nobody said that. You were excited when James Jones was resigned by the Pack right? 58.8% .... Well there ya go. :wacko:

Um, not as excited as you are here with Floyd. I think I said "me likey".

I just dont get the exuberance over a 30 year old WR that has a 50% catch %.

I agree

Um, not as excited as you are here with Floyd. I think I said "me likey".

I just dont get the exuberance over a 30 year old WR that has a 50% catch %.

he didn't have VJax last year so he drew the top corner when he was on the field. and no one is saying he's a #1 WR. but he's valuable to this team. you don't have to get it. we just like Floyd more than you like Jones. :wacko:

Edited by rebdog

Floyd's completion percentage will be lower than some other receivers because he is our deep threat. He stretches the field and allows for VJax, Gates, and a running back/third receiver to get open underneath. But his worth to the team goes beyond his stats. He is one of those veteran "character" players that a team needs to have in the locker room to bring a team together. That's another reason we homers are so glad to have him back.

Awaiting the powerful BP's response the to the overwhelming responce to Charger homers that love the Floyd resigning. Can't wait for your response Packer Backer.

Please tell me how Floyd's signing is a downturn for us Charger backers. You don't wanna get excited? Fine...don't be...but dont' devalue what his signing means to the Chargers...even if you can't understand it.

Floyd's completion percentage will be lower than some other receivers because he is our deep threat. He stretches the field and allows for VJax, Gates, and a running back/third receiver to get open underneath. But his worth to the team goes beyond his stats. He is one of those veteran "character" players that a team needs to have in the locker room to bring a team together. That's another reason we homers are so glad to have him back.

Now that is a reasoned response from a Chargers fan.

thank you doc.