[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

are tiers too large?

arnoldg3

In reviewing my custom cheat sheets today I noticed that there were 11 wide receivers in tier 2 and 14 in tier 3.Are the players within each tier supposed to be grouped within some relatively close range? Is Calvin Johnson comparable to Steve Johnson? Is Dwayne Bowe comparable to Mike Thomas? If they are ranked as such then thats fine. If not, then the tiers dont make sense.

The tiers get bigger because the lower tier you go down, the less statistical difference there is among those guys in the projections... There are only 3 guys that make up the top tier of WRs, because there are only three that appear capable of those stats. There's actually 9 WRs in the second tier of my custom cheat sheet, but they all look pretty comparable....

Calvin is in the first tier on my cheat sheets, but if he ended up in the same tier as Stevie, then there's gotta be something in your scoring that's causing that (and I'd have to imagine it'd still be Calvin at the top and Stevie near the bottom of the tier)...

But anyways, back to the general point, tiers are there to show you where percieved dropoffs of scoring are... That doesn't mean Stevie will perform as good as Calvin just because they're in the same tier, but the scoring might not be that different on a point-per-game-basis if you decided to draft another position and then draft Stevie later instead (hypothetically of course)... It's more to help you see where value is, such as Rivers sitting on the board in the 3rd/4th, or even necessity to draft a position if you don't like what you see in the drop off to the next tier.

Edited by delusions of granduer

The idea behind utilizing tiers while drafting is that you should be happy to draft anyone within that tier.Some people use 16 or 20 fantasy points as a guide. There should be some dropoff to next tier.Obviously there will be some difference between highest rated and lowest player in a tier, but the difference shouldnt be significant. If I choose Steve Johnson instead of Calvin Johnson because of bye week conflicts, lets say, I will be hurting myself in the draft. Does The Huddle have a different philosophy? By the way, I can also see going to the other extreme of having too many tiers. This is equally unhelpful and I'm not recommending that.

I'll say this. I personally do agree that tier two is a bit too large and, again personally, think there may be 2-3 guys listed at the top of tier 3 that I would lump with some of the guys at the end of the Huddle's tier 2. But that's just me.

However, what I find to be the most useful element of the Huddle is that they take a very pragmatic approach to their rankings and that can be quite illustrative. For instance, I can't help but give Calvin Johnson the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's either 1 or 1a among WRs regardless of scoring systems. However, perhaps the numbers don't bear that out. If a guy like Nicks is catching way more balls than he is, even if he's not doing much more with those catches in terms of yards, well, then maybe he does deserve to be ahead of him. At least in ppr

And, maybe, despite how impressive he is, Johnson is simply not putting up numbers that much better than all those guys right behind him. Again, it's going to take some convincing if I'm going to accept that Steve Johnson is virtually interchangable for Jumbotron, but he's welcome to try and I'm certain to emerge from that exercise much better informed. I still may not ultimately be able to come to grips with that and insist upon either moving CJ into the next tier up or making the cut at tier 2 just above Johnson. Then again, maybe not.

The idea behind utilizing tiers while drafting is that you should be happy to draft anyone within that tier.Some people use 16 or 20 fantasy points as a guide. There should be some dropoff to next tier.Obviously there will be some difference between highest rated and lowest player in a tier, but the difference shouldnt be significant. If I choose Steve Johnson instead of Calvin Johnson because of bye week conflicts, lets say, I will be hurting myself in the draft. Does The Huddle have a different philosophy? By the way, I can also see going to the other extreme of having too many tiers. This is equally unhelpful and I'm not recommending that.

You would be making a mistake avoiding a player because of bye week conflicts anyway. So you have one really lousy week. Better than 2 or 3 kinda lousy weeks IMO. Or trade yourself out of a bye week problem. You should always take the best value IMO, regardless of bye weeks (with exceptions being specific bye week picks like a backup QB or backup TE if you roster them).

Those tiers represent an opinion about values. I've never thought of all of the guys in a given tier as virtually interchangeable. They are within the same base range, but specific opinions about specific guys can create some distance, even in the same tier. One of the most important elements to tiering is seeing how many guys are left before a dropoff so I can best decide whether I think I need to fill that position now or wait until it comes back around to me. Combining that with the knowledge of what my opponents on the "short side" of the draft board need helps me with the decision. The experts at the huddle have their opinion about Calvin Johnson, and they have their opinion about Steve Johnson. If you disagree, then bump Calvin into tier one or drop Steve into tier 3.

Edited by MTSuper7

Tiers, Tiers Tiers...

Well my two cents..

its a TOOL. period. ( I use it as a baseline.)

it is not LAW and you will not necessarily win your league based soley off the tiers from August. lol

when I started to effectively utilize the 'tiers-system', I could see and quickly access how much VALUE a certain position has over other positions that start drying up quickly. Why take another RB way down in T4 when you can get a T2/3-WR or T1-TE of even better VALUE? (must really need that handcuff huh?)

IMO the draft is made in rounds 4-12. when you fill out the starters and pick up the best bench players..thats when you gotta know what to do if your Backup/Sleeper or w/e gets snatched up two picks before your turn;

Tiers can quickly show you who can be the next guy that'll come as close to those #'s as possible. sometimes you need another position simply because they offer more Value.

So in the end, you want the best player available per position, but it never works out like that..('cus everyone had that same plan right?) so you gotta settle on the next best guy sometimes, and hope he gets those numbers for ya somehow.

For me ,, Tiers are not used for drafting but for trading players ,,, I simply customized so that the owner I'm trying to trade with thinks hes coming out on top ,,, if he can't think for himself then I will do the thinking for him :wacko:

For me ,, Tiers are not used for drafting but for trading players ,,, I simply customized so that the owner I'm trying to trade with thinks hes coming out on top ,,, if he can't think for himself then I will do the thinking for him :tup:

:wacko: AWESOME!!!