[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NOS RB Update

SLAYER

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone I follow on twitter from NOLA beat writers to national guys like Peter King have all been raving about Mark Ingram. I've also read that he's getting almost all of the first team reps. I've seen it debated here and other FF websites, but I think Ingram gets the bulk of the touches, PT gets in when Ingram is taking a breather and Sproles is in on clear passing situations.

I also think that Ingram is a top ten back with upside.

I also think that Ingram is a top ten back with upside.

This sounds alot like the conversations we were having last year about Ryan Mathews - rookie RB on an explosive offense with a chance to become the workhorse back.

So, what would you say are the differences between Mathews last year and Ingram this year - just plain better substrate (Ingram is a far superior RB), less likely to get injured, better suited for this particular offense?

This sounds alot like the conversations we were having last year about Ryan Mathews - rookie RB on an explosive offense with a chance to become the workhorse back.

So, what would you say are the differences between Mathews last year and Ingram this year - just plain better substrate (Ingram is a far superior RB), less likely to get injured, better suited for this particular offense?

Mathews got a high ankle sprain. How do you predict that? :wacko:

A very fair question.

In the end, "it is what it is". And I am no expert in either. From what I can tell at a glance in differences:

Mark Ingram - Heisman winner as a junior, set Alabama rushing record as a soph, has a knee injury as a jr. but still all three years were double digit TDs with 5+ YPC. Played SEC and averaged 150 yards oer game against six top 25 opponents in title run.

Ryan Mathews - only had one good season which was 1808 yards and 19 TDs leading the nation in rushing while playing for Fresno State.

That is not to say that Mathews cannot still be an elite, but he did it less time and at a much smaller school and conference.

A very fair question.

In the end, "it is what it is". And I am no expert in either player. From what I can tell at a glance in differences:

Mark Ingram - Heisman winner as a junior, set Alabama rushing record as a soph, had a knee injury as a jr. but still all three years were double digit TDs with 5+ YPC. Played SEC and averaged 150 yards per game against six top 25 opponents in title run.

Ryan Mathews - only had one good season which was 1808 yards and 19 TDs leading the nation in rushing while playing for Fresno State.

That is not to say that Mathews cannot still be an elite, but he did it less time and at a much smaller school and conference.

there was more risk with Mathews, his ADP was early 2nd round and using that high pick on a rookie is risky. Ingram is most likely going to go around the 5th round which isn't as much of a risk to take on a rookie as Mathews was in the 2nd round.

Last year I stayed far away from Matthews because of ADP. I'm MUCH more willing to draft Ingram because of his ADP. Plus, I know more about him, have seen him, and personally like what I see A LOT. Payton and his approach always scares me but the upside is great. Think someone in my draft will reach for him.

Well, Ingram's ADP (5th rd) might seem like a great value NOW, but as we get closer to the season I'm sure he'll get hyped to the point his ADP rises dramatically, I'm guessing 3rd round. My draft isn't until the 28th, and I play in a league with guys who looooove gambling on rookie RBs, so I'm sure he'll go 3rd rd in my draft, maybe even late 2nd if someone wants him bad enuff.

On MyHuddle cheat sheets for my league he's ranked in the 3rd tier with guys like Greene, Hillis, Blount, Benson, and Bradshaw. Ingram is #16 on there. Personally, I'd grab Ingram and his upside over those other guys.

I think anyone hoping to get Ingram in the 5th in a few weeks will be sorely disappointed to find he's been long gone.

Well, Ingram's ADP (5th rd) might seem like a great value NOW, but as we get closer to the season I'm sure he'll get hyped to the point his ADP rises dramatically, I'm guessing 3rd round. My draft isn't until the 28th, and I play in a league with guys who looooove gambling on rookie RBs, so I'm sure he'll go 3rd rd in my draft, maybe even late 2nd if someone wants him bad enuff.

On MyHuddle cheat sheets for my league he's ranked in the 3rd tier with guys like Greene, Hillis, Blount, Benson, and Bradshaw. Ingram is #16 on there. Personally, I'd grab Ingram and his upside over those other guys.

I think anyone hoping to get Ingram in the 5th in a few weeks will be sorely disappointed to find he's been long gone.

I feel ya.

You sure about that?

And in a 12 team league, Ingram's ADP is currently 4.9. And I agree, by the end of the month, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get Ingram past the 3rd.

It's already been answered, but Mathews failure was more than anything due to his high ankle sprain. He was productive when he was on the field, but missed too much time to get into a groove.

Even though I happen to be high on Mathews, he and Ingram are different animals all together. Ingram played in a pro style offense against the SEC. That's big to me. And we didn't have the Peter King's and national pundits saying that Ryan Mathews would be a star out of the gate. National, and from what I can tell, the local media covering the Saints are shocked at how good he looks.

Taz, most definitely I would take Ingram over Greene, even though Greene is #15 on my cheat sheets, 1 spot above Ingram. Greene is one of the most over-hyped players, and when you look at his stats, I'm not sure why. On one of the run-heaviest offenses in the entire NFL, in TWO SEASONS Greene has compiled a total of 1300 rushing yards and a whopping 4 TDS (over 2 seasons!). In fact, he has more fumbles lost (5) than TDs (4)!!! This is a guy who couldn't beat out 31-yr old Thomas Jones or a 31-yr old LT for the starting gig!

And now, just because the Jets are saying that Greene is (finally) going to be the 'bell cow' this year, we're supposed to assume he's going to be a world-beater? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sorry about the tirade, I just don't see that Greene has done anything in his entire NFL career to substantiate so much hype and such a high fantasy ranking. And yes, before you flip it around on me, I'm aware that Ingram doesn't even have an NFL career yet...but that simply means he hasn't disappointed yet.....which Greene has.....twice. =)

Taz, most definitely I would take Ingram over Greene, even though Greene is #15 on my cheat sheets, 1 spot above Ingram. Greene is one of the most over-hyped players, and when you look at his stats, I'm not sure why. On one of the run-heaviest offenses in the entire NFL, in TWO SEASONS Greene has compiled a total of 1300 rushing yards and a whopping 4 TDS (over 2 seasons!). In fact, he has more fumbles lost (5) than TDs (4)!!! This is a guy who couldn't beat out 31-yr old Thomas Jones or a 31-yr old LT for the starting gig!

And now, just because the Jets are saying that Greene is (finally) going to be the 'bell cow' this year, we're supposed to assume he's going to be a world-beater? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sorry about the tirade, I just don't see that Greene has done anything in his entire NFL career to substantiate so much hype and such a high fantasy ranking. And yes, before you flip it around on me, I'm aware that Ingram doesn't even have an NFL career yet...but that simply means he hasn't disappointed yet.....which Greene has.....twice. =)

While this is very true, I'm not willing to spend a high pick on Ingram when I can get Greene in the 6th.

Ah, that is a different scenario altogether. I was saying that if I had to choose between Ingram and Greene in the 3rd round, I'd take Ingram. But I'd have no problem taking Greene in the 6th, especially since Ingram would already be gone so I wouldn't have to choose between them. However, since I play in a 10-team league, I don't think Greene will last to the 6th anyway! =)

We'll learn more about Ingram's pro career in one preseason NFL game than we learned about it in three years at Alabama.

which preseason game so I can make sure I watch.