[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Derrick Mason to Jets

montster

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id...son-agree-terms

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets added another big name to their receiving corps, agreeing to terms Saturday with former Baltimore Raven Derrick Mason.

Mason, 37, cut last week by the Ravens, arrived Thursday morning, met with team officials, took a physical and returned to his Nashville home to make the decision. He knows coach Rex Ryan, a former Ravens assistant, from their years in Baltimore.

"After a lot of very thoughtful and careful consideration, conversations with my family and prayer, I have decided to sign with the New York Jets," Mason told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. "I'm looking forward to working under Rex and rejoining some familiar faces."

On Friday, Ryan didn't seem too optimistic about the Jets' chances, saying other teams wanted Mason. His two former teams, the Ravens and Tennessee Titans, were also interested.

"I'm sure he'd have to leave money on the table to come here," Ryan had said.

Terms of Mason's deal were not disclosed.

The addition of Mason completes a stunning makeover to the Jets' receiving corps. Five days ago, they signed Plaxico Burress, who hasn't played in two years because he served 20 months in jail for weapons possession. They re-signed Santonio Holmes, but said goodbye to Jerricho Cotchery (released) and free agents Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith, who signed with the San Francisco 49ers and Buffalo Bills, respectively.

Mason has an impressive resume, including eight 1,000-yard seasons. His production dropped last year (61 catches, 802 yards), but he tied for the Ravens' team lead with seven touchdown catches.

Mason probably will be the Jets' No. 3 receiver, used in the slot. He's still quick in and out of his breaks and can be effective against zone coverage, according to one scout, but he will struggle to gain separation against man-to-man.

Mason is the Ravens' all-time leading receiver in yards and receptions. Mason is the only player in NFL history to produce at least 5,000 total return yards and 11,000 receiving yards, and his 924 career receptions rank 12th in NFL history. Mason owns the top three reception seasons in Ravens franchise history and also posted four of his eight career 1,000-yard campaigns in Baltimore.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Great acquisition by the JETS. The guy can still run routes and catch balls like a madman. What a great security blanket to go along with Dustin Keller for Sanchez. If Plaxico is somehow still a a good deep threat, this offense might be kinda good. :wacko:

Great acquisition by the JETS. The guy can still run routes and catch balls like a madman. What a great security blanket to go along with Dustin Keller for Sanchez. If Plaxico is somehow still a a good deep threat, this offense might be kinda good. :wacko:

This is GREAT news to wake up to today! Mason still has plenty in the tank and is the ideal WR for Sanchise at this point in his career. IMO, this was a need as great as keeping Santonio Holmes.

HOWEVER, I am still of the belief that we need to utilize the TE more...Dustin Keller is a great weapon and needs to be unleashed. The Mason signing means fewer balls to go around. Will it keep Holmes, Plax, and Keller happy?

This is GREAT news to wake up to today! Mason still has plenty in the tank and is the ideal WR for Sanchise at this point in his career. IMO, this was a need as great as keeping Santonio Holmes.

HOWEVER, I am still of the belief that we need to utilize the TE more...Dustin Keller is a great weapon and needs to be unleashed. The Mason signing means fewer balls to go around. Will it keep Holmes, Plax, and Keller happy?

Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps I'm wrong but Mason will probably just run the short underneath routes to keep the chains moving. Holmes and Burress will still get their deep shots. If anything, this could just mean less targets for Keller... who, as you mentioned, should be more involved.

I think "usurped" is kind of a strong word since their stats were basically even with Boldin slightly ahead. I also think the reason for this is complicated and goes beyond pure talent level. I think one would have to examine everything from playcalls to quarterback play. That's not to say Mason can't be a benefit to the Jet offense, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took him much longer to fit in with the team. The Jets ran one of the most conservative offenses in the league last year and have since Sanchez was installed as the starter. They were in the bottom 10 in the NFL 3+ WR set frequency. So getting Mason on the field will be a bit of a change for the the QB and the offense. I guess I'm just skeptical here.

Go Mason, Im a Big fan of this dinosaur. Still has play making ability which we all saw last year when he usurped the younger and stronger Boldin as #1 in Balt. Good pick up for Jets who are trying to make a playoff run for real.