[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shannon Sharpe

Brentastic

Ok, so I'm doing some fantasy football analysis with NFLN in the background which is showing the 2011 Hall of Fame Post-Enshrinement Ceremony. I'm pretty sure Shannon Sharpe is trying to get into the movies but man, is he over doing it. I've never been so annoyed by anything in my life. They showed part of his speech and now they're interviewing him on the set and it's just too much. Dude, stop the dramatic pauses. Better yet, just stop talking because nobody cares.

Whew, thanks for listening. Anybody else know what I'm talking about? Michael Irvin's speech was real, it was from the heart. Sharpe just seems like he's acting :wacko:

Dent was the one that droned on and on and on and on...

I can't believe somebody didn't tackle him.

On the other hand, what an ultimate honor. Let them speak as long as they desire.

THEY HAVE EARNED IT!!!

Your political or home team bias have no place on this day...

as much as Sharpe tried to make it sound like it was all for his grandmother, it was about him. how he's a self-made man.

when he talked about when his grandmother died, he didn't say "i love you, thank you". he said "are you proud of me? are you proud of

the man i've become?"

he talked about, and without apology, how he was so driven to achieve in football that he sacrificed and missed things with his kids because he was training or working out. again, about him.

to me he came off as egotistical when he in his own mind thought he was being humble and thankful and honoring his grandmother.

i liked Deion's speech for how well he presented it. but again, i don't buy that everything he did was for his mother. maybe in the beginning he had the motivation to help her but i'm not buying that "Primetime" was to benefit her. anyone who saw him in his early career wouldn't either. the money was there with or without Primetime. maybe just not the extra few million he got because of the persona.

Deion was the biggest phony. Once he got to the part about his mama, the fake crying started. The tight camera shots showed no tears. I also had trouble reconciling all the Jesus talk with his special guests, Snoop and Ice Cube. Where Michael Irvin showed some humility and character with his speech (as much as I still can't stand him), Deion just reinforced my opinion that he's full of crap.

Never was a fan of Sharpe as a sports telecaster, always playing the joker a tad bit too much during the pregame show...but his HOF speech showed a different side of him to me. Yes, it may have really been about him as much as his family struggles, but I believed it was real and came from the heart. In my opinion, he blew away all other speeches last night

So it appears most of you bought it hook, line and sinker :wacko:

Seriously though, I didn't hear the whole speech, just a 3 minute clip on NFLN and the interview on the post show. I didn't hear any of the other speeches either. Sharpe just couldn't stop talking (long dramatic pause)...... like he was giving a sermon (long dramatic pause)..... It all sounded very self-serving.... I guess he deserves the moment (cue halo glow in the background).

It's not like I'm a Sharpe hater - I had no problem with him or his personality as a player. I almost guarantee he ends up in a movie or on TV sometime, however, he failed his audition, imo.

So it appears most of you bought it hook, line and sinker :wacko:

Seriously though, I didn't hear the whole speech, just a 3 minute clip on NFLN and the interview on the post show. I didn't hear any of the other speeches either. Sharpe just couldn't stop talking (long dramatic pause)...... like he was giving a sermon (long dramatic pause)..... It all sounded very self-serving.... I guess he deserves the moment (cue halo glow in the background).

It's not like I'm a Sharpe hater - I had no problem with him or his personality as a player. I almost guarantee he ends up in a movie or on TV sometime, however, he failed his audition, imo.

How can you make such a harsh judgment when you admit that you only watched a few minutes of his speech? SS is passionate about his upbringing and his journey to become a great man. He was asking for his Grandmother's acceptance because she meant the world to him. Regardless of how you perceived the 15% of his speech that you saw he did a great job being honest about his mistakes and failures as a friend and as a father. IMO, that is noble and admirable. Clearly, you missed it.

How can you make such a harsh judgment when you admit that you only watched a few minutes of his speech? SS is passionate about his upbringing and his journey to become a great man. He was asking for his Grandmother's acceptance because she meant the world to him. Regardless of how you perceived the 15% of his speech that you saw he did a great job being honest about his mistakes and failures as a friend and as a father. IMO, that is noble and admirable. Clearly, you missed it.

I also heard him blab for about 20 minutes on NFLN and it's just the way he talks that bugs me. Too much acting for me - didn't seem sincere.

i did appreciate the anecdote about the last preseason game in his first year when the coaches told him the night before that he was on the board to be cut after the game. that he should play as hard as he can so another team might get a look at him and give him a shot. then the next day his name was off the board given how he'd played from the line of scrimmage and on ST.

those are the kind of stories that make these speeches interesting.

So it appears most of you bought it hook, line and sinker :tup:

So, basically you have no perspective to have created this thread to begin with, and as such your opinion is irrelevant.

Not sure why you personally hate Shannon, but let it go. He might be the best TE ever or at least that's what the record books tend to indicate. :wacko:

Thought Sharpe was the best speech of the night, followed by Faulk.

Deion is about Deion. To say you were ashamed of your Mama because she worked at a hospital so you could have everything you had was shocking. To keep saying so your mama would never have to work again, guess what most Americans have to work, and many others are trying to get a job, why should your mama be different. That rubbed me the wrong way.

And the thing with the kids is also about Deion. He trys kids out to play ball with his boys team, so he can beat the other pee wee teams around the metroplex. Its not new Deion, its called select ball, and if you are paying for them to play for your team, arent you just buying those trophies you are so proud.

Now he wants to open a private school for his athletes. Can you imagine a school called Truth, and Deion is the head master. Now that is funny, I dont care who you are. :wacko:

Edited by Brent

I really enjoyed Shannon giving props to his brother. Saying he was the only member in the HOF, who was the 2nd best the best player in his own family. Sterling is a classy guy, and I do think the NFL should take a hard look at him and Terrell Davis for what they accomplished in an injury shortened career.

Deion is about Deion. To say you were ashamed of your Mama because she worked at a hospital so you could have everything you had was shocking. To keep saying so your mama would never have to work again, guess what most Americans have to work, and many others are trying to get a job, why should your mama be different. That rubbed me the wrong way.

Have to say I agree with you on this. I was shocked the way Deion kept saying he was ashamed of his Mama because she "pushed a cart around a hospital"? Hey Deion ..... you shouldn't be ashamed of your Mom for doing what it took to support your family. You should be proud of her. Honestly, I felt bad for his Mom in the crowd. While I understand the motivation for him to be able to provide an income for her so she never had to work again to say he was ashamed of her sounded callous, insensitive and IMO sends the wrong impression to the kids he is trying to impact.

Deion was the biggest phony. Once he got to the part about his mama, the fake crying started. The tight camera shots showed no tears. I also had trouble reconciling all the Jesus talk with his special guests, Snoop and Ice Cube. Where Michael Irvin showed some humility and character with his speech (as much as I still can't stand him), Deion just reinforced my opinion that he's full of crap.

gasp

racist.

lol - I'm so upset that I missed that whole 3-ring circus. At least that's keeping in line with the NFL's ongoing theme though.

I wish all millionaires, and every one else, had the humility and grace that the Sharps demonstrate.

The only problem is the humility and grace kinda goes by the wayside when they start talking.