[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shannon Sharpe

Brentastic

Deion is about Deion. To say you were ashamed of your Mama because she worked at a hospital so you could have everything you had was shocking. To keep saying so your mama would never have to work again, guess what most Americans have to work, and many others are trying to get a job, why should your mama be different. That rubbed me the wrong way.

This is why these guys need to hire writers for their speeches. Deion was saying that as a child, one who didn't know any better, he was ashamed and that was one of the things that drove him. That's a great message. It would have been greater if he had followed that up with "and what she taught me, pushing that cart around, is how much love she had for me, doing whatever she had to do to provide for me. What I then thought was shame was actually pride, I just didn't know it yet - thanks mama for one of the countless things you taught me."

I loved the message in his speech, it was just ruined by his lust for the spotlight. Same thing to a smaller extent with Sharpe. Line of the night admitting his brother was the better player.

I really enjoyed Shannon giving props to his brother. Saying he was the only member in the HOF, who was the 2nd best the best player in his own family. Sterling is a classy guy, and I do think the NFL should take a hard look at him and Terrell Davis for what they accomplished in an injury shortened career.

Could Bruce Matthews have said that too?

This is why these guys need to hire writers for their speeches. Deion was saying that as a child, one who didn't know any better, he was ashamed and that was one of the things that drove him. That's a great message. It would have been greater if he had followed that up with "and what she taught me, pushing that cart around, is how much love she had for me, doing whatever she had to do to provide for me. What I then thought was shame was actually pride, I just didn't know it yet - thanks mama for one of the countless things you taught me."

i didn't mind Deion's speech. if someone thought he was belittling his mother then they missed the message. just as you say, he was speaking with reference to teenage insecurities, not understanding then that his mother was doing everything she could for him.

again, i just didn't buy that "everything" he did was for or because of his mother. i would guess Deion wasn't a selfless gentleman throughout his college and pro career...in fact, we all know better. he wouldn't have needed to find God after his car crash if that was the case. :wacko:

I loved the message in his speech, it was just ruined by his lust for the spotlight. Same thing to a smaller extent with Sharpe. Line of the night admitting his brother was the better player.

+1