[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best way to structure a 12 team league

BS Miscreant

Ok, so this is a great sampling of leagues because some of the potential sticking points jump right out at you. Unless I'm missing something...

- League #1 Hooterville Implants made the playoffs at 5-9 due to the "high points wildcard"? I like the high pts wildcard idea though.

- League #2 has a division winner with a losing record who only outscored 1 team for the season.

- League #3 has several teams that have been out of the running for several weeks by the time the season ends.

- League #4 not only has a division winner(El Valluco) with a losing record but they didn't even win a division game.

Thanks Grits. None of these remarks are intended to be critiques of the specific leagues. I just wanted to point out some of the issues that are already being brought up by our owners.

Personally I'm leaning toward 3 Divisions of 4 with 6 teams making the playoffs. It seems to at least be a sort of middle ground. We'll just have to deal with not playing the one team or figure out a way to play one double header each. 2 divisions has too many teams out it early. 4 divisions there's not enough competitive balance.

Its hard not to see the obvious flaws ... the simple fact that you point them out doesn't make you a bad guy. In league #4 several times I have been the good team left out of the playoffs because I couldn't win the division ... while a sub-par team makes the playoffs. But if you think about it ... it can happen in the NFL too. Anyway I was finally able to change the payout structure so that division winners didn't receive a bigger payout. Now our payouts are based on your final finish in the league (everybody plays until they have lost 2 games in the playoffs or until they have won the superbowl / toilet bowl) ... straight percentage of the kitty based on final ranking.

In my local, 8/12 teams make the playoffs. It's a lot, but it makes it fun. The other four teams go to a toilet bowl tourney. In many years, the top team ends up getting beaten by the eighth team in the opening round.

We have three divisions. Each team plays every other team once. Each team also plays every division team twice. We get this done by having a double header in week 13. Lots of different playoff scenarios end up coming down to that last week.