[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best way to structure a 12 team league

BS Miscreant

preference?

3 divisions, 6 playoff teams (though some prefer only 4)

or you could do 2 divisions but them set-up is better for 4 playoff teams IMO

or 1 large division

are you using double-headers or all-play as well? That could change things too

A lot depends on what the league members want. 4 or 6 playoff teams work best.

With 4 playoff teams, can use a 14-week regular season, so can do 3 divisions with 4 team each, then 2 divisional games each and 1 each anainst all other teams. 3 division winners and 1 wildcard.

Or for 6 playoff games, go to 13 regular season games, go with the 3 divisions, but 1 non-divisional matchup will be lost. 3 division winners and 3 wildcards,

I forgot

you could have 4 division too. probably want 6 teams in the playoffs then though

or 6 divisions but then no wildcard teams. I would avoid more than 6 or an odd amount greater than 3

A lot depends on what the league members want. 4 or 6 playoff teams work best.

With 4 playoff teams, can use a 14-week regular season, so can do 3 divisions with 4 team each, then 2 divisional games each and 1 each anainst all other teams. 3 division winners and 1 wildcard.

Or for 6 playoff games, go to 13 regular season games, go with the 3 divisions, but 1 non-divisional matchup will be lost. 3 division winners and 3 wildcards,

We do it this way in one league (3 divisions, 6 playoff teams) and I love it... It would be nice to be able to play each non-division team once (though I guess you could throw in a double header for that), but really not much of a sacrifice to have 1 random team you don't face.

With 4 divisions of 3 teams each, you play your division members twice and everyone else in the league once. Six teams make the playoffs, the four division winners plus two wildcards. Makes for some VERY interesting match-ups down the stretch.

Done it this way for nine years in two leagues, and we all like it that way...

I think 3 division with 6 teams in the playoffs is the "std" but each league does it their own way.

The one thing I like about my new league this year is they are getting rid of the TE position and just making all TEs WR... It allows everyone to draft the best person rather than taking Gates in the 3 rd cause he's the best at his position (and honestly he's split out most of the time anyhow....) I think once people try a rule like that and it works it tends to catch on.

We have 3 divisions of 4 teams each. You play each team in your division twice so that's 6 games there. Then you play the other 8 teams once for a total of 14 games. We play a double-header week 3 before byes start and most teams haven't hit the injury bug too hard yet. That means the regular season ends week 13. We then have the division winners make the playoffs plus the next best 3 teams. The 2 division winners with the best record get the opening week bye. We choose divisions out of a hat so it's random. Super Bowl is week 16.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

We have 3 divisions of 4 teams each. You play each team in your division twice so that's 6 games there. Then you play the other 8 teams once for a total of 14 games. We play a double-header week 3 before byes start and most teams haven't hit the injury bug too hard yet. That means the regular season ends week 13. We then have the division winners make the playoffs plus the next best 3 teams. The 2 division winners with the best record get the opening week bye. We choose divisions out of a hat so it's random. Super Bowl is week 16.

This is what we do. Half the guys hate double header week others like it. Both years I won the championship I lost that week and started 1-4 lol.

We have 4 divisions of 3 teams each ... this allows every team to play division mates twice each and all other teams once. I like this format except that with 4 division winners making the playoffs you sometimes get a crappy division winner and a good team is left out of the playoffs. We also allow two natural wild cards into the playoffs.

Apparently the 7 responses you've gotten in the past 24 hours weren't too useful to you, else you'd have commented...Bump. :wacko:

Good point Wolf. I was still taking it all in. That "original" remark came after the post had 60+ views and no replies, thus the simplification of the wording.

Here is how I do it:

2 divisions

13 week regular season

3 of those weeks are double headers

**Thus every team plays division opponents 2 times (5 + 5 = 10)

**Thus every team plays out-of-division 1 time (6)

**Give you your total(13 weeks + 3 double headers = 16 = 10 division + 6 out-of-division)

Division winners get a bye.

best 4 teams overall make the playoffs.

I set up the playoffs NCAA bracket style.

That would be great. I'd like that very much.

This BOTH league has 3 divisions of 4 teams - optional 2 player keeper league (keepers can only be retained max of 3 years). 6 playoff teams - 3 division winners, high points wildcard, 2 natural wildcards

http://football11.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/10962#0

This BOTH league has 4 divisions of 3 teams within 2 conferences - mandatory 3 keeper league, no time limit on keepers. 6 playoff teams - 4 division winners and a wildcard from each conference.

http://football7.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/35730#0

This BOTH league has 2 conferences with 6 teams each - this is an auction style league that terms itself a dynasty league but with the salary recalculations you can never keep many of your players and contracts expire after 3 years. 4 playoff teams - 2 division winners and a wildcard from each division. Playoff format is that each conference division winner plays the wildcard from the same conference to send a representative to the SB.

http://football3.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/29211#0

This is my local league with 4 divisions of 3 teams - pure redraft. 6 playoff teams - 4 division winners and two natural wildcards.

http://football6.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/22729#0

All have 5+ years of history.

This BOTH league has 3 divisions of 4 teams - optional 2 player keeper league (keepers can only be retained max of 3 years). 6 playoff teams - 3 division winners, high points wildcard, 2 natural wildcards

http://football11.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/10962#0

This BOTH league has 4 divisions of 3 teams within 2 conferences - mandatory 3 keeper league, no time limit on keepers. 6 playoff teams - 4 division winners and a wildcard from each conference.

http://football7.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/35730#0

This BOTH league has 2 conferences with 6 teams each - this is an auction style league that terms itself a dynasty league but with the salary recalculations you can never keep many of your players and contracts expire after 3 years. 4 playoff teams - 2 division winners and a wildcard from each division. Playoff format is that each conference division winner plays the wildcard from the same conference to send a representative to the SB.

http://football3.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/29211#0

This is my local league with 4 divisions of 3 teams - pure redraft. 6 playoff teams - 4 division winners and two natural wildcards.

http://football6.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/22729#0

All have 5+ years of history.

Ok, so this is a great sampling of leagues because some of the potential sticking points jump right out at you. Unless I'm missing something...

- League #1 Hooterville Implants made the playoffs at 5-9 due to the "high points wildcard"? I like the high pts wildcard idea though.

- League #2 has a division winner with a losing record who only outscored 1 team for the season.

- League #3 has several teams that have been out of the running for several weeks by the time the season ends.

- League #4 not only has a division winner(El Valluco) with a losing record but they didn't even win a division game.

Thanks Grits. None of these remarks are intended to be critiques of the specific leagues. I just wanted to point out some of the issues that are already being brought up by our owners.

Personally I'm leaning toward 3 Divisions of 4 with 6 teams making the playoffs. It seems to at least be a sort of middle ground. We'll just have to deal with not playing the one team or figure out a way to play one double header each. 2 divisions has too many teams out it early. 4 divisions there's not enough competitive balance.