[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The effect of a viable WR2 on stud WRs

detlef

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it does :wacko:

Sound waves are still made. The fact that there is no one to hear it is irrelevant.

But isn't the nature of sound a perception of those waves? They are pressure waves, not sound waves, until they hit an ear.

I love watching arguments when one side is not appreciating the fundamental beginning point of the other side. Seems the real football v. Fantasy football aspect was clear from the opening bell, but could have been absolutely clear by making the implicit explicit.

:tup: you just don't get it.

Just because there may be a little extra room for the WR1 to operate doesn't mean "greater opportunity for many stud WRs". Let's try to be real simple here, BB, since I think you are a tad overwhelmed by he concept:

In year 1, WR1 is the only decent receiver on his team. He is doubled almost every play. But he gets a hugh amount of targets thrown his way. Say, maybe 170-180 (like White, Wayne and Fitz last year). But because they are doubled, they can only haul in 110-115 of those passes, for a 63-65% completion rate. Thats about what White and Wayne caught last season. Heck, Fitz was actually way less...just 52%.

Now in Year 2, they add solid WR2, which does indeed open things up for WR1 a bit. But because there is a another viable option to throw to, WR1s targets go down from 170 to 140. So even though he has more a little more room to get open, and can now catch 75% of the balls thrown his way, he only has 105 receptions. In fact, he'd have to catch almost 80% to just equal his prior year's receptions. He'd need a whopping 85% (119 receptions) to have what I would call a meaningful increase in production.

Those types of completion percentages just ain't gonna happen. So unless the WR1 gets the same amount of targets as he had in prior years, even with the addition of the solid WR2, you won't see a noticeable increase in production.

And again, if you disagree, please provide me an example of your theory. So far, you haven't provided even one :wacko:

on point - done and done

while I am sure BB and Seahawks 21 make fine defensive coordinators on Madden, the detailed defensive coverage breakdown is funny, and beyond ridiculous, good times fellas.....

I don't think there's any question that having a viable WR2 helps the team, and the WR1 as well, in terms of their chances to win games. Just like a baseball player is better off with a solid hitter hitting behind them, and a basketball team is better off with multiple scoring options than just one. The more options you have, the better off you are, basically. Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but it seems that some people are confusing whether or not a WR2 benefits the team, versus whether or not it benefits the WR1's fantasy production.

The question is whether or not it ALWAYS makes a positive difference (for the WR1), fantasy-wise, and I don't think that can be said. In other words, there MAY be cases where a solid WR2 helps the WR1 produce better fantasy numbers, but I think there are also cases (and I would say MORE cases) where a WR1 benefits (again, speaking strictly in terms of fantasy numbers) by the lack of a solid WR2.

For example, do you think Brandon Marshall would have gotten 25 (or whatever the number was) targets last season, in the game where he caught 20+ balls, had there been another very solid option for MIA? He had that many targets because he is/was head and shoulders better than any other option they had, plain and simple. Well, that and the fact that the DB simply couldn't stop him from catching the ball. But, either way, I don't think Marshall is getting 25 targets if he's got somebody solid lining up on the other side of the field.

on point - done and done

while I am sure BB and Seahawks 21 make fine defensive coordinators on Madden, the detailed defensive coverage breakdown is funny, and beyond ridiculous, good times fellas.....

Yayyy!! Good to see ya again bud! Thought something might have been wrong with ya. My coat tails missed ya.