[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for the fairest waiver wire system

Pitbull739

I am commish of a local redraft league, this is year #18 with almost all of the same group. Every year we have the same arguments about the waiver wire system. For most years, it has been first come first served. We have modified it a few times, charged for transactions, expanded rosters, went with a reverse standings waiver priority system, even tried to incorporate a "gentlemens agreement" for backups due to injury but yet every year there are complaints. I just wish I could find one to stick with that works for everyone. We have not tried the blind bidding system; I think it sounds like the fairest giving everyone an opportunity at the same players. Any thoughts on waiver systems that we have not tried that seem to work for your leagues? Appreciate your comments, thanks.

IMO, the blind bidding system is the most fair. If you want a certain player, you have to spend the money to get them. If you don't get them, you have no one to blame but yourself. This is what I wish our league would switch to.

But for the time being, we use a waiver wire that get's set after week 1 based on record (from worst to first). Then if you make a transaction, you get dropped to the bottom.

Edited by buddahj

Blind bidding. $100 for the season, with $0 minimum for players. 2 days of blind bidding then, FCFS for the rest of the week.

Bling bidding is the fairest way to do it. The guys that really pay attention know how much a player should cost, and the guys that don't pay attention are $hit out of luck. When a big name guy goes down and his backup is available, everyone bids for the guy, the highest bidder wins. Simple. No argueing over who had the highest waiver wire slot, or if the studs owner should get the backup. Simple, fair, strategic. You won't go back to any other system.

Blind bidding. $100 for the season, with $0 minimum for players. 2 days of blind bidding then, FCFS for the rest of the week.

Bling bidding is the fairest way to do it. The guys that really pay attention know how much a player should cost, and the guys that don't pay attention are $hit out of luck. When a big name guy goes down and his backup is available, everyone bids for the guy, the highest bidder wins. Simple. No argueing over who had the highest waiver wire slot, or if the studs owner should get the backup. Simple, fair, strategic. You won't go back to any other system.

How is this managed, meaning I would assume that which ever website your league is running with, would have to have this type of WW system listed as a pre set option? I am co-commish in my league and would love to implement this, but we use Yahoo, and I don't think this is an option. Ours is set from week 1 based on draft position, if you make a transaction, you go to the bottom of the queue.

The only thing I don't like about blind-bidding is that you can be bidding agianst yourself... For instance, say I'm willnig to spend $100 of my dollars, but as it turns out, no one else is either interested or remembers to place a bid on him. You could very well be overpaying significantly (though this does of course add to the strategy, so perhaps I'm splitting hairs)...

In my local, we lock players down at their game time, and teams can place waiver claims up until Tuesday at midnight (or whenever you choose), with the one with highest waiver order priority awarded the player. This prevents owners who are sitting at their computers during games to hoard all of the breakout/injury replacements while others might be at a game or out on the weekend.

After the point at which waivers close, then we go first-come-first-serve for the rest of the week until players are locked for the game time for the next week. This allows owners to pick up FAs as substitutes for late-scratches and questionable players and such...

I believe this is a fairly common system that you might even be able to do on Yahoo, ESPN sites, without necessarily needing MFL (though I'm not positive)..

How is this managed, meaning I would assume that which ever website your league is running with, would have to have this type of WW system listed as a pre set option? I am co-commish in my league and would love to implement this, but we use Yahoo, and I don't think this is an option. Ours is set from week 1 based on draft position, if you make a transaction, you go to the bottom of the queue.

If it's not supported set up a new @yahoo.com email box that owners can send bids to - commissioners included. When the time period is up, commish reads email and assigns players to the rosters, tracking the money manually. If your FF host doesn't support blind bidding you don't have much other choice.

This is an option for Yahoo leagues.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports/fa...rafts/faab.html

Not sure if you can change it after you've setup your league. I've never used Yahoo for FF, just ESPN and MFL.

The only thing I don't like about blind-bidding is that you can be bidding agianst yourself... For instance, say I'm willnig to spend $100 of my dollars, but as it turns out, no one else is either interested or remembers to place a bid on him. You could very well be overpaying significantly (though this does of course add to the strategy, so perhaps I'm splitting hairs)...

You nailed it that the beauty of the blind bid system is not only is it fair to all teams in the league as everyone starts on equal footing, but there is actual strategy involved in terms of determining hos much you are willing to bid.

i like the idea of FAAB , but what if 2 of your 4 running backs get hurt one week and your other 2 RB's are on their bye the next week which leaves you with 0 RB's for that week ? let's say you bid on 3 or 4 RB's but you only want 2 of them , yet nobody else bids on any of them and you get all 4 and blow all your money ? is there some kind of priority option involved that could help with that ?

Edited by budweiser

i like the idea of FAAB , but what if 2 of your 4 running backs get hurt one week and your other 2 RB's are on their bye the next week which leaves you with 0 RB's for that week ? let's say you bid on 3 or 4 RB's but you only want 2 of them , yet nobody else bids on any of them and you get all 4 and blow all your money ? is there some kind of priority option involved that could help with that ?

Declare the same drop player for some of the bids. Then you can only get the top accepted bid.

Risk is if you don;t win any player with the same dropped player but would have won both with the other dropped player. That is one limitation to Yahoo that most of the pay league managers allow - conditional blind bidding. ie you can set it up such that you bid x amount of a player, drop this guy, if I don;t get him, bid x amount on another player dropping same player, and so on. You can set this up for as many conditional bids that you want. Great way to ensure that you get someone (especially useful for kicker and defense bye coverage)

Myfantasyfootballleague has an option that does the work for you for a blind bid system. As mentioned, my leagues do a 100pt season waiver salary cap. Typically bids are do in by Wednesday, executed on Wednesday evening, and then an open waiver period opens up on Thursday evening until Sunday. Fair and works like a champ.

Agreed, and exactly what we do in my leagues.

In my local, we lock players down at their game time, and teams can place waiver claims up until Tuesday at midnight (or whenever you choose), with the one with highest waiver order priority awarded the player. This prevents owners who are sitting at their computers during games to hoard all of the breakout/injury replacements while others might be at a game or out on the weekend.

After the point at which waivers close, then we go first-come-first-serve for the rest of the week until players are locked for the game time for the next week. This allows owners to pick up FAs as substitutes for late-scratches and questionable players and such...

I believe this is a fairly common system that you might even be able to do on Yahoo, ESPN sites, without necessarily needing MFL (though I'm not positive)..

Part of the beauty of BB is tha added challenge and strategy, IMO

If it's not supported set up a new @yahoo.com email box that owners can send bids to - commissioners included. When the time period is up, commish reads email and assigns players to the rosters, tracking the money manually. If your FF host doesn't support blind bidding you don't have much other choice.

Been in a league where this was done. Works fine as long as you have an honest commish...

You nailed it that the beauty of the blind bid system is not only is it fair to all teams in the league as everyone starts on equal footing, but there is actual strategy involved in terms of determining hos much you are willing to bid.

Sums it up

• 3 years later...

We are trying something new this year. We are using the all play record as the waiver wire order. Obviously worst record gets first pick. Total points is the tiebreaker. With half the teams at 1-1 after the second week, it really shows who might be the stronger teams, therefore they pick further down. Of course no system is perfect, but as the season moves along, I think it is a good indicator of who is strong and who needs help, thus they get better pick preference. Just a thought! Good luck!