[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Female officiating?

rajncajn

Female officials coming soon to the NFL

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 13, 2011, 1:43 PM EDT

sarahthomas AP

The NFL has never had a woman work as an on-field game official. That may change soon.

NFL V.P. of Officiating I'M A TOOL Johnson told Jane McManus of ESPN.com that he expects to hire a female official.

“We have some in our pipeline, and I expect we’ll see it soon,” Johnson said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...oon-to-the-nfl/

Personally I've got no problem with it. As long as they are well versed in the rules, can keep up, can put up with the trash talk on the field without getting easily offended, have the balls to make the right call (some of the men don't) and can take a good lick (no pun intended :wacko: ). They can't be any worse than some of the geriatric crew they have out there now.

Edited by rajncajn

This is cerifiable.

Eventually one of these guys will go out of their way to take out a woman ref. Now I know some women are damned tough broads, but then there is a certain element of players in the league that most likely aren't the most highly educated or socially enlightened creatures, and you're going to see one of these mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging gargantuans totally trash one of the women refs, and it's gonna be ugly. It very well could happen as a complete accident, but I shudder to think of the outcome if one of the guys, who wants to make a statement that some things are inherently male, targets one of the fairer sex on the field and blindsides the poor thing (making it look like a complete accident, of course).

I sure as hell don't want to see the outcome of that, and while some few who hate women might enjoy watching it happen I'd guess most football fans won't enjoy the aftermath either.

It's okay for guys to have some things that women are excluded from - just as the reverse is true. Despite the claims of some of those hags at the NOW board, men and women are physiologically different and always will be (thank all the Gods that there are). This is a bad, bad idea.

This is cerifiable.

Eventually one of these guys will go out of their way to take out a woman ref. Now I know some women are damned tough broads, but then there is a certain element of players in the league that most likely aren't the most highly educated or socially enlightened creatures, and you're going to see one of these mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging gargantuans totally trash one of the women refs, and it's gonna be ugly. It very well could happen as a complete accident, but I shudder to think of the outcome if one of the guys, who wants to make a statement that some things are inherently male, targets one of the fairer sex on the field and blindsides the poor thing (making it look like a complete accident, of course).

I sure as hell don't want to see the outcome of that, and while some few who hate women might enjoy watching it happen I'd guess most football fans won't enjoy the aftermath either.

It's okay for guys to have some things that women are excluded from - just as the reverse is true. Despite the claims of some of those hags at the NOW board, men and women are physiologically different and always will be (thank all the Gods that there are). This is a bad, bad idea.

They already do that now. We've seen players plow over old men in the past few seasons just because they got in their way. I don't see how this is any different.

They already do that now. We've seen players plow over old men in the past few seasons just because they got in their way. I don't see how this is any different.

It's not different at all. Some of the current officials are old, slow, etc. I'd assume that if a female official is good enough to work an NFL game, that she's probably more "athletic" than some of the current schlubs that are out there presently.

That said, football is rife with "ego" and "machismo", even more so than the NBA, one could argue. And there was significant backlash to female officials in that sport.

As a lifelong gambler who has lost many a game because of a ref, I encourage more of this

This is cerifiable.

Got to agree with this, though I think it is more likely to just be a horrific accident...

I look at it like the issue of female cops. I have no problem if it's some huge butch lady who can handle a grown man and cuff him, but I remember seeing a video of this petite lady officer who gets laid out by this big dude during a traffic stop. She had no chance when he started swinging....

So same goes here. If you can show that you're physically strong and tough enough to handle the beating you may endure, then I have no issue, but equality just for the sake of equality does no one any favors when it comes to being physically capable to handle the position...

Got to agree with this, though I think it is more likely to just be a horrific accident...

I look at it like the issue of female cops. I have no problem if it's some huge butch lady who can handle a grown man and cuff him, but I remember seeing a video of this petite lady officer who gets laid out by this big dude during a traffic stop. She had no chance when he started swinging....

So same goes here. If you can show that you're physically strong and tough enough to handle the beating you may endure, then I have no issue, but equality just for the sake of equality does no one any favors when it comes to being physically capable to handle the position...

So we shouldn't allow anyone to be a cop if they're under six feet tall and 200 pounds? A little guy can get laid out just as easily as a woman.

This is cerifiable.

This post is certifiable. Probably the dumbest thing you've written, and that's saying something.

So we shouldn't allow anyone to be a cop if they're under six feet tall and 200 pounds? A little guy can get laid out just as easily as a woman.

If I see a broken guy carried off the field for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I feel badly but consider it part of the game. If I see a broken woman carried off the same way, that's something completely different - IMO of course.

Say what you want, I want no part of it. I'll also throw out that I'm sexist enough that I don't want to see women intruding that far into the NFL. You want women in the NFL? Put 'em in skimpy outfits and let them lead cheers on the sidelines, or hold a microphone and ask inane questions and make inane observations on the sidelines.

Stay out of the locker room, and stay from between the lines.

If I see a broken guy carried off the field for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I feel badly but consider it part of the game. If I see a broken woman carried off the same way, that's something completely different - IMO of course.

Say what you want, I want no part of it. I'll also throw out that I'm sexist enough that I don't want to see women intruding that far into the NFL. You want women in the NFL? Put 'em in skimpy outfits and let them lead cheers on the sidelines, or hold a microphone and ask inane questions and make inane observations on the sidelines.

Stay out of the locker room, and stay from between the lines.

So it's ok for them to be the side judge?

My mistake, when I wrote that I assumed the false premise that women are not subject to the same physical standards as men are when training at the academy. I've come to read that it does not appear to be the case. Disregard that statement then, but I still feel like you gotta have some size on you to take a hit, accidental or not from an NFL player... We'll see how it goes...

So tired of this women's lib crap. Can we not have one sport that isn't filled with butch bulldog women trying to do jobs we don't want them to do. I already have to look at these shemales when I watched the NBA.

Enough already.

I agree about female cops, firefighter, and ambulance personal. They have to be able to do the job in order to save someone's life or protect someone.

Being a ref requires a person to have knowledge of the game, be trained what to look for and know how to handle players. A ref doesn't have to be in the best physical shape but they have to keep up with the play.

I could also see some fines being handed out for sexual harassment... That is the nature of a girl joining the boys club.....

The world changes. I have been assured that change is good. Sometimes I wonder. This will not really be an issue for me.

I am certain there are a dozen or more good Roethlisberger jokes in here somewhere. I'd make one myself involving females calling timeouts, but Steeler fans are still awefully sensitive about their guy, and there is no sense in upsetting them needlessly.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

The world changes. I have been asured that change is good. Sometimes I wonder. This will not really be an issue for me.

I am certain there are a dozen or more good Roethlisberger jokes in here somewhere. I'd make one myself involving females calling timeouts, but Steeler fans are still awefully sensitive about their guy and there is no sense in upsetting them needlessly.

:wacko: @ Big Ben lining up under a ref.