[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Johnson... Contract news?

dfv87

All right, I am officially starting to get nervous about my #1 keeper. Anybody got the latest and greatest on the contract status... I mean cmon already.

He WANTS to be the highest paid RB, they said he WILL be the highest paid RB, put a number on it and lets play! Am I missing something?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titans | Chris Johnson looking for big pay day

Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:41:40 -0700

Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson is believed to be looking for at least $30 million in guaranteed money included in any new contract he signs.

kffl.

He put a number on it.

All right, I am officially starting to get nervous about my #1 keeper. Anybody got the latest and greatest on the contract status... I mean cmon already.

He WANTS to be the highest paid RB, they said he WILL be the highest paid RB, put a number on it and lets play! Am I missing something?

They also said they wanted him to report before they did that.

They also said they wanted him to report before they did that.

I undrstand they want him there but he has a $900K salary now and is working on a roughly $25-30MM guarantied contract, if he reports and blows out his knee running sprints or has a major stationary bike accident he is out $25-30MM. I see why he is out, I just want them to get it done and get going.

I undrstand they want him there but he has a $900K salary now and is working on a roughly $25-30MM guarantied contract, if he reports and blows out his knee running sprints or has a major stationary bike accident he is out $25-30MM. I see why he is out, I just want them to get it done and get going.

I hope for his sake that he's not sitting on his ass even if he's not in camp. Can't he hurt himself training on his own?

That said, I don't know why he doesn't say, "I'll report tomorrow, along with my agent. Then we can all walk upstairs to the conference room and bang this thing out. Once that's done, I'll get dressed and hit the field."

I hope for his sake that he's not sitting on his ass even if he's not in camp. Can't he hurt himself training on his own?

That said, I don't know why he doesn't say, "I'll report tomorrow, along with my agent. Then we can all walk upstairs to the conference room and bang this thing out. Once that's done, I'll get dressed and hit the field."

WE HAVE A WINNER! That is what needs to happen, how can they all not see this?

He can still report and get into meetings - they have a new OC and are installing a new offense he needs to learn while they negotiate details for a week or so. Plus as Detlef pointed out he has to be doing some sort of activity on his own.

He can still report and get into meetings - they have a new OC and are installing a new offense he needs to learn while they negotiate details for a week or so.

Yep. I don't see why he doesn't show up, go to meetings, and stand on the sidelines at practice instead of not being around his teammates at all. :wacko: I can understand not working out or participating in practice until he gets his money.

sounds nice, but where is the offer? Have the Titans even made an offer? Give him a copy of the proposal to look at first so that he knows you mean business.

Like Emmitt Smith used to be, they don't want to go through camp anyway. I remember Emmitt doing this more than once

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

This was posted by Jim Wyatt (Titans' beat writer) earlier today:

I’m getting a lot of questions about where things stand with Chris Johnson following Mike Reinfeldt’s comment last week about making Johnson the highest paid running back in the league.

The answer: Nothing has changed.

The two sides remain in a stalemate because the Titans still refuse to make an offer and Johnson has dug in with his stance that he won’t show up until he gets one.

And right now, there’s no end in sight. Will either side eventually blink?

Reinfeldt’s stance sounds great to fans, but let’s be honest here: No one knows for sure what it means. Is the GM talking about paying Johnson more guaranteed money than any running back in the league, or giving him the highest average per year? Or maybe it’s total value? No one will know until pen goes to paper, and that hasn’t happened.

Indications are there’s another big stumbling block out there, and that’s deciding exactly what Johnson is worth. Johnson has said he wants at least $30 million in guaranteed money, and that’s significantly more than what Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams got in his recent deal. He received $21 million in guarantees. The $30 million is more than Steven Jackson got from the Rams – he received $20 million in bonuses with his deal in 2008.

Johnson considers himself to be in a different class than those players, and he should. No one in the NFL has rushed for more yards in the past three seasons. So it could take paying Johnson as one of the game’s “elite” players – not just the top running back – to get him to camp. Some would argue he deserves to be in that category, while others disagree. It’s an interesting debate.

Right now, the two sides aren’t even at a starting point.

That pretty much sums it up.

I was going to save this for the new JUMbotron, but what the heck...

The vibe is, Tennessee has the 2nd most senile, out-of-touch-with-reality owner in the NFL. And no one wants to talk about it.

Remember this? Bud Adams:

...and that happened while Roger Goodell was in the stands (?).

The Titans are being held hostage by this old man and they've already lost 5 years to the Vince Young Obsession.

I'll give GM Mike Reinfeldt one more week to somehow make it happen (though I'm sure he has less say in it than people think)... then I'm sliding CJ down the list. Because the kid is not leaving Orlando without a signed deal in his carry-on bag. And I don't blame him.

If Johnson isn't signed by next Tuesday, the day training camp breaks, this thing is gonna blow... and regular season games will be vaporized in the blast.

sounds nice, but where is the offer? Have the Titans even made an offer? Give him a copy of the proposal to look at first so that he knows you mean business.

Like Emmitt Smith used to be, they don't want to go through camp anyway. I remember Emmitt doing this more than once

I don't know. If I'm CJ and I've told them what I want already. I mean, there is a context in play here. I've said $30 mil, they've said "highest paid RB", so there's things at work. I tell them I'll show up and we'll get this thing worked out. But if I fly all the way up there and you guys throw out DeAngelo money, I'm walking out and it's all going south.

You want me to come up there and do this? That's fine, but you'd better mean business. Don't think that me flying to Tenn is being the first to blink, because I'm not freaking blinking. I'm heading up there under the assumption that you're going to give me what we both know is what it's going to take to get this done.

And if that's not the case, that's fine. Just let me know now before I waste my time.

BTW, a way better deal than DeAngelo is still not Tom Brady money.

he cannot come back to meetings, etc. -where he will be implored by teamates and coaches alike to capitulate for the sake of the team, -without losing leverage.

asking for 30 mil and expecting it are two different things. this kind of brinksmanship is typical of any negotiations.

Edited by hooknladder

he cannot come back to meetimgs, etc. -where he will be implored by teamates and coaches to capitulate for the sake of the team, -without losing leverage.

Sure he can if he's there under the auspice of negotiating the deal. He's giving the teammates what they want by being there with the intent to get it done.

So Titans Managment is basically saying that they will make him the highest paid RB out there, as long as he bends to their will and shows the world that they make the rules and they alone will dictate the terms of negotiation. F them. If they are willing to pay him, then stop playing games and pay him. Everyone knows its the right thing to do in this case.

Sure he can if he's there under the auspice of negotiating the deal. He's giving the teammates what they want by being there with the intent to get it done.

exactly, he's just meeting them half-way. They want him in camp, he says, "how 'bout I just come to Tenn. Then we head into a room and do this."

He wants 30, they obviously want to pay less. That's cool. If he flies to Tenn and they offer 25, then that's a reasonable starting place. They end up at 27.5 and dude is in practice by the afternoon. But if he shows up and they say 15, then he walks out because they're obviously not sincere in saying they want to make him the highest paid RB.

I agree with everyone who says it's BS that they demand he gets in camp. I'm just saying it would be a stand-up gesture to fly to TN.

exactly, he's just meeting them half-way. They want him in camp, he says, "how 'bout I just come to Tenn. Then we head into a room and do this."

He wants 30, they obviously want to pay less. That's cool. If he flies to Tenn and they offer 25, then that's a reasonable starting place. They end up at 27.5 and dude is in practice by the afternoon. But if he shows up and they say 15, then he walks out because they're obviously not sincere in saying they want to make him the highest paid RB.

I agree with everyone who says it's BS that they demand he gets in camp. I'm just saying it would be a stand-up gesture to fly to TN.

Yes, but CJ's given them three years of stand-up gestures. The ultimate team player, never misses games or practices, carries the franchise on his back. No other running back has gained more football yardage in the last three years. The Titans can fly to him a la Revis and pay the man. They have a plane.

I think he is concerned that LAST YEAR he wanted a new long term deal because had WAY out played his existing one and they threw some good faith money at him for past year and a deal never got done. I don't think he is gonna do that again. He already risked his big pay day last year for his team and they didn't pay him... IMO