[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Johnson... Contract news?

dfv87

Were I Chris Johnson's agent I would call a rep for Mont Blanc or Bvlgari pens. I would have them set up a luxury event tent in sight of the Titan's facility. I would have them equip the tent with some good work out equipment, a nice rented conference table and sufficient chairs, computers, and phone lines such that a deal could be worked out and signed right in sight of the facility anytime management cared to look out its window and step outside its gate. The pen the deal gets sgned with would be the sponsering company's pen, of course. The Official pen of the Chris Johnson signing. The only pen worthy of trusting to megamillion dollar deals.

Chris Johnson, of course, would make a few bucks from the endorsement. More even than he stands to make under his current contract.

Oh, and the tent would have a nice press center in it with lots of nice beverages, in case, you know, there has to be a press conference or two. One can be cordial to the press without attempting to curry their favor to one's position, and with the high integrity of that profession there is no way they would sell out for a few tasty beverages and some shade from the sun, now would they?

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were I Chris Johnson's agent I would call a rep for Mont Blanc or Bvlgari pens. I would have them set up a luxury event tent in sight of the Titan's facility. I would have them equip the tent with some good work out equipment, a nice rented conference table and sufficient chairs, computers, and phone lines such that a deal could be worked out and signed right in sight of the facility anytime management cared to look out its window and step outside its gate. The pen the deal gets sgned with would be the sponsering company's pen, of course. The Official pen of the Chris Johnson signing. The only pen worthy of trusting to megamillion dollar deals.

Chris Johnson, of course, would make a few bucks from the endorsement. More even than he stands to make under his current contract.

Oh, and the tent would have a nice press center in it with lots of nice beverages, in case, you know, there has to be a press conference or two. One can be cordial to the press without attempting to curry their favor to one's position, and with the high integrity of that profession there is no way they would sell out for a few tasty beverages and some shade from the sun, now would they?

:wacko: -

....-(yeah and don't forget to bring the 30 million)

Just a little picadillo of mine here, but I see this argument so often, and it is flat out wrong.

The owners honor contracts. They honor the contract when they pay the gauranteed money. They honor the contract with roster bonuses, work out bonus, reporting bonuses, making weight bonuses, not partying with Roethlisberger bonuses, and biweekly in-season pay checks. Now one of the things the owners have paid for with the signing bonus is the right, I'll type it again, the right, to terminate the contract. What they have a contract for is that the player's rights belong to them for a term certain, and if, if, they wish him to be on their roster during that term certain for a yearly wage as well. If they choose to not want them on the roster they have bargained for, and paid for that right. The contract is honored. There is no enforceable expectancy the contract will run to term as the owner has actually paid for flexibility and the player has accepted that term.

Now when players sign a contract and take the signing bonus they know this. They know they might perform better than expected, they know they might perform worse. They also know they may get immediately injured and provide their employer zero value for the money they recieve. They make a calculated risk assessment. When they play well they forget the risk the owner took and now say the owner owes them more. Nonesense from a legal point of view. Absolutely unsupportable. That is why you never see a player sue over the contract. It just can't happen. (at least under normal and circumstances. It is possible some guy may structure a whole new contract scheme someday.)

And, if the player doesn't want to play out his contract, the owner can go after some percentage of the money they gave him up-front. Like Miami was going to do with Ricky Williams when he decided to be a yogi.

I'm not saying the owners are doing something outside of their rights or illegal. But rather, if they decided a player is not worth what they're paying him, they can cut bait. Sure, they're still on the hook for the up-front money, but not the rest. A player, on the other hand, can't just go somewhere else if he thinks he can get a better deal if he's still under contract. And that is why these guys want so much up front, because that's the only money they know they're going to get. That was merely the point I was making. That the up-front money is the only way they can make the owners live out the contract as long as they have to.

I realize that, often times, these guys complain about playing for a below market salary but conveniently forget to amortize the signing bonus into the body of the contract. So, if you're making $3 million in the last year of a 5 year contract that came with a $15 million bonus, you're really making $6 million.

Mind you, that's not really the case here. He signed a modest rookie contract, got a one-time bump last year, and now needs to lock something down.

So it's the same both ways. Owners don't need to keep paying a guy if they think he's not worth it, so why fault a player for refusing to play if he doesn't think the contract isn't worth it?

He can hold out and get paid nothing. That's his privledge.

Of course, he'll lose a year in what are already relatively short careers for NFL RBs, plus he'll be right back in the same situation next year after losing a year, not to mention the losses in time/value of money if he chose not to play and get paid this year, as well as creating an even more difficult situation for negotiating his contract next year.

But if he thinks that your strategy of sitting out is brilliant, that is his wont.

He can hold out and get paid nothing. That's his privledge.

Of course, he'll lose a year in what are already relatively short careers for NFL RBs, plus he'll be right back in the same situation next year after losing a year, not to mention the losses in time/value of money if he chose not to play and get paid this year, as well as creating an even more difficult situation for negotiating his contract next year.

But if he thinks that your strategy of sitting out is brilliant, that is his wont.

well If Chris Johnson doesn't get paid and sits out my guess is the attendance at Titans game's will drop tremendously thus having the owner lose millions.

I think it's fair to say that both sides need each other and that a new contract should be given to Johnson.

well If Chris Johnson doesn't get paid and sits out my guess is the attendance at Titans game's will drop tremendously thus having the owner lose millions.

I think it's fair to say that both sides need each other and that a new contract should be given to Johnson.

I have a feeling that the Titans would survive a CJ holdout much better than CJ would.

I have a feeling that the Titans would survive a CJ holdout much better than CJ would.

I agree, but what I'm saying is both sides need each other, so they should come to an agreement as it's beneficial for both to do so.

I agree, but what I'm saying is both sides need each other, so they should come to an agreement as it's beneficial for both to do so.

I won't argue with that, but not at a third more than the next highest paid RB. Tennessee is on record publicly saying that they would make CJ the highest paid RB in NFL history. AD will be earning $10.7M this year. So if any of this is accurate, it would mean Johnson is holding out from being paid at least $10.7M this year in favor of wanting $13M.

What do you think? Should he report if his offer is at least $10.7M a year?

I won't argue with that, but not at a third more than the next highest paid RB. Tennessee is on record publicly saying that they would make CJ the highest paid RB in NFL history. AD will be earning $10.7M this year. So if any of this is accurate, it would mean Johnson is holding out from being paid at least $10.7M this year in favor of wanting $13M.

What do you think? Should he report if his offer is at least $10.7M a year?

well he knows when AD gets his new contract it's going to be around $13mil

Update per CBS...tomorrow should be an interesting day:

Chris Johnson, RB TEN

News: Chris Johnson posted on Twitter that he's heading to Nashville to meet with his agent and Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt on Wednesday morning. Johnson has been embattled in a contract holdout with the team and has yet to report to training camp. The sensational running back said he's taking to trip to "see where we're going," adding that his situation could get better or worse. Johnson also told a friend on Twitter when asked about getting a new deal that "it's gon workout soon."

I think a lot of angry Titans fans and ticket holders would strongly disagree with you. CJ has been the biggest bargain in the NFL. Surviving should not be the goal for the TItans. A lot of people go just to see him.

How far do you let hi slide down your draft before you take him?

I could keep him this year with the 1.9 pick in a ten team keeper. I think Im gonna let him go and keep V Jackson for a ninth rounder. Im concerned that even if he signs he will be an injury risk as well, hamstring or whatever. Just hoping there is decenent quality back available at 1.9. Also, I have A Foster with the fifth round pick so it makes it a little easier to let him go.

How far do you let hi slide down your draft before you take him?

I ended up with him in an auction for about the equivalent of the 13th pick. Cheaper than Rodgers, Vick, AF, AP, JC, McCoy, RR, Mendy, DMC, R White, AJ, and Megatron.

Seemed like about the right place to go with him.

I could keep him this year with the 1.9 pick in a ten team keeper. I think Im gonna let him go and keep V Jackson for a ninth rounder. Im concerned that even if he signs he will be an injury risk as well, hamstring or whatever. Just hoping there is decenent quality back available at 1.9. Also, I have A Foster with the fifth round pick so it makes it a little easier to let him go.

Assuming you're only allowed 2 keepers, that seems like a fine idea.

Then I'd have a hard time keeping him over those guys even if he was in camp. Foster, obviously and VJax for a 9th rounder?

Dont want to turn this into the advise section but I was hoping I could keep Johnson and grab Jackson early - this way I may start Foster Jackson and maybe get McFadden or someone of that ilk