[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tomorrow's Supplemental draft may be delayed

Bronco Billy

Per GBN today

Rumor that supp draft could be delayed ... ESPN is reporting that the NFL may delay Wednesday's supplemental draft until later in the week while league officials sort out the eligibility of former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor. Pryor, who continues to press for inclusion in this week's supplemenal draft, has even gone so far as to request a meeting with NFL Commissioner Ralph Goodell.

The NFL has circulated a list of players eligible for Wednesday’s supplemental draft and to far Pryor has not been included. At this time, 5 players are eligible for this week’s draft including Georgia RB Caleb King, North Carolina DE Michael McAdoo and Northern Illinois safety Tracy Wilson, whose names have already been made public, along with a couple of lower level prospects in Western Carolina CB Torez Jones and Lindenwood DE Keenan Mace.

Seems the NFL does not want to give players incentive to cheat by making them eligible for the NFL when they get caught. The NFL and the NCAA have had for the most part a long standing harmonious relationship and it looks like the NFL might be trying to help the NCAA with its enforcement policies.

Still tough to see how this will turn out, though. This would also fall into labor laws, which by now we all know all too well are very tricky.

What punishment do you feel is appropriate for him?

ummm, no punishment, just follow the rules...he could have declared for the April draft had he so desired....but instead he decided to return to OSU...then everything went to hell in a hand basket for him (car rental stuff, trading spamshirts etc for tats or whatever)...so before the NCAA could rule on his punishment he quit (I think) but whatever happened he hired an agent and that in turn made him ineligible for the NCAA...the supplemental draft wasn't created for guys that broke rules to decide they want to leave for the NFL because they didn't want to deal with the consequences of their actions....

what about this scenario....no baggage and hasn't done anything wrong....what would you say if Andrew Luck just upped and hired an agent last week and told Stanford thru his attorney he wouldn't be coming back next year....also, consider he didn't graduate/finish his degree....he says he wants into the Supplemental Draft....should he be allowed to enter?

EDIT: Info on SD

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformati...lementdraft.htm

The Supplemental Draft, is designed to allow underclassmen --who did not petition the league for early entry before the NFL Draft deadline but find themselves ineligible for the upcoming college season-- a vehicle for entering the NFL. The supplemental draft is held after the traditional NFL Draft and before each season begins.

The issue seems to be that he wasn't ruled ineligible by the NCAA....his ineligibility came when he hired an agent on his own accord

Edited by keggerz

ummm, no punishment, just follow the rules...he could have declared for the April draft had he so desired....but instead he decided to return to OSU...then everything went to hell in a hand basket for him (car rental stuff, trading spamshirts etc for tats or whatever)...so before the NCAA could rule on his punishment he quit (I think) but whatever happened he hired an agent and that in turn made him ineligible for the NCAA...the supplemental draft wasn't created for guys that broke rules to decide they want to leave for the NFL because they didn't want to deal with the consequences of their actions....

what about this scenario....no baggage and hasn't done anything wrong....what would you say if Andrew Luck just upped and hired an agent last week and told Stanford thru his attorney he wouldn't be coming back next year....also, consider he didn't graduate/finish his degree....he says he wants into the Supplemental Draft....should he be allowed to enter?

from wikipedia:

Since 1977, the NFL has also held a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft. Players generally enter the Supplementary Draft because they missed the filing deadline for the NFL Draft or because issues developed which affected their eligibility (such as athletic or disciplinary matters).

Whole situation is a mess. The kid is a dumbass, no question about that. Surprised he decided to come back in the first place. He should have just declared. I know there was the whole, "If you play in the Sugar Bowl, you're coming back to serve your suspension." I thought he would turn on that and he didn't. Then more shiat hit the fan. While he isn't ruled out for entire season, he is for five games. That's a lot and that should be enough to let him be in the SD. He can't transfer without sitting a year and OSU wants nothing to do with him.

Whole situation is a mess. The kid is a dumbass, no question about that. Surprised he decided to come back in the first place. He should have just declared. I know there was the whole, "If you play in the Sugar Bowl, you're coming back to serve your suspension." I thought he would turn on that and he didn't. Then more shiat hit the fan. While he isn't ruled out for entire season, he is for five games. That's a lot and that should be enough to let him be in the SD. He can't transfer without sitting a year and OSU wants nothing to do with him.

he hired an agent...meaning his NCAA career is done

Edited by keggerz

I got this from the NEW CBA (which I will post in its entirety in another post.

© If a player who was not eligible for the Draft in any League Year be-comes eligible after the date of the Draft, he will be eligible to be selected in a Supplemental Draft, if the League elects to conduct such a Draft, on or before the se-venth calendar day prior to the opening of the first training camp that League Year. No player may elect to bypass a Draft for which he is eligible to apply for selection in a Supplemental Draft. Any Club that selects a player in a Supplemental Draft must forfeit a choice in the same round in the next succeeding principal Draft.

I just posted something I found too....checking the NFL Media website to see if I can find something official

also reported on NFL.com

Seems like a cut and paste job. Are there official rules for the supp. draft? Based on Bernie Kosar, I don't see how Pryor can be kept out.

I got this from the NEW CBA (which I will post in its entirety in another post.

© If a player who was not eligible for the Draft in any League Year be-comes eligible after the date of the Draft, he will be eligible to be selected in a Supplemental Draft, if the League elects to conduct such a Draft, on or before the se-venth calendar day prior to the opening of the first training camp that League Year. No player may elect to bypass a Draft for which he is eligible to apply for selection in a Supplemental Draft. Any Club that selects a player in a Supplemental Draft must forfeit a choice in the same round in the next succeeding principal Draft.

So is there a chance that no team would draft him? If so, what happens?

I don't think the SD can be black/white (and clearly it isn't because the league is discussing letting him in). So many weird circumstances and with the NCAA so messed up, there might be many more of these cases in the future. If the timing of the Dez Bryant situation would have been different, how would people view him if he tried getting into the SD? Again, I know Pryor made the mistake. But if OSU doesn't fire Tressel, then he most likely would have gone back and served his suspension. What does that say?

The NFL has informed teams that the supplemental draft scheduled for Wednesday has been postponed.

As of yet, a new date has not been determined. It's believed that the delay is to clarify the status of former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor, who was angling for a meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell this week. If Pryor is ruled eligible, NFL teams will want to see him in a "Pro Day" setting.

So is there a chance that no team would draft him? If so, what happens?

I don't think the SD can be black/white (and clearly it isn't because the league is discussing letting him in). So many weird circumstances and with the NCAA so messed up, there might be many more of these cases in the future. If the timing of the Dez Bryant situation would have been different, how would people view him if he tried getting into the SD? Again, I know Pryor made the mistake. But if OSU doesn't fire Tressel, then he most likely would have gone back and served his suspension. What does that say?

IF he was declared eligible and went undrafted then he would be just like rooks that weren't drafted in the April Draft...an UDFA

also reported on NFL.com

Seems like a cut and paste job. Are there official rules for the supp. draft? Based on Bernie Kosar, I don't see how Pryor can be kept out.

I just posted a thread with the entire NEW CBA in it...as for Kosar, I think he and a few others are why the rules were changed.

also reported on NFL.com

I just posted a thread with the entire NEW CBA in it...as for Kosar, I think he and a few others are why the rules were changed.

correct

Discussed on NFL radio. The rule was changed because Kosar orchestrated his being drafted by Cleveland.

Still no word WHY he wanted to be drafted by Cleveland