[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suh and the fine...

dfv87

Ndamukong Suh - DT - Detroit Lions Posted 8/17/11 1:11pm et

Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh has been fined $20,000 for a hit on Cincinnati Bengals QB Andy Dalton in the first preseason game. Suh drew a personal foul which helped the Bengals sustain a drive and go kick a field goal.

Huddle Up: The ball was out of Dalton's hand and Suh twisted his head around, popping the helmet off in the process. Lions HC Jim Schwartz told reporters yesterday that he has met with Suh and discussed using caution, but Tom Kowalksi of Mlive.com adds: "Schwartz wore a devilish grin while he spoke. Why? Because the Lions have been getting pushed around for years and they've been the laughing stock of the league and now they're not playing anybody's patsy anymore." Indeed. Suh is a bloodthirsty hunter who can fire up an entire defense.

While I agree that Suh is changing the way teams look at the motor city kitties, that kind of "analysis" leads down a slippery slope toward getting players known as "dirty" not just aggressive. Suh already has had a handful of borderline extra hits/twists etc. Football today already has so much size and speed that those extra shots are "bush" IMO. And I like Suh, and think he is going to be a beast for a long time but this extra crap is just that.

Spin it whatever way they want, the guy is dirty.

When an aggressive player continues to make a dirty play three times in two pre seasons and one regular season, he's no longer just aggressive, he's dirty.

And if his jackass coach wants to make a mockery of it, hopefully he gets fined with Suh getting suspended the next time in happens. He's going to kill someone eventually. No excuses. This is way worse than Harrison killing Massaqoui. If Suh isn't dirty, neither is J Harrison, nor was Rodney Harrison.

Suh wants opposing teams and QBs to fear him. The 20k was a small price for further notoriety toward that end. I'm not sure if he is purely a dirty player, or if he is just setting the parameters for his career, but either way he is getting his point across.

Spin it whatever way they want, the guy is dirty.

When an aggressive player continues to make a dirty play three times in two pre seasons and one regular season, he's no longer just aggressive, he's dirty.

And if his jackass coach wants to make a mockery of it, hopefully he gets fined with Suh getting suspended the next time in happens. He's going to kill someone eventually. No excuses. This is way worse than Harrison killing Massaqoui. If Suh isn't dirty, neither is J Harrison, nor was Rodney Harrison.

wow, are Packer fans feeling threatened by the Lions already?

He's going to kill someone eventually. No excuses. This is way worse than Harrison killing Massaqoui. If Suh isn't dirty, neither is J Harrison, nor was Rodney Harrison.

Dude, what are you smoking? If you want to call Suh dirty, fine. But he doesn't launch himself headfirst into anybody's grille or initiate high impact collisions that could really f*ck a guy up.

Nobody ever got killed being fwown wery wery hard to the grownd.

i'm a Nebraska fan . Suh is borderline dirty and is getting caught because he's nasty all the way through the play and even after the play. he can't absorb many more fines before he's suspended. he's got to tone it down and quit the crap after the whistle, period

This one will end up being self policing. If Suh insists on being overly enthusiastic while tackling QBs, you'll eventually see an OL decide that a 15 yd penalty is worth protecting his QB from late Suh hits and take his knees out.

You can't win. If you strike him down, he shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

wow, are Packer fans feeling threatened by the Lions already?

No, not at all. He's dirty. I like Stafford a lot. Watched him play in HS. I hope he does well. Suh is still a dirty player.

Dude, what are you smoking? If you want to call Suh dirty, fine. But he doesn't launch himself headfirst into anybody's grille or initiate high impact collisions that could really f*ck a guy up.

No, he doesn't launch himself, he just grabs a QB's helmet and jerks the guys neck in an odd direction. Yes, you can break someone's neck with that move.

If that move isn't dirty, nothing is. And he doesn't even see how he's wrong. He's scum.

No, he doesn't launch himself, he just grabs a QB's helmet and jerks the guys neck in an odd direction. Yes, you can break someone's neck with that move.

No he didn't. Did you even watch the play?

He grabbed Dalton up high, there is collision with another Lions player engaged with a Bengal and the helmet pops off before there is any twisting of any sort.

Suh twists Dalton down by grabbing his shoulders. Dalton's neck is never jerked or twisted in an "odd" direction.

To suggest that the play was more dangerous than Harrison's hit on Massaqoui ridiculous.

No he didn't. Did you even watch the play?

He grabbed Dalton up high, there is collision with another Lions player engaged with a Bengal and the helmet pops off before there is any twisting of any sort.

Suh twists Dalton down by grabbing his shoulders. Dalton's neck is never jerked or twisted in an "odd" direction.

To suggest that the play was more dangerous than Harrison's hit on Massaqoui ridiculous.

Are you kidding? Suh first makes contact with Dalton's facemask. You can protect your guy all you want. But it's no different than Charger/Pats fan defending Rodney Harrison or Steelers defending the other Harrison. Dirty is dirty.

Are you kidding? Suh first makes contact with Dalton's facemask. You can protect your guy all you want. But it's no different than Charger/Pats fan defending Rodney Harrison or Steelers defending the other Harrison. Dirty is dirty.

I'm not protecting anyone. Slamming a player into the turf is impermissible. He should have been penalized and fined.

I'm commenting on your overreaction to the play.

why is there this Gray area between TWO HAND TOUCH and TACKLE football?

Watching that play over... in particular when SUH had DALTON in a bear hug...

Reminds exactly of what we do in my rugby practices on easy days... we wrap up and stop the play.

So if you don't let him tackle the QB... yes I'm saying it's just as lame as an adult league rugby practice off day.

I just watched the video replay in slow motion... SUH has his Right hand on the Back of the Right shoulder Pad and his Left arm wrapped around to the Front Right Chest pad. The helmet clearly pops off from the collision with the other linemen or from pretty boy QB not strapping the helmet on properly.

This hit doesn't warrant all this hate on Suh. If this was the first incident, there wouldn't be any fine. This fine is a warning to Suh to stop tackling QBs heads.

To compare this hit to Harrison's hit is borderline crazy. I don't like the way Suh tackles QBs so high, but I sure do like the way he gets to the QB. I guess we all have different views on football, but this is just a football player getting a little too aggressive. There was no intent to injure. The hit last year was much worse. This little love tap doesn't compare.....

Suh wants opposing teams and QBs to fear him. The 20k was a small price for further notoriety toward that end. I'm not sure if he is purely a dirty player, or if he is just setting the parameters for his career, but either way he is getting his point across.

+1

This hit doesn't warrant all this hate on Suh. If this was the first incident, there wouldn't be any fine. This fine is a warning to Suh to stop tackling QBs heads.

To compare this hit to Harrison's hit is borderline crazy. I don't like the way Suh tackles QBs so high, but I sure do like the way he gets to the QB. I guess we all have different views on football, but this is just a football player getting a little too aggressive. There was no intent to injure. The hit last year was much worse. This little love tap doesn't compare.....

How many "borderline" hits does he have to take before its a problem :wacko:

How many "borderline" hits does he have to take before its a problem :wacko:

Where exactly is the problem?

Is it Suh wanting to tackle him to the ground instead of giving him a 300 lb. hug and stopping play?

Is the the Offensive line failing to keep Suh away from the QB?

Is it the QB feeling so protected by the league's additional rules... that he could just stay in the pocket and take his sweet time?

Maybe the O-line should do a better job... or maybe the QB should actually be afraid of getting tackled and learn to MOVE away...or MOVE around in the pocket... or make up his mind and throw the ball sooner.

EDIT: like...."HELLOOOOOO" Doesn't the QB know there are 3 to 4 MASSIVE men a few feet away from him that are trying to rip his head off?

It's all part of the sport... I am against those rules and penalties for "violent" hits like SUH's.

Helmet to helmet and hits on defenseless players in the air are a different story.

Edited by michaelman

I might find myself in agreement with you were it not for the fact that Suh came in with his view unobstructed. The ball was thrown, and there is no way, short of blindness, he did not see that the ball was out. He then repositioned his feet and weight and body slammed the Q.B. after the play had moved on. This was a dirty play. It is not his first dirty play. (I don't include last year's hit on Cutler which was a great play, as I saw it.)

I'm not protecting anyone. Slamming a player into the turf is impermissible. He should have been penalized and fined.

I'm commenting on your overreaction to the play.

It's not an overreaction. It's a dirty play. And he's committed the same dirty play multiple times. How many times does he get to keep on making the same dirty play until he's no longer just being aggressive? And let's be honest, if it wasn't a dirty play, why is he paying 20k? The league has no ax to grind with Suh, and want to promote him.

He's not in the Harrison level yet, but he's well on his way before his second season starts.

Another thing he's going to end up doing is putting a bullseye on his teammates. Let's say he takes a shot at Josh Freeman week 1. You better believe the front seven for the Bucs would take shots at Best/Stafford or even Calvin Johnson. It's poor football IQ, it's nothing more than a cheap shot. Accept it and move on.

People were on this guy's side last year when he hit Cutler. Now people are against him. I think the play against Dalton was unnecessary, he did more than necessary and he could have stopped himself. With Rodgers and Cutler in his division, it'll be interesting to see how "aggressive" this guy gets. Loved him in college but the more I watch him, the guy is relentless. If the NFL wants to police the game and add all these rules/penalties protecting the QB, well, this guy needs to be focused on without a doubt.

Where exactly is the problem?

Is it Suh wanting to tackle him to the ground instead of giving him a 300 lb. hug and stopping play?

Is the the Offensive line failing to keep Suh away from the QB?

Is it the QB feeling so protected by the league's additional rules... that he could just stay in the pocket and take his sweet time?

Maybe the O-line should do a better job... or maybe the QB should actually be afraid of getting tackled and learn to MOVE away...or MOVE around in the pocket... or make up his mind and throw the ball sooner.

EDIT: like...."HELLOOOOOO" Doesn't the QB know there are 3 to 4 MASSIVE men a few feet away from him that are trying to rip his head off?

It's all part of the sport... I am against those rules and penalties for "violent" hits like SUH's.

Helmet to helmet and hits on defenseless players in the air are a different story.

That's nice and all and I mostly agree but that's not today's NFL.

These hits will get fines and suspensions. Deal with it. You can defend the hits blah blah blah but it won't change anything on the field and in the league office.

I wish there was still fighting on hockey but its gone. I got over it.