[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Pettigrew

Brentastic

He's a curious TE. He put up really nice stats in his 2nd season last year - 70ish receptions 700+ yards and 6ish TDs. Numbers like that so early in a career can indicate great things to come.

The problem I have with drafting Pettigrew and relying on him as my starter, is that he put up his great numbers when Stafford was out. In the 3 games with Stafford (one a partial game), Pettigrew compiled only 6 receptions fand 32 yards, he did, however receive 2 TDs. I don't put much weight on TDs because they're difficult to project. I mainly look at targets and yards.

Now granted, 3 games is a small sample size for the QB/TE combo, but I think at the very least, potential owners should temper expectations on Pettigrew this season. Afterall, some QBs don't really look at the TE. Some QBs are mainly WR throwers. Stafford may be a WR thrower or maybe he will catapult Pettigrew into elite status this year. All I'm saying, is you should draft Pettigrew as a backup if you're looking for certainty from the TE position.

Stafford didn't throw much to TEs in college. He will learn to hit the open man and, when he does, watch out for Pettigrew!

Assuming they can both stay on the field that is.....

I absolutely could count on Pettigrew as my starter.

If I missed Gates, Witten, Clark or Finley - in the throes of a mad RB-WR stacking plan, I would totally grab B.P. in the 9th or 10th round. He's gonna be great.

I don't get too caught up in whether Stafford is a "WR thrower" or not. The sample is too small to be a trend. All I know is he is a helluva end-zone target.

If I missed Gates, Witten, Clark or Finley - in the throes of a mad RB-WR stacking plan, I would totally grab B.P. in the 9th or 10th round. He's gonna be great.

I don't get too caught up in whether Stafford is a "WR thrower" or not. The sample is too small to be a trend. All I know is he is a helluva end-zone target.

I like BP as a breakout TE this year.

You could certainly be right. For me, I'll let someone else take that risk.

Do you not agree that some QBs look primarily for WRs and sort of ignore or forget about the TE?

Do you not agree that some QBs look primarily for WRs and sort of ignore or forget about the TE?

I'd need a large sample of work to convince me it's a real TE prejudice. With Stafford and Pettigrew it's too soon to say what Stafford likes to do. These two guys have only played 10 full games together.

This!

I think Stafford when he gets rushed will look for his big man and in that red zone, look out. Pettigrew showed he was a valuable target and I also think he is a breakout candidate.

This!

I think Stafford when he gets rushed will look for his big man and in that red zone, look out. Pettigrew showed he was a valuable target and I also think he is a breakout candidate.

Keep Lance Kendricks in you minds when drafting a #2 TE this year. He will be most teams #1 by mid season.

I totally disagree here. I don't think it's the QB in that case, but the system. It also depends on your gaurds and how well they handle preasure. Bradford was a HUGE TE guy in college but last year, he was everywhere with the ball. And remember, one the most successful QB's whom now is a HoFer loved his TE, which is also a HoFer (Elway/Sharp)

I'd need a large sample of work to convince me it's a real TE prejudice. With Stafford and Pettigrew it's too soon to say what Stafford likes to do. These two guys have only played 10 full games together.

I did make it clear in my initial post that the sample size was too small and that Stafford may be a WR thrower. So I agree with you there. My point, which I also made clear, is that he is too risky to draft as your #1 TE because of said unknowns.

Detroit is going to pass the ball again this year. Stafford is going to pass the ball to the open man. That being said, it will be difficult for Pettigrew to improve on last year's numbers. Stafford's first and second options will be Calvin Johnson.

Pettigrew was also easing back from his ACL injury at the beginning of last year if I am not mistaken.

One more year removed to me means an even more dangerous weapon in the passing game. Plus with adding a deep threat at WR3 in teh draft, look for those underneath routes to be wide open.

Wow he manhandled that LB

I just can't reiterate it enough.... It's not the QB, but the system that dictates how a TE will do. Can't forget the ability of the TE.

I think it's the system first, the QB 2nd and the talent of the TE 3rd because I think that any NFL starting TE can produce if he gets the looks....the system has to call for the TE to get the looks and also the QB has to prefer the TE or at least not avoid them like Cutler has done many times in the past..

Cutler and Hasselbeck are two QB's off the top of my head who don't target the TE as much...

I just can't reiterate it enough.... It's not the QB, but the system that dictates how a TE will do. Can't forget the ability of the TE.

Maybe. But I've owned Scaife and Pettigrew in a few leagues over the last couple years. They received significantly more targets and more fantasy value when the backup QBs were in.

Maybe. But I've owned Scaife and Pettigrew in a few leagues over the last couple years. They received significantly more targets and more fantasy value when the backup QBs were in.

The system changes for backup QB's. They use their big guys more often to ensure they keep the chains moving. They also check down to the TE more often than the starter because they’re not as intimate with the first string play book. It's extremely common for there to be 2 totally different play books for the starter and backup.

The system changes for backup QB's. They use their big guys more often to ensure they keep the chains moving. They also check down to the TE more often than the starter because they’re not as intimate with the first string play book. It's extremely common for there to be 2 totally different play books for the starter and backup.

true, but if you take a player like McNabb...he's always allowed the TE to produce because he prefers the big target, same goes for Peyton as well....any TE on the Colts produces and we clearly saw that with Tamme last year...

the QB's preference is as big as the system and sometimes even more important because some QB's just like going for the jugular more often....like Jay Cutler, but then you have Favre who does the same but still utilizes the TE anyways....I dunno :wacko:

The Eagles system must have changed 180 degrees when Vick took over for Kolb.

It did. They had 2 totally different play books. I read that once Ried made his "dicision" to go with VIck, they rewrote several aspects of their play book because of Vick's ability to pull the safties in.