[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pryor ruled eligible for Supplemental Draft

keggerz

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6873163/...irst-five-games

The NFL declared former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor eligible for the supplemental draft Thursday but ruled that he will not be able to play in the first five games of the 2011 season after he signs a contract.

The league announced Pryor was eligible in a memo sent to its 32 teams Thursday. The 2011 supplemental draft will take place Monday, Aug. 22. The draft was to have taken place on Aug. 17 before it was postponed.

The NFL said that Pryor can play in preseason games after he is drafted and signs but he is not eligible to practice with his new team or play in a game until Week 6 of the season. Pryor will be allowed at his new team's training facility for meetings and to work with coaches during the time he is ineligible, however.

"... Pryor made decisions that undermine the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL Draft. Those actions included failing to cooperate with the NCAA and hiring an agent in violation of NCAA rules, which resulted in Ohio State declaring him ineligible to continue playing college football.

"Pryor then applied to enter the NFL after the regular draft. Pryor had accepted at the end of the 2010 college football season a suspension for the first five games of the 2011 season for violating NCAA rules. Pryor will be ineligible to practice prior to or play in the first five games of the NFL regular season after he signs."

David Cornwell, Pryor's attorney, said he and Pryor were happy with the NFL's decision but said the NCAA must be challenged on its "amateurism" rules.

"Ultimately we are pleased that Terrelle will have the opportunity to fulfill his dream to dream to play in the NFL," Cornwell said. "Personally, I hope this causes everyone to pause and conclude that we must challenge the NCAA on its 'amateurism' rules. Terrelle is going to the NFL because the NCAA mandated that he feed their families, but he could not feed his own."

In order to qualify for the supplemental draft, a player must show that his status has changed -- such as being declared academically ineligible by his school -- after the NFL's regular college draft has been held.

When he announced his departure from Ohio State, Pryor already had been suspended by the school and the NCAA for the first five games of what would have been his senior season this fall for accepting improper benefits, such as cash and discounted tattoos.

The scandal led to coach Jim Tressel's forced resignation May 30. Tressel acknowledged knowing his players were taking improper benefits but covered it up for more than nine months before Ohio State officials discovered the violations.

Pryor is Ohio State's all-time leading rusher among quarterbacks, with 2,164 yards. He also threw 57 touchdown passes, tying a school record.

Five other players are eligible to be drafted Monday: former Georgia running back Caleb King, former Northern Illinois safety Tracy Wilson, former Western Carolina cornerback Torez Jones, former Lindenwood University defensive end Keenan Mace, and former North Carolina defensive end Michael McAdoo.

Forty players have been selected in the NFL supplemental draft since its inception in 1977.

Teams submit picks to the league and if their bid is the highest, they receive the player but lose the corresponding draft pick in the following year's regular draft.

Edited by keggerz

fwiw I don't think he should have been made eligible but with that said they made him eligible and then suspended him for what he did in college....suspending him for what he did in college is crazy and sets a scary precedent

fwiw I don't think he should have been made eligible but with that said they made him eligible and then suspended him for what he did in college....suspending him for what he did in college is crazy and sets a scary precedent

Personally I like it.

Personally I like it.

I do too. Maybe these college athletes will not try to circumvent the NCAA rules if there is an NFL consequence as well. I think this is a good example of the two entities, NFL and their "farm system" the NCAA, to grow a pair!

....suspending him for what he did in college is crazy and sets a scary precedent

I agree 100%. The hubris of the NFL to decide they will carry over his penalty is unbelievable. What's next, the justice system will just start commuting their sentences to the NFL to execute? Burglary gets you 2 weeks unpaid suspension but murder means you have to play for the Bengals for a year?

With a player like Prior, he's not going to play in the first 5 games, even if he does get drafted. He wasn't going to play in the first 5 games even if he got drafted in April. I don't think Prior even felt this slap on the wrist. As keggerz said, it sets a scary precident for future players trying to get into the NFL after the draft is complete. NFL rules comittee should have tried harder to make this ruling. I don't like it.

Slippery slope is how I see it.

I understand your slippery slope argument, but IMO it is outweighed by players who will intentionally circumvent the college rules knowing that they have this safety net to fall into. I believe kids like Pryor will abuse the system much moreso than the NFL will. I like seeing accountability for kids who screw over their college programs and then bolt to the pros for big paydays, leaving the college program wallowing in the wake of their behavior with reduced scholarships and/or probations. I also like seeing a cooperative relationship between the NFL and the NCAA.

I would have loved seeing something like this in place when Reggie Bush enterd the league.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The NFL is saying Pryor made decisions in college that undermined the supplemental draft. What do they do? They let him in anyway. 5 game suspension? Who gives a rats ass. He'll get a playbook, he'll be in the NFL and screw the rules. Very bad decision IMO. Here is what they should have said...."Pryor made decisions in college that undermined the supplemental draft...THEREFORE..he is ineligible until 2012."....period. End of story. The NFL dropped the ball here.

With a player like Prior, he's not going to play in the first 5 games, even if he does get drafted. He wasn't going to play in the first 5 games even if he got drafted in April. I don't think Prior even felt this slap on the wrist. As keggerz said, it sets a scary precident for future players trying to get into the NFL after the draft is complete. NFL rules comittee should have tried harder to make this ruling. I don't like it.

He'll feel it when he doesn't get paid.

Here's a great read:

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/08/18...and-capricious/

What Pryor did was violate administrative procedural rules. The basis seems to be a refusal to cooperate with the NCAA and hiring an agent, something which was his right in exchange for permanently surrendering any right to participate in college athletics again. Did I miss the part where they suspended Pete Carroll from coaching Seattle for a few games last year for leaving USC in the lurch? I’m sure that Reggie Bush suspension for refusing to cooperate with the NCAA was big news and I was just on vacation that week. I’m sure that all the University of Miami players in the league can expect a stern sit down with Sir Roger when they refuse to talk about Nevin Shapiro.

I understand your slippery slope argument, but IMO it is outweighed by players who will intentionally circumvent the college rules knowing that they have this safety net to fall into. I believe kids like Pryor will abuse the system much moreso than the NFL will. I like seeing accountability for kids who screw over their college programs and then bolt to the pros for big paydays, leaving the college program wallowing in the wake of their behavior with reduced scholarships and/or probations. I also like seeing a cooperative relationship between the NFL and the NCAA.

I would have loved seeing something like this in place when Reggie Bush enterd the league.

I could be wrong, but I think keggerz slippery-slope argument was saying essentially the same thing... Missing 4 games in college is a whole different deal from missing them in the NFL, when you won't be seeing the field anyway and can still sign a contract. I also think it's sets a very bad precedent.

I could be wrong, but I think keggerz slippery-slope argument was saying essentially the same thing... Missing 4 games in college is a whole different deal from missing them in the NFL, when you won't be seeing the field anyway and can still sign a contract. I also think it's sets a very bad precedent.

I thought he was speaking to the NFL using behavior of players prior to joining the league as being an offense in the NFL

I heard a rumor that the Browns were looking at him... or at least had an interview with him...

I don't know if they are serious contending for him but I'd like to see him stay in Ohio.

I agree with the slippery slope... what is the NFL going to do next??? only draft players who have college degrees???

the NFL cut the kid a break. He should not have been in but since no one else would get drafted i can see why they did it. I like the idea of letting the 5 game suspension stand. At the least it looks like the league made an attempt to save face a bit. it was a strange case and we will never see this situation again. I see no slope slippery or otherwise