[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just when I was about to Keep P. Manning...

Dcat

....this pops up (tomorrow night is my league's Keeper declaration date):

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay says his team must be prepared to start the season without injured quarterback Peyton Manning, and the club might need to find a veteran backup.

Irsay posted his comments Saturday morning on his Twitter account, less than 12 hours after the Colts lost their eighth straight preseason game.

"We r evaluating the QB sitch,(hash)18 healing but we must 2 b prepared 4 early season possibility without him,defense has 2 pick it up,big time!," Irsay wrote.

During a conference call with reporters, coach Jim Caldwell was asked again when he expected Manning to be back. Caldwell still hasn't provided a timeline for Manning's return and says Manning still hasn't been cleared to practice.

"Bottom line, we truly do not know when he will be ready," Colts president Bill Polian said. "Once the nerves regenerate properly, he'll be ready. When that happens, he'll be ready to ramp up immediately. It's impossible to predict."

Curtis Painter, Manning's backup, has started both preseason games.

"Our whole focus is to be as good as we can be until he's back," Polian said of Manning. "That's all there is to that. We're going through the tape of (Friday night's) game right now. We've had a lot of problems the first two games that had almost northing to do with the quarterback. We've got to get some things straightened out with our O-line and our defense has been bad so far."

Polian gave no indication whether another veteran quarterback was under consideration.

As to Irsay's public tweets about suggestions about a veteran backup quarterback, Polian said, "Our owner is the owner. I can't speak to that."

Former Colts backup Jim Sorgi is a free agent should the team opt to sign another quarterback. Sorgi lives in Indianapolis but has not been contacted by Colts.

He spent 2010 with the New York Giants but missed the season when he suffered a preseason injury that required surgery on a torn capsule and labrum in his shoulder. He began throwing in December but declined a one-year contract offer before training camp to rejoin the Giants.

Sorgi's agent, Matt Brei, said the quarterback was throwing "very well" during the offseason and the 6-foot-5 passer had gotten his weight to beyond 230 pounds. Sorgi had always been considered underweight in the low 200s. Brei said Sorgi's decision not to rejoin the Giants was personal and had nothing to do with any medical issue.

Another veteran quarterback that is available is Kerry Collins, whom Polian drafted as a first-round pick in 1995 with the Carolina Panthers. The Colts offered Collins a backup quarterback position in 2006 but he chose the Titans because of a better opportunity to play. However, Collins turned down a chance to return to the Titans this season because he said his heart was not into investing the time in learning a new offense. He would have to learn a new offense with the Colts.

Fantasy Football. Gotta love it.

Edited by Dcat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this news because all of a sudden Manning has become a value pick in redrafts. Will he miss the first couple games of the season? Maybe. But getting Manning for the rest of the year is still worth a 3rd round pick. I'be seen him dropping to the fifth round in mocks. Delicious value!

I love this news because all of a sudden Manning has become a value pick in redrafts. Will he miss the first couple games of the season? Maybe. But getting Manning for the rest of the year is still worth a 3rd round pick. I'be seen him dropping to the fifth round in mocks. Delicious value!

He's on the PUP, and the risk is he stays there. That's a minimum 6 games missed, not just a couple. The good news is there are a slew of quality backups to be had later in the draft that could save you before his return. But I do think he'll be removed from the PUP before the season and the people who get 5th round value will be dancing for joy.

this

Not so sure. ESPN had a piece tonight where Irsay was quoted that Manning's nerve regeneration in his neck is not going as well as they'd hoped. They then interviewed Peyton, who confirmed that his rehab was set back by the lockout, and he offered no timetable for his return. He iterated he has not thrown a ball since the surgery, and further mentioned he felt he'd need some time practicing before he was able to play. He said no preseason and no OTA's have him well behind the eight-ball. And as someone who had back surgery, and lingering nerve issues, I can say for sure that from multiple second-opinions that nerve regeneration is something that can't be predicted even with the most rigorous of rehab.

Sounds like an owner and a player both agreeing that him being ready for the start of the season is unrealistic. Usually the player is more optimistic...not this time.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Not so sure. ESPN had a piece tonight where Irsay was quoted that Manning's nerve regeneration in his neck is not going as well as they'd hoped. They then interviewed Peyton, who confirmed that his rehab was set back by the lockout, and he offered no timetable for his return. He iterated he has not thrown a ball since the surgery, and further mentioned he felt he'd need some time practicing before he was able to play. He said no preseason and no OTA's have him well behind the eight-ball. And as someone who had back surgery, and lingering nerve issues, I can say for sure that from multiple second-opinions that nerve regeneration is something that can't be predicted even with the most rigorous of rehab.

Sounds like an owner and a player both agreeing that him being ready for the start of the season is unrealistic. Usually the player is more optimistic...not this time.

I understand and agree with all that...but and this is the big but for me.....their actions aren't matching their words...I mean the Colts are a very well run franchise...the fact that they didn't bring in a VET at the start of camp and still hasn't just screams to me that manning will be ready to play by week 1...maybe I am being to optimistic :wacko:

How did the lockout set back his rehab? Especially when he says he hasn't thrown the ball since the surgery. It's not like he can't afford any doctor that he wants.

I understand and agree with all that...but and this is the big but for me.....their actions aren't matching their words...I mean the Colts are a very well run franchise...the fact that they didn't bring in a VET at the start of camp and still hasn't just screams to me that manning will be ready to play by week 1...maybe I am being to optimistic :wacko:

yes. you could be. they have orlovsky who was the backup last year in Houston and started some games the year before. who else could they bring in at this point?

How did the lockout set back his rehab? Especially when he says he hasn't thrown the ball since the surgery. It's not like he can't afford any doctor that he wants.

that was the only part of Manning's comments I wondered about, too. It was just a short interview by a sideline reporter as he was leaving the field after the preseason game against the Skins, so there wasn't a heck of a lot of in-depth questions. I would have asked the that same question.

On the flip side, not a lot doctors can do when it comes to the bodies nerves regenerating....its mostly physical therapy reps to get the muscles working hard, which stimulates nerve growth/healing.

I decided to drop manning off my roster because of all the unknowns. Our draft was last night and I ended up drafting ELI Manning in round 7 and Sam Bradford in round 9. I ended up with Deangelo Williams instead of Manning in round 3. Not what I wanted, but I will take it.

I think I read that Peyton really, REALLY, loves and trusts his physical therapist. I think he credits the guy/gal with keeping him so healthy and that he would rather wait for his PT than try to develop a relationship with another PT.

HIs PT works for the team, so he wasn't allowed contact with him during the lockout.

I understand that dude is a creature of habit, but that's going a little far. He's got more money than anyone can imagine. He could fly anyone in the world in to rehab his neck. Does his favorite PT not have a friend they can refer him to? And he would rather not rehab than rehab with someone other than his favorite? That's some Rainman chight right there.

Hell, if it came down to it, I don't know why the Colts didn't "fire" Manning's PT so that Manning could hire him/her himself and then re-hire the person back once the lock-out ended. It's not like a coach or something and this hurts Indy far more than it hurts Manning. Manning is still getting paid whether he's on the field or watching Painter lead them to an 0-3 start.

That said, count me among those who will not take advantage of the "value" that he's likely to represent. Every good thing comes to an end. Last year, he managed to do it with smoke and mirrors and that was Herculean. But I think the writing is on the wall. Manning's is a precision game. I don't see him as the kind of guy who can shrug off the fact that he's got a bum neck, because he's not about just winging it. It's not like a guy like Big Ben who just rumbles around and pulls stuff out of his ass. Ben's is not a pretty game, so I think it matters less if he's dinged up. With Manning, I think it matters way more. I'm afraid this is the year he drops off and drops off big.

Edited by detlef

I understand that dude is a creature of habit, but that's going a little far. He's got more money than anyone can imagine. He could fly anyone in the world in to rehab his neck. Does his favorite PT not have a friend they can refer him to? And he would rather not rehab than rehab with someone other than his favorite? That's some Rainman chight right there.

Hell, if it came down to it, I don't know why the Colts didn't "fire" Manning's PT so that Manning could hire him/her himself and then re-hire the person back once the lock-out ended. It's not like a coach or something and this hurts Indy far more than it hurts Manning. Manning is still getting paid whether he's on the field or watching Painter lead them to an 0-3 start.

out of curiosity have you ever posted a 1 or 2 sentence response to anything.

I decided to drop manning off my roster because of all the unknowns. Our draft was last night and I ended up drafting ELI Manning in round 7 and Sam Bradford in round 9. I ended up with Deangelo Williams instead of Manning in round 3. Not what I wanted, but I will take it.

Where was Peyton drafted?

This all reminds me of Peyton's knee injury a few years ago. He played Week 1. He will again.

I will change my mind if the Colts sign Kerry Collins or trade for Carson Palmer in the next few days.

Hmmm, Palmer in Indy... :wacko:

As I recall, Peyton has been with the guy for a long time and knows everything about his injury and therapy history. That's probably a big deal when it comes to these guys keeping their bodies together and knowing how to rehab efficiently and effectively. Trust factor is quite large here I think.

Now, why the guy was locked in as the Colts guy and couldn't find a way to get away and tend to Manning during the lockout is a bit of dumb thing.

This could be the beginning of a Favre-like slide (minus the sexting) for Manning. He's 35 yrs old and this is a pretty serious injury. I know how well he ended up last year, but he also threw for WAY more attempts last season than any other time in his career. He doesn't have any running game to support him and the D is looking slow. His risk factor looks to be way up from previous seasons, which would make me lower his expectations a bit given where you are going to have to draft him to roster him.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a sub-Manning season this year, followed by the drafting of his successor high in the draft next year. With the lack of running help, teams are going to come after him full bore, and it wouldn't take much for that neck injury to reoccur. We could be seeing some of the last snaps that the guy who is probably the greatest QB in NFL history may be taking in his superb career.

Without a 100% Manning, this is going to be a pretty vulnerable Colts' team, meaning they're going to have to rely on him even more. That seems to spell a nasty cycle where Manning is going to take a beating, and I don't know if he can take that anymore..

This could be the beginning of a Favre-like slide (minus the sexting) for Manning. He's 35 yrs old and this is a pretty serious injury. I know how well he ended up last year, but he also threw for WAY more attempts last season than any other time in his career. He doesn't have any running game to support him and the D is looking slow. His risk factor looks to be way up from previous seasons, which would make me lower his expectations a bit given where you are going to have to draft him to roster him.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a sub-Manning season this year, followed by the drafting of his successor high in the draft next year. With the lack of running help, teams are going to come after him full bore, and it wouldn't take much for that neck injury to reoccur. We could be seeing some of the last snaps that the guy who is probably the greatest QB in NFL history may be taking in his superb career.

Without a 100% Manning, this is going to be a pretty vulnerable Colts' team, meaning they're going to have to rely on him even more. That seems to spell a nasty cycle where Manning is going to take a beating, and I don't know if he can take that anymore..

So hypothetical here... Manning doesn't play very well, or at all this season. I know I know... like I said, hypothetical.

Do the Colts draft Luck? Because no Manning and this team is ridiculous. After his extension and everything, that would be a wild scenario.

Hard to type with a squirmy 3 year old in your lap.

So hypothetical here... Manning doesn't play very well, or at all this season. I know I know... like I said, hypothetical.

Do the Colts draft Luck? Because no Manning and this team is ridiculous. After his extension and everything, that would be a wild scenario.

Hard to type with a squirmy 3 year old in your lap.

Without Manning literally carrying the team to Ws, I could see IND in the Luck sweepstakes. If not, Landry Jones is a real possibility - and he'll put up some prolific numbers in the pros also.