[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sleeper Defenses in 2011?

Jackass

We all know who the premier D's are, but i like to nab a sleeper D in the last couple rounds. Who's flying under the radar this year?

Here are a few i'm looking at to get the discussion started:

Miami

Rams

Giants

None have fantastic schedules but i see their defenses improving from last year.

Thoughts?

Last year, I thought the San Diego D was a lot of smoke and mirrors. Their #1 ranking was not really deserved. They still had trouble making stops when they HAD to and played on way too many short fields because of horrible special teams play and unfortunate turnovers.

With Manusky as the coordinator and Spikes and Sanders already creating an "attitude" they haven't had in SD for ages, I think that this year they will be a legitimate top 10 defence and not one that was the fortune of circumstance.

I don't know if "sleeper" fits here, but "perform better than expected" is better put.

Two Ds that were really poor last year and are looking to have made substantial improvements: DEN & HOU. Some sacks, some turnovers - not ungodly, but competitive. Likely both will be there with the last pick in a redraft league. Plus, DEN gets OAK & KC twice, while HOU gets TEN & JAX twice. That can't hurt.

Edited by Bronco Billy

One that intrigues me are the Bucs. They spent their first three picks in this year's draft on defensive players and their first two the previous year on defensive players. That's obviously not the end all, be all...but I feel like they're trending upwards.

This is a good answer. With the O that TB is going to put on the field, other teams are going to have to take some chances to keep up. That and the improvements in TB's front 7 make for opportunities for the D to make some big plays.

Well, Vaughn Miller looked nearly inhuman last night. I think Denver D has a huge turn around and is a top 10 fantasy D. Granted, I have a dog in the fight.

Oh, and I know when I'm wrong and not afraid to say it. When they drafted Miller, I was 100% against it thinking there were bigger holes to fill. I'm now ecstatic about the acquisition.

Well, Vaughn Miller looked nearly inhuman last night. I think Denver D has a huge turn around and is a top 10 fantasy D. Granted, I have a dog in the fight.

Oh, and I know when I'm wrong and not afraid to say it. When they drafted Miller, I was 100% against it thinking there were bigger holes to fill. I'm now ecstatic about the acquisition.

Wow. A leap from the worst D in the NFL to a top 10 D? I think you're listening to Alfred Williams way too much. Expecting that kind of change in 1 year is asking too much, especially when the O has enough holes that they can't effectively protect the D enough. Teams are going to run on DEN a lot this coming year. Aside from DJ Williams, the D is either too young or too light right now. The #1 D has given up runs in hugh chunks so far this preseason.

I like them to improve, but maybe to a middle-of-the-pack D.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If sacks are your thing I like Houston to be an easy last pick of the draft worth taking. Their offense will be able to keep the clock going and with a great run team of their own to keep their defense off the field see them as a sleeper for cheap.

i was looking at them. i've been burned on them before though - they seem to be a sleeper type team every year and often times end up being bad.

Lions?

I'm sure a number of people would be surprised by the final D ranking of the Lions last year - top 10 in the Huddle stats. I think they were top half for sure in many leagues. They are still sort of a sleeper though b/c everyone has a hard time believing the Lions might actually have something this year. In one league, I'll likely head into the season with TB and Det as my defenses.

Wow. A leap from the worst D in the NFL to a top 10 D? I think you're listening to Alfred Williams way too much. Expecting that kind of change in 1 year is asking too much, especially when the O has enough holes that they can't effectively protect the D enough. Teams are going to run on DEN a lot this coming year. Aside from DJ Williams, the D is either too young or too light right now. The #1 D has given up runs in hugh chunks so far this preseason.

I like them to improve, but maybe to a middle-of-the-pack D.

They weren't the worst due to a lack of talent. The scheme was horrific and they never filled the needs for McDaddies 3-4 D. John Fox is a pretty good defensive mind with the fact that they have 1 of the best corners in the game, one of the better DE's and a great LB'er core, there should be a fairly drastic turn around. Also going back to a solid 4-3 (which should help Ayers... Or not).

Edited by BearBroncos

They weren't the worst due to a lack of talent.

Um, yes, they were. Outside of DJ Williams and Champ, none of the starters last year would have started for almost any other team in the league.

You know, if your favorite team really sucks, it's okay to say they really suck.

Dumerville was only injured and is back this year. I think the entire D line (to your argument) has been scrapped and Ayers, IMHO, has the ability but has been shuffled around through system after system. Denver did draft some defensive needs and went FA to get others. I'm not saying they will be a top 10 NFL defense, just a top 10 fantasy D. Big difference. I think Dumervil and Miller will have crazy tackle stats while the corners will improve exponentially.

we get it, you know the kid's real name and how it's spelled. Does it really matter?

Do any of your posts matter?

I just think it's interesting that someone from Denver, with "Broncos" in their username can't spell one of their players' names.

Dumerville

Or wait...

:wacko: