[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction draft

detlef

First auction draft today, first for everyone in the league actually. and people were besides themselves with how much more fun it was than a traditional draft.

From now on, that is absolutely the format of choice provided it's feasible.

a big misconception is that it takes sooooooooo much longer than a regular snake draft, but it really doesnt take that much longer. auction drafts def are the best, no excuses on why your team sucks or why your team is number one!

First auction draft today, first for everyone in the league actually. and people were besides themselves with how much more fun it was than a traditional draft.

a big misconception is that it takes sooooooooo much longer than a regular snake draft, but it really doesnt take that much longer. auction drafts def are the best, no excuses on why your team sucks or why your team is number one!

Yep. We took 3 hours for a 10 team draft not counting for lunch break and a few shorter breaks. I don't recall a live snake draft every going much faster. And why would you want to be in a hurry? It's a blast.

Agreed. And I think a bulk of the folks were happy with the teams they drafted, no? Charlie, I have to say you made out like a bandit by all present indicators...

It looked like everyone dug their team, but mostly there was just so much more tension and excitement. Time will tell how I did and I'm nervous what impact Fitz's massive contract is going to have on negotiations between Tenn and Johnson. But it just seemed too worth it not to bite.

I'm in one auction league (that drafts tomorrow) and I love it. I was used to the format long before the league was formed because I also play fantasy baseball, and auctions are more common there.

I'd love for my other leagues to change to auction, but logistics and intransigence prevent that.

The Ocho -- you are never able to "keep to your plan" in an auction unless your leaguemates really don't know what they are doing. But adjusting on the fly is a big part of the fun.

It's an experience that a draft can't match. And no things don't go as planned in an auction. A lot has to do with supply and demand. If you are set on having a plan I would recommend making a tiered list of players and having a set value for one out of the group. But again if there is a run on a position and players are getting thin with a couple teams who still need a position the price will get driven up. I typically set out for a couple of must have players and fill my roster with value. Just my two cents.

Welcome to the party. Your comments are the same as about 90% of the people who try an auction for the fist time. I'm amazed it hasn't become the default way to draft for most leagues. Snake drafts are lame by comparison.

OK DMD cue up your classic article on why auctions are better would ya? One of the best FF articles I've ever read.

It's an experience that a draft can't match. And no things don't go as planned in an auction. A lot has to do with supply and demand. If you are set on having a plan I would recommend making a tiered list of players and having a set value for one out of the group. But again if there is a run on a position and players are getting thin with a couple teams who still need a position the price will get driven up. I typically set out for a couple of must have players and fill my roster with value. Just my two cents.
One of the beauties of an auction draft is that there is no "the" way to go. You can spend a lot on a few studs and try to find value later, lay back and stock up on 2d/3d tier talent expecting some to over-perform, etc etc - I have seen all strats succeed and fail.

I'm gonna miss FF this year but the draft most of all. :wacko:

I am participating in my first auction draft next week....Did things work out as you had planned? Any surprises? Did you have to alter your strategy during the draft or were you able to keep to your plan? I can't wait.

I think those who approached it with a plan to budget this or that per position had trouble sticking to their plan. Mine was to grab the first 3-4 elite players, regardless of position (obviously talking RB/WR/QB here), who came off at what seemed to be a discount and then close up shop until everyone came back to me in terms of money while, hopefully, there were still one or two good players to be had.

As a result, I did miss on some very good values on mid tier players, but, assuming C Johnson and Tenn figure their crap out, I'm going to be starting a rather enviable wishbone attack in a league with a flex position, a tier 1 TE, and QBs and WRs that at least I'm not ashamed of. If not, Addai or Sims Walker need to fill the void, which would be rather unfortunate.

I cant imagine spending more than 10 minutes before I would have to kill you. :tup:

Kudos to the guys who put up with you for the whole auction. :wacko:

Had our first last Saturday. It's the only way to go. I completely got caught up in the moment and blew my budget. But had a blast.

It was a blast, and I bet you get caught up in the moment again next yr and blow your budget. You want studs too badly... :wacko:

:wacko: Great to hear, Detlef.

Now...this is the key. Take the time to make good notes. How did each of your league mates bid (patterns, confidence, trends, etc)? At what point were there great bargains remaining, and how much did you need to have on hand to swoop in? Knowing the tendencies of your owners and of the draft in general allows you to refine your plan every year. You may never be able to stick to it 100%, but you will be able to walk away with more players that you target.