[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stewart and Williams

GReatONE

Just curious what you Huddlers think about drafting both of these guys? I've ran a few mocks (12 team) and usually DeAngelo is being taken early to middle 2nd and Stewart is is still around in the beginning of the 8th. Assuming you already have a second or third back, would you pull the string? What are the negative impacts of this strategy, if any?

If you buy into the fact that DWil is going to get 75% of the touches with his new shiny contract, then the 8th round is a steep price to pay for a handcuff. It also just takes one drafter to think it's going to be a 50/50 and you don't get Stewart.

DeAngelo going in the 2nd?? The expert draft I'm in right now, I snagged him in the 5th. I find it hard to believe his ADP is round 2. That being said, DeAngelo keeps climbing up my rankings and I currently have him at #7 among RBs. I will be targeting Dwill in all my drafts this year and unless he falls to me really late, I will probably avoid Jstew.

DeAngelo going in the 2nd?? The expert draft I'm in right now, I snagged him in the 5th. I find it hard to believe his ADP is round 2. That being said, DeAngelo keeps climbing up my rankings and I currently have him at #7 among RBs. I will be targeting Dwill in all my drafts this year and unless he falls to me really late, I will probably avoid Jstew.

#7? ESPN has him 15th, fftoolbox has him 19th, Fantasy Docs has him 17th, and Pro Football Weekly has him 18th.

If i may ask, why do you have him #7? I'm assuming you have Foster, AP, CJ, Charles, Ray Rice all ahead of him, but you really rank ahead of guys like MJD, Turner, McFadden, Mendy, Gore and McCoy?

just wondering

I've never been a big fan of the handcuff. It's not very often that it becomes necessary (injury) and even when it does it's rare that the replacement performs anywhere close to your starter. That said, Stewart isn't exactly without skill. He's a known commodity & should have little drop-off if DWill should go down. He'll also get a few carries as well. I would try to get him, but only as a 4th RB and he would have to fall pretty deep before I gave him too much consideration. In all likelihood, someone in dire need of a RB will likely take him well before me. If you really want him then you can probably wait 3 or 4 weeks & get him cheap in a trade or possibly even off the waiver wire.

Edited by rajncajn

I've never been a big fan of the handcuff. It's not very often that it becomes necessary (injury) and even when it does it's rare that the replacement performs anywhere close to your starter. That said, Stewart isn't exactly without skill. He's a known commodity & should have little drop-off if DWill should go down. He'll also get a few carries as well. I would try to get him, but only as a 4th RB and he would have to fall pretty deep before I gave him too much consideration. In all likelihood, someone in dire need of a RB will likely take him well before me. If you really want him then you can probably wait 3 or 4 weeks & get him cheap in a trade or possibly even off the waiver wire.

Well stated... I do actually like handcuffing a top back if I feel that the backup is plenty capable, because usually that back is going to be worth more to me than any other team; Thus I can usually get good draft value compared to his value as my handcuff...

However, in this case it may be the opposite, where you have a proven commodity that RB desperate teams could be willing to take an early flier on, potentially erasing any good draft value you might be getting otherwise for a handcuff... Further, unless he's as deep as your RB4, then Stewart doesn't even represent a bye-week fill-in (unless you're truly comfortable starting both DWill and Stew one week, and you'd of course still need a fill-in there on their bye). If you can start more than 2 backs, than this is even more of a need for a good fill-in that Stewart probably can't provide without injury.

In short, unless you can great draft value on him after you've satisfied RB needs, then it's probably going to cost more to grab him than he'll be worth as an injury fill-in to only 1 of your players, with little value outside of that.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Let say DWill doesn't get injured for the entire season. The Panthers, surprisingly enough, brought back DWill and gave him a fat enough contract for him to stay happy there. To me that says an awful lot about what this coaching staff thinks of him and IMO reflects on how much they plan to use him this year. That alone gives me pause when considering Stewart. If that ends up not being true then you're looking at a situation, like last year, where they split carries. You'll end up either having to start both each week in order to get the points or trying to figure out which one will have the better game. Pertaining to the draft, DWill then ends up overvalued & Stewart is just about right. To me, that's wasting a draft pick on a player that you likely won't use much unless there is an injury. Looking at MFL's ADP, Williams is going at 55 & Stewart 68. In a 12 team league that's mid 5th & mid 6th respectively. Given my outlook on Williams, that's good value. For Stewart though I think you're better served waiting & hoping he drops another round to the 7th at least. Again, taking a look at ADP, here are the skill players (WR, RB, TE) that you would likely be missing out on that will probably serve you better.:

Manningham, Mario NYG WR

Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB

Grant, Ryan GBP RB

Graham, Jimmy NOS TE

Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

Ochocinco, Chad NEP WR

Garcon, Pierre IND WR

Addai, Joseph IND RB

Daniels, Owen HOU TE

Crabtree, Michael SFO WR

Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE

Spiller, C.J. BUF RB

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Thomas, Daniel MIA RB

Moss, Santana WAS WR

Green, A.J. CIN WR

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Thomas, Mike JAC WR

Smith, Steve CAR WR

Wells, Chris ARI RB

Knox, Johnny CHI WR

Bush, Reggie MIA RB

Of course I'm not so high on several of those players, but the majority of them IMO will well outscore Stewart in any scenario other than Williams getting injured and banking your season on player injury is a very good way to make sure you never win.

Edited by rajncajn

I am staying FAR FAR away from both of these guys. Single handily (or should I say in concert unison) both these guys have wrecked my teams for the last 2 years. Don't want any part of either of them this year.

The great & powerful Muto has spoken. :wacko:

:tup:

Agreed, same here and I own Williams in my dynasty league. If not for the tandem effect then for the abysmal offense they're in.

I remember trying stuff like that in drafts before. I don't remember any success stories.

Williams did miss significant time last year and it set up perfectly for Stewart, but sadly, (for me and others), it did not bear fruit :wacko:

It will not bear fruit this year either.