[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watch the NFL go powderpuff

WaterMan

Anyone complaining about this stuff at this point is an idiot. There is zero doubt that this is a major health risk to premium players and it's easily avoidable. There have been numerous rule changes throughout the league for safety, this is just another one. Remember clothsline tackles? Headslaps by pass rushers? Cool SHAM WOW! back in the day, if a player tried it now there would be a brawl. This is no different.

All the DB has to do is not lead with his helmet and the problem is solved. I saw a number of plays where the guy lined up a little bit lower, used his shoulder pads, and totally jacked the guy right in his midsection.

Anyone complaining about this stuff at this point is an idiot.

way to start an argument there. :wacko:

Some people are accusing the NFL of trying to make more money through fines. Most of the new rules are going against the defense. Why would they do that? To increase scoring of course! Increased scoring should increase ticket sales. Couple that with increased fines and the NFL should make up for that shortfall they were claiming.

Edited by WaterMan

way to start an argument there. :wacko:

Some people are accusing the NFL of trying to make more money through fines. Most of the new rules are going against the defense. Why would they do that? To increase scoring of course! Increased scoring should increase ticket sales. Couple that with increased fines and the NFL should make up for that shortfall they were claiming.

Do you know what they do with fines?

:wacko: The money from fines goes to charity. And the cleaner play can just as easily be projected into less sales/viewers due to less excitement. This is about protecting their players - both as people and as assets.

If it's about making more money then why did they move the ball for kickoffs? More touchbacks=lower scoring. You're welcome.

Some people are accusing the NFL of trying to make more money through fines.

Eh, if you look at it at the standpoint that they are trying to keep their premiere offensive players on the field. They could care less about the money from the fines. Its literally scraps to them.

I see both sides of the argument, but, watching the play in question, he definitely did not hit him with his helmet, he just layed a solid shoulder into him, which I thought was still legal. :wacko:

I see both sides of the argument, but, watching the play in question, he definitely did not hit him with his helmet, he just layed a solid shoulder into him, which I thought was still legal. :wacko:

You can't hit anyone above the waist anymore.

Apparently we were not watching the same video.

Apparently we were not watching the same video.

Guess not, just watched it again, pausing it on the hit, and it was definitely a shoulder pad that provided the contact.

It's been discussed heavily here in Denver, as one might imagine, and I think the consensus is that (Accept Alfred Williams) it was a clean hit but was still considered dangerous. Most also thing the fine was excessive, considering Moore is a rookie and 20K is crazy money to a guy making minimum salary of $450 a week.

I honestly like what Ocho did though when the rookie defender who hit him was fine also 20K. He told the press "it was a clean hit and a good hit. That's what football is about" (paraphrased of course) and then he paid the fine for the rookie. The dude is getting some nice PR points with me lately.

Guess not, just watched it again, pausing it on the hit, and it was definitely a shoulder pad that provided the contact.

So did I. So, explain why his head snapped back immediately upon contact? Looks to me like he hit him with his helmet. More importantly, it seems rather clear that he hit him in the head. And head hunting is head hunting. Are you implying that it's ever OK to go up high after a guy's head? Regardless of what you actually hit him with? Dude, his helmet was pushed halfway off his head! How, exactly does that happen without getting hit in the head? It's not going to happen by slamming your head into the ground or it would be pushed down on his head.

To quote the announcer, "In this situation, you need to aim lower or go for the ball"

ETA: and before anyone brings it up. This is totally different than a RB coming at you low. In that case, his head is, quite obviously the thing that is sticking out right at you and you shouldn't have to literally dive on the ground to avoid his head. This is a guy, stretched out, plenty of target there to hit, and you purposefully go after his head.

Edited by detlef

Something I'm curious about... Are high school and college football rules as strict with respect to protecting defenseless receivers? What I'm wondering is whether or not these hits are a learned behavior at an earlier age because, prior to the NFL, there aren't really any penalties for such hits? Certainly there aren't any fines... It makes me feel like they should just institute a rule that penalizes the player in addition to the team. 15 yards for a personal foul AND the offending player gets benched for the next two minutes of game time (or maybe 4 snaps). Second offenses within a game increase the bench time to 3 minutes of game time (or 6 snaps). Third offense within a game = ejection. It's not that getting fined doesn't hurt, but with the amount of money that some of these guys make, this might actually hit them a little more where it hurts. I'm not suggesting that the team plays shorthanded either, like in hockey. Just that someone off the bench has to step in while the offender sits on the bench waiting until his penalty time is over. Even if this isn't done at the NFL level, this is sometihng that could start to deter these hits at an earlier age in high school or college.

Edited by MTSuper7

Something I'm curious about... Are high school and college football rules as strict with respect to protecting defenseless receivers? What I'm wondering is whether or not these hits are a learned behavior at an earlier age because, prior to the NFL, there aren't really any penalties for such hits? Certainly there aren't any fines... It makes me feel like they should just institute a rule that penalizes the player in addition to the team. 15 yards for a personal foul AND the offending player gets benched for the next two minutes of game time (or maybe 4 snaps). Second offenses within a game increase the bench time to 3 minutes of game time (or 6 snaps). Third offense within a game = ejection. It's not that getting fined doesn't hurt, but with the amount of money that some of these guys make, this might actually hit them a little more where it hurts. I'm not suggesting that the team plays shorthanded either, like in hockey. Just that someone off the bench has to step in while the offender sits on the bench waiting until his penalty time is over. Even if this isn't done at the NFL level, this is sometihng that could start to deter these hits at an earlier age in high school or college.

That's an interesting point. It's almost as if high schoolers and college players and playing real football and are trying to unlearn when they come to the NFL.

That's an interesting point. It's almost as if high schoolers and college players and playing real football and are trying to unlearn when they come to the NFL.

High school players are never taught to hit like this. A friend of mine coaches HS and I asked him this last year when this issue started picking up steam - he said he would never teach a kid to hit like this and has been advised not to do so by many people for liability reasons. They say lead with your shoulders, head up, aiming for the guy's belt. The term is "eye to the sky" meaning your head should be up, not down. The kid from Citadel a number of years ago (was that Nick Buoniconti's kid?) was a prime example (as are a few more recent ones, that just sticks out) as to why - the neck and spine of the tackler are much more able to take the impact force this way than if your head is down. The problem starts in college as coaches spend no time on fundamentals and only on results. If you blow a guy up great. If you get hurt doing it they pull in the next guy. If you miss the tackle trying it you go to the bench. They teach game plan and film work, not fundamentals and technique. I know a guy that played at Michigan and he said not once did he see a defensive coach talk about tackling. They said if you didn't know how to tackle by now you weren't going to have time to learn. I can only imagine pro ball is the same way.

The rule is written as it is for a reason. There is one simple thing all players can do to avoid the flag - don't lead with your helmet. These guys aren't even trying to make a form tackle, they are putting their hands to their sides, taking aim like a missle, and going straight at the guy. This video is no exception. Of course he makes contact to the head, and it's clear as a bell at :49 it's done with the helmet to the WR's left jaw - and he launches UP and into the WR as well. This hit is a poster child for this rule.

What I really don't get is why they get all excited about the hit. Big deal, you thwacked someone with the most well protected part of your body, aiming for the most vulnerable part of the other guy, while he's focused on catching the ball, and it made a loud noise. Congratulations?

Somebody is still going to teach me how it is physically possible to lead with the top of your shoulder pads and not have the helmet make contact before the shoulder pads do. To me, the ruling should be much more about having the head up than which part of the defender makes contact with the opposing player.

If it's about making more money then why did they move the ball for kickoffs? More touchbacks=lower scoring. You're welcome.

If it wasn't about money and ONLY about "safety", they would eliminate the kickoff. The reason it was only moved back was to preserve another commercial break....which equals money.

Somebody is still going to teach me how it is physically possible to lead with the top of your shoulder pads and not have the helmet make contact before the shoulder pads do. To me, the ruling should be much more about having the head up than which part of the defender makes contact with the opposing player.

For me, it's mostly about which part of the offensive player you're going after. I don't care whether you're head-hunting with your own helmet, you shoulder, or your forearm. You're going after the head and that's the issue I have with that hit. It would have been more natural, easier, and just as effective if dude would have just driven through his chest rather than try to knock his helmet off. Yet he specifically went up high.

The rule is written as it is for a reason. There is one simple thing all players can do to avoid the flag - don't lead with your helmet. These guys aren't even trying to make a form tackle, they are putting their hands to their sides, taking aim like a missle, and going straight at the guy. This video is no exception. Of course he makes contact to the head, and it's clear as a bell at :49 it's done with the helmet to the WR's left jaw - and he launches UP and into the WR as well. This hit is a poster child for this rule.

Yeah so now you can't really hit a receiver going for a ball anymore, thus increasing catches, thus increasing scoring, thus increasing commercial breaks/ticket sales. Smart business.

Yeah so now you can't really hit a receiver going for a ball anymore, thus increasing catches, thus increasing scoring, thus increasing commercial breaks/ticket sales. Smart business.

Sure you can - just not in the head, and not with your helmet. I saw a huge stick this weekend where the safety got there right with the ball - he used his shoulderpads, thumped the guy right between the numbers, and the WR went down hard. Thing of beauty, still a huge hit (which we all love) and two plays later the WR was back for more. I wanna say it was the Jags?