[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

JUMbotron: Team Defense By Committee

JUMbotron

using Kansas City at the Jets in week 14 might just cost you a playoff win....unless, or course, you make use of the waiver wire prior.

with the amount of sacks that Vick has taken over his career I actually looked at that and thought the Eagles would be the better play

but still a very good read :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

I have used both approaches.

2 counter points I would like to make:

1) carrying two defenses means that you are.....carrying two defenses and not another chance at Arian Foster. I am a sleeper whore.

2) carrying two defenses means that you are going to deal with the wrong choice on one or more weeks. What a punch in the gut feeling it is to have the winning points on your bench in the form of a team defense you didn't start.

And a third point, albeit minor, is that those folks thT picked defenses missed out on some players, but each one only missed out on one, and none of them are exactly prize horse material.

I think the article has a lot of merit and that it is a valid strategy, but there is another side to it. For my part, I'll usually make the decision as to which strategy I am go ing to use during the draft. I'm a BPA filtered through need and availability kind of guy. I know...so is everyone else...but the point is that I wouldn't avoid picking a defense to execute a strategy if I thought they were the best player available AND could save me a roster spot and the weekly headache of making "the choice".

I also have used this approach. The league I won the super bowl last year, I used this method wonderfully, with Miami and Seattle winning the SB with Miami. I chose in my new Dynasty start up, however, to go with a solid punch and draft the Steelers earlier, feeling I had my base roster filled enough. I think both are valid strategies, considering there aren't allot of power house defenses. But if you can get a powerhouse D that net's you QB1 numbers, I think it's worth the gamble. That is as long as you fill those needed position with at least 1 good starter.

Edited by BearBroncos

using Kansas City at the Jets in week 14 might just cost you a playoff win....unless, or course, you make use of the waiver wire prior.

Yeah, Week 14 is pretty far down the road. It's a long season and knowing me I might have add/dropped DEFs a couple times by then. :wacko: I also like window-shopping for new TDBCs as new "good" DEFs emerge.

I've used this approach, but rarely take the 2nd D in the draft. I can't remember a single season where at least a few usable but not drafted Ds did not materialize during the season. And, by that time, it's also easier to see who the marks on offense are going to be.

So, I love this approach but, like Nick, do not want to waste a draft pick on D #2. It will painfully obvious by week 2 or 3 which of my late round pet picks I totally whiffed on and I can pick up my complimentary D at that point. Typically, the stigma of being a team that isn't known for having a good D will stick with a team long enough for people to pass on them regardless of the numbers they're putting up so that you can still grab one after a few weeks.

I've used this approach, but rarely take the 2nd D in the draft. I can't remember a single season where at least a few usable but not drafted Ds did not materialize during the season. And, by that time, it's also easier to see who the marks on offense are going to be.

So, I love this approach but, like Nick, do not want to waste a draft pick on D #2. It will painfully obvious by week 2 or 3 which of my late round pet picks I totally whiffed on and I can pick up my complimentary D at that point. Typically, the stigma of being a team that isn't known for having a good D will stick with a team long enough for people to pass on them regardless of the numbers they're putting up so that you can still grab one after a few weeks.

I'm also a big fan of the two Def approach, but I pick the 2nd Def of the WW.

Many, many leagues require 2 DEFs rostered- but if you don't I can see just carrying one until its bye week, I guess.

my local does. And I never use the committee approach. I'm the one taking one in the 9th

Our league, 10 team redraft w/ 16 rounds, each owner took exactly 1 defense.

Steelers D/ST 74

Eagles D/ST 75

Packers D/ST 77

Jets D/ST 78

Ravens D/ST 79

Bears D/ST 85

Patriots D/ST 121

Falcons D/ST 129

Lions D/ST 130

Chiefs D/ST 133

A few years ago before Albert went to WAS with that big contract, I had TEN D. Last year, PIT. I'm on the DET D bandwagon this year. Saw the comment about Suh, and yeah... he'll draw some ire of the refs. I still think that front 4 will make everybody else better on that D. Just my :wacko:

Many, many leagues require 2 DEFs rostered- but if you don't I can see just carrying one until its bye week, I guess.

I'll usually have one extra draft spot for the rotating kicker/TE/DST to cover those bye weeks. I try not to draft those players with the same bye week when possible, just to cover my bases :wacko:

Our league, 10 team redraft w/ 16 rounds, each owner took exactly 1 defense.

Steelers D/ST 74

Eagles D/ST 75

Packers D/ST 77

Jets D/ST 78

Ravens D/ST 79

Bears D/ST 85

Patriots D/ST 121

Falcons D/ST 129

Lions D/ST 130

Chiefs D/ST 133

A few years ago before Albert went to WAS with that big contract, I had TEN D. Last year, PIT. I'm on the DET D bandwagon this year. Saw the comment about Suh, and yeah... he'll draw some ire of the refs. I still think that front 4 will make everybody else better on that D. Just my :wacko:

Yeah I actually meant Suh is drawing fantasy hype to the Lions DEF because of his murderous talent. :lol:

Sometimes the Lions go earlier than the 10th rd (?)

"Not prudent...." :tup: