[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That was a first for me ...

Grits and Shins

Didn't take a RB until the 5th round in my local tonight, drafting from the 10 hole.

Observations:

1) QBs flew off the board much faster than I anticipated - 2.07 Vick, 2.12 Rodgers, 3.03 Brady, 3.04 Brees, 3.08 Rivers, 5.05 Romo, 6.01 Peyton Manning

2) Chris Johnson was taken at 1.05 .. I probably would have passed on him at 1.10. Ringer and Harper were not drafted

3) TE run happened in 3rd/4th/5th - 3.07 Gates, 3.10 Witten, 4.02 Clark, 4.07 Finley, 5.01 Graham, 5.08 Daniels, 5.12 Winslow

4) No SEA RB was drafted

5) Kenny Britt was drafted in the 5th round (as this teams number 1 WR)

6) Wells slipped to the 9th round

7) First defense (GB) was taken in the 6th round, followed up by a run on defenses in the 7th and 8th rounds

1 TE spot yes.. PPR 12 team league on MFL.. bronze.. $120 leagues... It's not the highest buy in.. but it's a lot to me.

So you will note he was the 2nd TE taken in the 3rd round and three more were taken in the 4th round and 3 more were taken in the 5th round.

Unless I take him at 3.10 I know I won't get him because the guy at 3.12 will take him. I'm very happy getting Witten in that spot.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I did okay on ADP ... this chart below shows my draft spot and the ADP of the player I took at that spot (for 12 team lPPR eagues)

1. 10, 13.82

2. 15, 17.15

3. 34, 51.05

4. 39, 43.43

5. 58, 46.23

6. 63, 48.84

7. 82, 75.97

8. 87, 52.47

9. 106, 109.69

10. 111, 78.1

11. 130, 87.43

12. 135, 111.78

13. 154, 149.12

14. 159, 151.10

15. 178, 174.29

16. 183, 190.36

Unfortunately winning your league isn't as easy as maximizing ADP.

So you will note he was the 2nd TE taken in the 3rd round and three more were taken in the 4th round and 3 more were taken in the 5th round.

Unless I take him at 3.10 I know I won't get him because the guy at 3.12 will take him. I'm very happy getting Witten in that spot.

So end of the 4th round for a top 5 TE.

(top 5 in no particular order)

1. gates

2. finley

3. witten

4. clark

5. davis

6. daniels

7. graham

I consider Witten 3rd round a "reach". And by reaching for him in the 3rd. You pass up on a top 24-32 overall RB/WR position. Sure the first TE went early in your league and you followed suit. I personally would have waited till ONE to TWO rounds later... gotten someone like peyton hillis, reggie wayne, miles austin, dez bryant.... and took Clark or Davis one round after.

So end of the 4th round for a top 5 TE.

(top 5 in no particular order)

1. gates

2. finley

3. witten

4. clark

5. davis

6. daniels

7. graham

I consider Witten 3rd round a "reach". And by reaching for him in the 3rd. You pass up on a top 24-32 overall RB/WR position. Sure the first TE went early in your league and you followed suit. I personally would have waited till ONE to TWO rounds later... gotten someone like peyton hillis, reggie wayne, miles austin, dez bryant.... and took Clark or Davis one round after.

The only player out of the ones you mentioned that was available was Peyton Hillis and I would NOT have drafted him in that spot. I had Witten as my top TE. I could have considered WRs like Steve Johnson, Holmes, and Lloyd ... the starting WRs I ended up with are CJ, Fitz, and Mike Williams. So you are saying I could have taken a 4th WR or a RB ... the RBs available were Hillis, Felix Jones, Moreno, Bradshaw, Grant, Greene, Blount, DeAngelo, Hightower, Mathews, Benson, Ingram, Addai ... those all look about the same to me and I ended up with 4 of those RBs.

So despite what ADP says I thought my best value at that spot was Witten.

1.10 - Calvin Johnson

No brainer pick.

2.03 - Larry Fitzgerald

It is possible I should have taken Jennings at this spot but Fitz here is not bad

3.10 - Jason Witten

I have two of my starting 3 WRs ... I can get a top WR on the turn around and get a top TE at this spot. I know from experience if I leave Witten on the board (he's my top TE) that the guy drafting at 3.12 will take him. WRs available at this spot are the likes of Steve Johnson, Holmes, Lloyd and Mike Williams all great options - and at least one of them will be there on the turn around. RBs available here are the likes of Hillis, Felix Jones, Moreno, Bradshaw, Grant, Greene, Blount, DeAngelo, Hightower, Mathews, Bensen, Ingram, Addai. All of these RBs look essentially the same to me.

4.03 - Mike Williams TB

Fills out my starting WRs and I'm happy to have him.

5.10 - Shonn Greene

As I expected at 3.10 all the RBs are about the same ... of the ones I saw at 3.10 only Hillis, Jones, Moreno, Bradshaw and Grant were taken. I was hoping to get Felix Jones but am happy to get Shonn Greene in this spot.

6.03 - DeAngelo Williams

I was hoping to get Blount but DeAngelo should be fine.

So you think my team is better if it starts out like this:

1.10 Calvin Johnson

2.03 Larry Fitzgerald

3.10 Peyton Hillis

4.03 Mike Williams

5.10 Kellen Winslow

or

1.10 Calvin Johnson

2.03 Larry Fitzgerald

3.10 Peyton Hillis

4.03 Jermichael Finley

5.10 Mike Thomas

Peyton Hillis 3rd round... from your position was 34 Overall....

o.O

I'm not sure there much more to be said then... good luck to you.

Maybe I'm just happy that I consistently got Witten in the 4th/ 5th round of these $120 leagues.

34 overall for peyton hillis!!! wowzers

That's like trading Witten for Peyton hillis! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hillis dropped over 10 picks to you at 34. Taking him would have been a no brainer....

your next pick was 39!!!!! ONly four picks later!

IF you took hillis... chances are u still would've gotten WITTEN, FINLEY or CLARK on your next pick...

illogical...

I can't sleep over this...

I'm gonna be late for work tomorrow b/c of you....

Edited by michaelman

o.O

Maybe I'm just happy that I consistently got Witten in the 4th/ 5th round of these $120 leagues.

Huddle projected stats

Hillis - 1380 yards, 10 TDs, 227 FF points

Ingram - 1300 yards, 11 TDs, 209 FF points

Greene - 1390 yards, 10 TDs, 207 FF points

Williams - 1390 yards, 7 TDs, 194 FF points

Addai - 1190 yards, 8 TDs, 190 FF points

I have 4 RBs (Ingram, Greene, Williams, Addai) that all have projected stats in the range of Hillis. I think Hillis may be a 1 year wonder so am down on him this year.

Huddle projected stats

Witten - 1010 yards, 8 TDs, 243 points

Finley - 820 yards, 8 TDs, 200 points

Looks to me like I came out ahead

o.O

Hillis dropped over 10 picks to you at 34. Taking him would have been a no brainer....

your next pick was 39!!!!! ONly four picks later!

IF you took hillis... chances are u still would've gotten WITTEN, FINLEY or CLARK on your next pick...

illogical...

I can't sleep over this...

I'm gonna be late for work tomorrow b/c of you....

This league has been around since the 90's and I'm telling you if I don't take Witten at 3.10 he won't be there. Clark was drafted by the guy at 3.11. That means I could have had Finley. But again ... look at the RBs I have (Greene, Ingram, Addai, DeAngelo Williams, Daniel Thomas, Starks) and tell me that I'm hurting by not having Hilis.

EDIT:

HILLIS at 4.12 !!!!!!!... Nvm! everything I said is out the door. You guys are PROS.

Sorry for my flamboyance.... I'm just shocked.

I don't like Hillis either but I almost have to take him if he falls to 30 overall...

or 31 overall.. or 32....33...34...35...36..37...38..39...40..41...42...43...44...45...

Edited by michaelman

EDIT:

HILLIS at 4.12 !!!!!!!... Nvm! everything I said is out the door. You guys are PROS.

Sorry for my flamboyance.... I'm just shocked.

I don't like Hillis either but I almost have to take him if he falls to 30 overall...

or 31 overall.. or 32....33...34...35...36..37...38..39...40..41...42...43...44...45...

I didn't take him because he was in a large group I considered to be equivalent type backs and I thought better value was had elsewhere, apparently the rest of my league felt about the same. Here are the RBs I have:

5.10 - Shonn Greene

6.03 - DeAngelo Williams

8.03 - Mark Ingram

10.03 - Joseph Addai

11.10 - Daniel Thomas

12.03 - James Starks

As you can see RBs were generally available late into the draft.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about taking Witten at 3.10. The response by michaelman is pretty typical of someone who is a slave to ADP. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and go with your gut. Taking someone 1 or even 2 rounds higher than their ADP is not necessarily a bad move (especially if you have a hunch, really want the guy, and are pretty sure he won't come back around to you). What am I missing that is so bad here? Looks like a pretty awesome start to me. :wacko:

I guess I don't see what the big deal is about taking Witten at 3.10. The response by michaelman is pretty typical of someone who is a slave to ADP. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and go with your gut. Taking someone 1 or even 2 rounds higher than their ADP is not necessarily a bad move (especially if you have a hunch, really want the guy, and are pretty sure he won't come back around to you). What am I missing that is so bad here? Looks like a pretty awesome start to me. :wacko:

Have to agree.

One thing everyone here seems to miss most of the time is that they have no idea about the makeup of the league. Especially a long time league where all the owners know how the other owners draft.

Done good Blitz.

That's my kind of drafting there. You wanted Witten, knew when you had to take him to get him.

Hillis may outscore Greene by 30-40 points, but then again maybe he won't. I can say with some certainty that Witten will outscore Winslow by that much, so all you need is Greene to match or exceed Hillis to come out a winner with this strategy. Definitely possible. Love it.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box and go with your gut. Taking someone 1 or even 2 rounds higher than their ADP is not necessarily a bad move (especially if you have a hunch, really want the guy, and are pretty sure he won't come back around to you).

If I may, I would like to "ditto" your comments. Mainly these comments, but especially the bolded part.

FWIW... I've become a total Huddle jocksniffer. When I'm picking, Huddle ranks take precedent over any other ranks out there I may track/use as well. Just how I roll, but it's also based on my two years of winning my divisions, and my first league title while subscribing here. I use a combo of Huddle rankings, and my own opinion. One thing I really like about this site is the insight we're given to "other considerations", kind of like JUM's defense article. Based on things like that, which I have picked over the past couple of years, I form my own opinion too.