[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting a Rb and WR on the same team

Ice717

So for the longest time I thought drafting players like Mendy and Wallace for the same team was a nono. You are essentially hedging your bet, cause if Mendy scores Wallace can't, so on and so forth. Then came the Sirius Radio draft and DMD drafted Mendy and Wallace in back to back rounds.

My whole world has been thrown for a loop. Had a big discussion with a buddy over this and wanted the huddle experts take on it all. And DMD if would like to chime in it would be much appreciated.

So for the longest time I thought drafting players like Mendy and Wallace for the same team was a nono. You are essentially hedging your bet, cause if Mendy scores Wallace can't, so on and so forth. Then came the Sirius Radio draft and DMD drafted Mendy and Wallace in back to back rounds.

My whole world has been thrown for a loop. Had a big discussion with a buddy over this and wanted the huddle experts take on it all. And DMD if would like to chime in it would be much appreciated.

Always take the players who will score the most points.

with those specific players you definitely could have got away with it last year and had a huge success....but last year they werent your 1st and 2nd (maybe 3rd) round pick.......i dont think it is a good winning formula to have a your top rb and top wr from the same team, u are almost hedging your bet in a sense. Combos like mendenhall and wallace, roddy white and turner, and foster and andre johnson (although i doubt that option would ever come up and if it did i think you would have to go for it) are the only rb wr combos that would apply to this imo

Yeah, I don't worry about it so much. It isn't ideal, but I'm not passing up value when it is there. In my last redraft I ended up with White, Matt Ryan and Gonzo. Trust me I did not plan it that way but I'm not the least bit concerned.

Always take the players who will score the most points.

+2

Mind you, should I find myself heavy on one team and I'm getting to the point in the draft where it's a bunch of random dudes, I will avoid a guy who's on the same team that I've already gone heavy with. Of course, that cost me Steve Slaton in his rookie year because I already had AJ, Schaub (as QB2) and Daniels. That would have been a nice pick.

It doesn't matter.

Until it starts snowing in Pittsburgh. Remember the 3-0 game a few years ago...?

One could argue the QB-WR C-C-Combo, i.e. Brady / Moss, Manning / Wayne, etc

I would stay away from the RB-WR tandem though. More than "hedging your bets", I look at it as creating unnecessary volatility in points distribution. Too many eggs in one basket. If a NFL team struggles one particular week you're affected greatly. (not to mention a bye week) Spread out your distribution, find key players in key roles on different teams. Get a piece of that high scoring game and not lose two to a shutout.

Haha... year 2007.. My buddy LOST in our 10 teamer and this was part of his lineup.

Tom Brady (480yds 50 TD 8 INt, 98 Rush yd. 2 Rush td)

Randy Moss (1493 yd 23 TD)

Terrel Owens (1355 yd 15 TD)

Adrian Peterson (1341 yd 12 TD, 268 yd 1 TD)

Jason Witten (1145 yd 7 td)

Laurence MArooney (835 yd 6 TD 116 yd)

This year, I drafted Austin and Witten (as noted in another thread), and I'm not looking back. I'll take those two studs anytime.

If the offense "can handle it" (for lack of a better cliche), why not? If there are enough footballs to go around, why not? Of course, making that distinction can be difficult. But that's why we pay the Huddle. At least one of the reasons I pay the Huddle.

Just my :wacko:

Getting a WR/RB duo isn't that big of a deal, IMHO. Its more a concern of a WR/QB duo that is normally not the best option. Just look at the impact of owning DJax and Vick when Vick goes down. Hell, I'd be one of those that went on a losing streak being an owner of that tandem.

Until it starts snowing in Pittsburgh. Remember the 3-0 game a few years ago...?

One could argue the QB-WR C-C-Combo, i.e. Brady / Moss, Manning / Wayne, etc

I would stay away from the RB-WR tandem though. More than "hedging your bets", I look at it as creating unnecessary volatility in points distribution. Too many eggs in one basket. If a NFL team struggles one particular week you're affected greatly. (not to mention a bye week) Spread out your distribution, find key players in key roles on different teams. Get a piece of that high scoring game and not lose two to a shutout.

I willing to bet that you like to start a WR from the same team as your opponent's starting QB in order to "nullify" that QB's points.

No, no, its good because you are like doubling the points! Weeeeeeeeee!

OK, seriously, "you play to win the game". Ditto "play the players that score the most points".

The only "trouble" is covering multiple players on a bye week or bad weather week. Which still isn't a big deal IMO. That's why we have backups and free agency. Or in other words we all share these same bye week and weather risks no matter who we pick.

The only "trouble" is covering multiple players on a bye week or bad weather week. Which still isn't a big deal IMO. That's why we have backups and free agency. Or in other words we all share these same bye week and weather risks no matter who we pick.

One minor fringe to having two players on team X is that you KNOW they have the same bye; no looking at your roster in the 7th round and going "oh sheeiit, I have 4 players with the same bye!"

I would almost always evaluate picks independently from each other and as mentioned - get the highest point scorer on your board. It would not become an issue for me unless I had three or more players on the same team because then a bad game by that team would probably doom you. But 2 players? Not a problem for me.

I really don't see an issue with it. It has worked out for me in the past:

Edge/Harrison

Jimmy Smith/Freddie Taylor (actually had Keenan McCardell, also)

Faulk/Holt

Emmit/Irvin

Addai/Wayne

Rice/Watters :wacko:

I've done Qb/WR also and it worked pretty well

Manning/Harrison

Manning/Plax

Ocho/Palmer

Brady/Branch

Warner/Holt

Warner/Anquan

Aikman/Irvin

Delhomme/Smith

Favre/Driver

Culpepper/Moss

They can work out, just has to be the right guys. Basically, if you can get Mendenhall and Wallace, do it.

I would almost always evaluate picks independently from each other and as mentioned - get the highest point scorer on your board. It would not become an issue for me unless I had three or more players on the same team because then a bad game by that team would probably doom you. But 2 players? Not a problem for me.

+1

However, having Freeman, Williams, and Blount did help me win a championship last year, but I didn't draft any of them; I picked them up in free agency.

Even with 3 it isn't THAT big a deal - you assume probably QB/RB/WR, and even if a team gets housed, the QB or WR can put up yds and maybe a td in garbage time.

Even with 3 it isn't THAT big a deal - you assume probably QB/RB/WR, and even if a team gets housed, the QB or WR can put up yds and maybe a td in garbage time.

Similarly, if the QB and WR go off in the 1st half, you can count on some love from the RB in the second as they pound the rock. Put your point about the QB and WR always being in it is dead on.