[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redraft league LB question

I am in a 14 team redraft IDP league. Standard scoring. We start 6 defensive players 1-4 of each DE/DT, LB, DB.

I have DE Allen

LB Timmons, Hawthorne, Bishop and V. Miller

DB Bell

There are plenty of good LB available - notably - Barnett, Goff, Maualuga, and Chaney

My question - do I stick with the rookie Miller or drop him for one of the above listed LB's.

I am in a 14 team redraft IDP league. Standard scoring. We start 6 defensive players 1-4 of each DE/DT, LB, DB.

I have DE Allen

LB Timmons, Hawthorne, Bishop and V. Miller

DB Bell

There are plenty of good LB available - notably - Barnett, Goff, Maualuga, and Chaney

My question - do I stick with the rookie Miller or drop him for one of the above listed LB's.

We have all four of those LBs ranked higher than Miller, but since you start four and have three very, very solid LBs, you could easily take a chance on Miller. Chaney could move back to the middle in Philly, but isn't there as of yet. Goff is in the middle for the G-men, but as of the past few years, that spot hasn't net tremendous value. Maualuga finally gets his chance in the middle for the Bengals, and could put up big numbers, but who knows. Ditto with Barnett; he could put up monster numbers as Poz's replacement in Buffalo.

If you want to play it safe, grab Barnett. If you really want to swing for the fences, stick with the rookie Miller.

I watched Miller all preseason. THis kid is a beast!! He is an absolute game changer and will be prodcutive emmediately. He's worth it if you can reach for him!

any projections on what you expect him to put up or where do you expect him to rank among LBs? Also, realize that everything we comment on here is based on huddle IDP scoring, unless a poster states what their scoring system is

Edited by keggerz

any projections on what you expect him to put up or where do you expect him to rank among LBs? Also, realize that everything we comment on here is based on huddle IDP scoring, unless a poster states what their scoring system is

He was all over the passer in the preseason but I don't see him being a sack king here, yet. Dumervil gets an uptick, however, in that Miller will be a force to reckon with up the middle. I see Miller being involved in just about every rushing play because he's able to stick the middle (I saw him knock a center on his butt while the center was shoulders down... so impressive) and he also can scat to the outside, faster than any LB'er I've seen in a while.

I see him hitting top 15 (LB's) in the first 8 games and if he gets to where his sack totals go up.... top 10 easily. This kid is amazing to watch, especially just coming out of college. He honestly looks like he's been playing for 10 years, but with rookie speed.

I’m one to call it when I’m wrong, and I was all over Denver for picking up a LB’er with that first pick. We had so many other needs and LB’er (at the time) wasn’t one of them. Now that I see him… He honestly takes a weak defensive tackle and makes him better in that teams can no longer double team on the weak side to open up gaping holes. They now need to respect the middle. And with his speed, bouncing to the outside on slants is no big deal.

He was all over the passer in the preseason but I don't see him being a sack king here, yet. Dumervil gets an uptick, however, in that Miller will be a force to reckon with up the middle. I see Miller being involved in just about every rushing play because he's able to stick the middle (I saw him knock a center on his butt while the center was shoulders down... so impressive) and he also can scat to the outside, faster than any LB'er I've seen in a while.

I see him hitting top 15 (LB's) in the first 8 games and if he gets to where his sack totals go up.... top 10 easily. This kid is amazing to watch, especially just coming out of college. He honestly looks like he's been playing for 10 years, but with rookie speed.

I’m one to call it when I’m wrong, and I was all over Denver for picking up a LB’er with that first pick. We had so many other needs and LB’er (at the time) wasn’t one of them. Now that I see him… He honestly takes a weak defensive tackle and makes him better in that teams can no longer double team on the weak side to open up gaping holes. They now need to respect the middle. And with his speed, bouncing to the outside on slants is no big deal.

A few things...first and foremost, Miller is playing SLB so his responsiblity is not the middle of the field...sure there could be some stunts but it is not the same as if he was playing MLB....

I think you are being way way way overly optimistic with regards to Miller's fantasy potential...I was really hoping you would have given a projection for tackles, assists, interceptions etc so that these comparisons could be made much easier. DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman and James Harrison are all rush OLBs in a 3-4 but they are probably the best comparison for Miller's skill set...Miller should be a beast rushing the passer...his tackle numbers will undoubtedly be depressed by playing SLB..with that said a player with a skill set similar to Miller and playing the SLB position is Aaron Curry...here you go..

2006 Shawne Merriman ranked 54th in points scored (20th PPG) 62 total tackles, 17 sacks

2007 Shawne Merriman 57th 68 total tackles, 12.5 sacks

2007 DeMarcus Ware 41st 84 total tackles, 14 sacks

2008 DeMarcus Ware 69th 84 total tackles, 20 sacks

2010 DeMarcus Ware 63rd 66 total tackles, 15.5 sacks

2008 James Harrison 72nd 101 total tackles, 16 sacks

2010 James Harrison 17th 100 total tackles, 10.5 sacks ( didn't score in double digits 5 times, the 3 LBs below him combined missed double digits just 6 times)

2009 Aaron Curry 158th

2010 Aaron Curry 127th

What I think the above points out are three major points:

1. Players that rely on big plays, even when they put up a phenomenal amount of them are not solid fantasy options if they can't sustain enough tackles

2. Highly rated, drafted college players don't always come in and dominate like you would expect.

3. Scheme Matters

Keep in mind, I'm also a homer here, but was totally against drafting V. Miller from the start. I didn't change my position until the second week into camp where I watched this kid play against both the Denver starters and preseason starters. I've never seen a player play so versatile.

I should have been clear so my apologies. Miller plays the "SAM", opposite of Dumervil, but his explosive speed allows him to back off from the outside and stuff the middle. I've also seen him blow through the TE, back behind the center and take down the RB as if the RB was standing still. As I stated, his speed off the line is unprecedented. It’s almost like he could play both sides of the field. I think Dumervil will benefit more with the pressure that Miller will offer and will take the double coverage in most cases so I think Dumervil will once again be a sack leader.

Not saying that Miller won't get the sacks. He will and plenty of them but I think Dumveril will benefit the most of having Miller.

I know I might be sounding overly optimistic, but I've attended Broncos training camp for about 20 years. I've never seen a defensive player at this caliber. Again, it's unprecedented, but it all depends if he can translate this into a regular season, 4 qtr, smash mouth consistency.

Keep in mind, I'm also a homer here, but was totally against drafting V. Miller from the start. I didn't change my position until the second week into camp where I watched this kid play against both the Denver starters and preseason starters. I've never seen a player play so versatile.

I should have been clear so my apologies. Miller plays the "SAM", opposite of Dumervil, but his explosive speed allows him to back off from the outside and stuff the middle. I've also seen him blow through the TE, back behind the center and take down the RB as if the RB was standing still. As I stated, his speed off the line is unprecedented. It’s almost like he could play both sides of the field. I think Dumervil will benefit more with the pressure that Miller will offer and will take the double coverage in most cases so I think Dumervil will once again be a sack leader.

Not saying that Miller won't get the sacks. He will and plenty of them but I think Dumveril will benefit the most of having Miller.

I know I might be sounding overly optimistic, but I've attended Broncos training camp for about 20 years. I've never seen a defensive player at this caliber. Again, it's unprecedented, but it all depends if he can translate this into a regular season, 4 qtr, smash mouth consistency.

Miller plays opposite the WLB...Dumervil is a DE and Ayers is playing opposite him