[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who should replace JoePa

n1ttanystee1ers

Proudly not having ever been on the 'Joe-must-go' bandwagon in the early-'00s and glad that he's long silenced those detractors (6 straight Bowl-appearances and an AP #3 finish in '05 and #2 as late as November in '08) my attitude is that Joe can coach as long as he likes but when the day DOES arrive that he finally is no longer going to be on the sidelines, I strongly feel that a replacement should be hired from OUTSIDE, and with his OWN STAFF. Not that the door shouldn't be left opened for any of our current staff to stay on, but 'new blood' for the most part should be put into the system. My personal choice would have to be BILL COWHER! As great of a coach he was in the NFL, and a well-derserved Super Bowl Ring to boot (he should have won MORE), I think his motivational style of coaching is even more suited for the college game. Defensive studs from ALL OVER the country (not just Big Ten Country, but Florida, Cali, etc) will want to head north even without palm trees and coeds in bikinis all year long to play for the 'Chin'! He can employ an NFL-style 3-4 for future Pro Bowl LBs further enhancing the 'Linebacker U' tradition!

Another great candidate would be Fitzgerald from Northwestern as well as Urban Meyer.

Edited by n1ttanystee1ers

This is a good question, and I think Cowher would be an excellent choice.

Given JoePa's age, I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere isn't in charge of having a contingency plan in place in case he keels over. And, if such a list exists, I wouldn't be surprised if Cowhers' name would be on that list.

With the Ohio State situation, I hope they will be "happy" with their interim coach and stay away from the likes of Urban Meyer. If we can't get him, I sure don't want to play against an Ohio State team with him at the helm.

I like the Cowher idea. Not sure if Fitzgerald would go because he is a NW man.

I'd like to see the university go outside the program, but am afraid they'll stay internal.

We'll see...one day.

Is JoePa even really in charge of the team anymore anyway? I figured by now that it he was pretty much just a figurehead, and they just let him stand on the sidelines yelling, and then go whisper in the kids' ears "now here's what we're really running here...".

I mean, before Bobby Bowden retired, people had speculated that Jimbo Fischer was doing most of the running of the team anyway... So is JoePa really still in charge there anyway?

Is JoePa even really in charge of the team anymore anyway? I figured by now that it he was pretty much just a figurehead, and they just let him stand on the sidelines yelling, and then go whisper in the kids' ears "now here's what we're really running here...".

I mean, before Bobby Bowden retired, people had speculated that Jimbo Fischer was doing most of the running of the team anyway... So is JoePa really still in charge there anyway?

Yea, the first thing that popped into my head was, "um, the guy who has already been doing most of the work". The dude is in his 80s, there has to be some coordinator that is really supervising the day to day operations.