[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting qb late. How late?

arnoldg3

I'm in ppr leagues where qb gets 4 points for td. I'm from the school of thought to draft your qb late. I usually load up on my core players and then typically start looking for a qb in the 7th ot 8th round. In my leagues decent qb's like Flacco, Stafford, Bradford E. Manning, etc. are still available. I've read articles recommending drafting a qb when 8 or 9 are off the board, and taking your second qb shortly thereafter. When you look at projected points for the season, even qbs like Cutler, McNaab and Fitzpatrick arent far behind them. Would it make sense to grab my rb 4 and wr 4 before looking at qb? I've monitored some of the actual drafts in my league and observed some of the top players choosing rb's and te's after the first 10 rounds in some cases, before selecting a qb or te. Any thoughts?

I agree that the best value right now is probably the teir with Big Ben/Shaub/Ryan in the 5th/6th/7th rounds. However, if you miss out on them, I think Stafford could be a huge steal late.

After that you have a lot of talented QBs, but none you would start each week. You could nab a Flacco/Bradford combo and probably swap them from week to week and get good production. It just depends on how safe you want to feel.

It's really hard to say. However, both Ryan and Bradford are climbing and are not going to be as cheap as they may have been in drafts held a month or even two weeks ago.

I'm all about waiting on a QB, but I'm not going to tell someone to take their WR4 and RB4 before they take one because that all depends on who those guys are.

If RB4 is Fred Jackson or Reggie Bush and that's because every QB that I'm remotely excited about is gone? Sure, I'm going to wait until round 10 and go back to back with Cutler and Fitzpatrick or something and hope for the best.

If RBs and WRs have been going off the board and you're deciding between Justin Forsett as your RB4 and Sam Bradford as your QB, then I'm grabbing my QB every time.

Honestly, that's why I'm a big, big fan of making my own top 200. First, create your positional rankings with tiers. Then, recognize how deep you need to be looking based on roster requirements. Do you start 2 RBs? A Flex? etc. Then, with that in hand, start making your list. Based on projections, positional scarcity and relevance, and line-up requirements, and discounting players who you may like but realize aren't getting drafted high, who do you like best between the best available QB/RB/WR? He's your #1. OK, how 'bout among the remaining? And so on. That means, when it's round 8, you can see where the best available guys at each position stack up on your top 200 and let that influence your call.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I see a rather dogmatic theme in your posts. You're looking for absolute answers and there just aren't any. You need to decide who you like and try to get those guys but not at the total expense of taking who naturally falls to you. Then you'll end up with a team you feel good about but one that is not so tightly wrapped around your ego that you need to nail every one of your hunches.

In a 12 team (PPR, 3 pt passing TD) no money, friends and family league, QBs always go fast and furious and I decided I wanted to make a point this year. I was going to go for a QB late and stock up on my other positions while the QB feeding frenzy was on. I almost picked up Ben in the 6th, but he went right before me. I almost got Flacco or Cutler in the 10th, but they when 2 and 3 picks before me. As a result, I went with McNabb in the 10th and Fitzpatrick in the 11th. Not pretty, but I am very strong at every other position, so I'm not really worried.

QBs: McNabb, Fitzpatrick

RBs: Ray Rice, Peyton Hillis, Felix Jones, Brandon Jacobs

WRs: Calvin Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Mike Thomas

TE: Witten

DEF: GBP

If you are going for a QB late I would focus on Stafford and his upside. When his body has been upright he's shown he can deliver, plus he has many pass catching weapons around him. Eli and Flacco are steady but they are nothing that will blow your hair back. If you are drafting a QB late that means you are looking for a sleeper that no one sees coming but ends up in the top 10 at the end of the season. Your biggest upside potential late in the draft will be from Stafford and Bradford as well. Josh McDaniels offense could produce Ortons numbers from last year, and he didn't even play the whole year.

If you are going for a QB late I would focus on Stafford and his upside. When his body has been upright he's shown he can deliver, plus he has many pass catching weapons around him. Eli and Flacco are steady but they are nothing that will blow your hair back. If you are drafting a QB late that means you are looking for a sleeper that no one sees coming but ends up in the top 10 at the end of the season. Your biggest upside potential late in the draft will be from Stafford and Bradford as well. Josh McDaniels offense could produce Ortons numbers from last year, and he didn't even play the whole year.

Not necc. Maybe you're just looking for a guy who won't suck mightily and take advantage of the better players you have at RB and WR to make up the difference. At least that's my rationale. Sure, if dude breaks the top 10, great. But my rationale for waiting is that, even if he doesn't and finishes 15th or so, I figure he's not going to be that much worse than 8-12, who are all legit starters.

Which is why Eli is a great choice back there. He drops because he's not everyone's darling. He's just going to quietly get you 3500+ and upwards of 30TDs, which is fine in my book, especially if I'm stacked everywhere else because I waited on a QB.

in a draft two weekend's ago, i drafted ryan in the fifth. i passed on manning (yes, he did fall that far but i swore not to touch that offense) and the rapist. ideally, i wanted to wait at least one more round, but i knew that i wanted to target the 2nd tier and most of the 1st was already gone. i like ryan's upside more than big ben, so i reacted early and jumped on ryan.

i wouldn't wait too long after the first tier cause someone might reach for stafford before you can grab him later.

i wouldn't want kolb and mccoy as my two.

dumbass that i am, i took freeman a couple of rounds later without realizing that him and ryan have the same bye week. doh!

Edited by slainte